VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently purchased an ESS Solo-1 (PCI) for use with DOS on a board which no free ISA slots. However, this particular chip has DOS support disabled by default. The only way to enable them is through the use of the Windows 3.1 drivers; there is no DOS utility.

The driver actually sets some programmable bits on the chip itself, see here:

ESS erklärt bei dieser Ausgabe übrigens 0A0Dh zum neuen Standard für Zeilenumbrüche. ;-) (Eigentlich sollte es ja 0D0Ah sein.) […]
Show full quote

ESS erklärt bei dieser Ausgabe übrigens 0A0Dh zum neuen Standard für
Zeilenumbrüche. 😉 (Eigentlich sollte es ja 0D0Ah sein.)

Die Essolo.ini ist exakt 16 Byte groß und sieht bei mir in
Hex-Schreibweise so aus:
20 02 01 00 88 03 05 00 01 02 30 03 01 00 00 00

Dort finden sich also die ganzen Einstellungen wieder, die die
Essaudio.com dann in die Karte programmiert. Mittels Allregs.exe
(http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/pciset.zip) von Uwe Sieber fanden sich
folgende Unterschiede vor und nach dem Aufruf von Essaudio.com.

vorher: nachher:
40, 7F = 0111.1111 40, 5F = 0101.1111
41, 90 = 1001.0000 41, 10 = 0001.0000

51, 00 = 0000.0000 51, 21 = 0010.0001

Was lernen wir daraus?
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/datashee … ess/DsSolo1.pdf)

40h = Legacy Audio Control
Bit 5 IA I/O address aliasing control
1 = 10-Bit I/O address (default)
-> 0 = 16-Bit I/O address

41h = Legacy Audio Control
Bit 7 LA Legacy audio address decode disable
1 = Disable legacy audio (default)
-> 0 = Enable legacy audio

51h = Solo-1 Configuration
Bits 6:5 IRQP ISA IRQ emulation policy
0 0 = Emulation is disabled
-> 0 1 = PCI IRQ is one of IRQ5/7/9/10
1 0 = PCI IRQ is not one of IRQ5/7/9/10
1 1 = Reserved

Bits 2:0 DMAP DMA policy
0 0 0 = Distributed DMA
-> 0 0 1 = Transparent DMA
0 1 0 = PC/PCI DMA
0 1 1 = Reserved
1 x x = WBDMA

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=de&fromgr … eY/McUyHa4HDsoJ

http://www.mail-archive.com/freedos-user@list … t/msg07288.html

I found the pciset utility for enabling these optons but I cannot determine how to use it and I cannot speak German to read these instructions.

What I need is someone who has one of these cards to install the drivers for it in Win311, confirm that it works, zip up the windows folder, and send it to me.

Thanks SO much.

Reply 1 of 16, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You don't need no pciset utility. All you need are the dos drivers.
So, I have included the drivers I have. Any package should do the trick.
ESSOLO.SYS should go in config.sys, but is not necessary. I did not use it at all.
To initialize the card use ESSOLO.COM
If you have any more trouble just ask and I shall see what I can do to help.

Attachments

• Filename
    ESS 1938.ZIP
    File size
    3.24 MiB
    Downloads
    714 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Esssolo 1.zip
    File size
    774.07 KiB
    Downloads
    744 downloads
    File license

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 2 of 16, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a sidenote, ESS models are some of the easiest soundcards to work with. The first S/C in my first PC was a Miss Melody ESS688, which I replaced later with a Pine Schubert ESS 1868F. In games with ESFM option (there are a few of them) they sound better than OPL3 FM music.
All cards up to PCI Solo kept the ESFM block, which was sadly removed in newer PCI chips like Maestro and Canyon.
But Solo is the perfect PCI card when it comes to DOS compatibility.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 3 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am unable to get the card to recognize with these drivers. Also, I believe that anything other than the Windows 3.11 drivers include the utility to enable DOS support on the chip.

If you have this card, I would be most grateful if you would please install the drivers onto a copy of Windows 3.11 and send it to me. 😀

Reply 4 of 16, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose you' re missing the .INI file. Unzip the attached file into C:\ and run ESSOLO.COM. It should work, I did a quick check with my Solo-1 card and I didn't need to run Windows.

Attachments

• Filename
    SOLO1DOS.ZIP
    File size
    25.39 KiB
    Downloads
    642 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 16, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Kahenraz
ESSOLO.COM should work in DOS mode. If it does not, then either you do not have a Solo, either the card does not work.

EDIT:
There were some re-marked CMI 8338/8378 soundcards. I know, I had a so-called Yamaha 724 which was in fact a CMI 8338.
As a clue, CMI soundchips do not need a crystal oscillator, they use the bus frequency. They do not have a separate D/A convertor either.
So, if the card does not have an crystal oscillator and a codec, it means is a re-marked CMI.

Reply 6 of 16, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Kahenraz
Buddy, is obvious english is not your mother language (no offense meant).
Where are you from?

Reply 7 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose you' re missing the .INI file.

I am using the exact same files. ESSOLO.SYS recognizes the card but ESSOLO.COM is telling me that legacy support needs to be enabled in Windows. This is done by flipping some bits -on the chip- and is only done in the Windows 3.11 driver utility. The drivers for some reason will not install for me.

Please, I would be very grateful if someone with this card would send me a copy of Win 3.11 with these drivers installed.

I am unable to install the Windows 3.11 drivers or any of the VXD-based drivers (I tried on 95 and 98se). However, the Windows 98 WDM drivers work and the sound card does emit both wav and midi audio; so I assume it does work. Again, the card is recognized under DOS but it does not have the legacy bits enabled!

As a clue, CMI soundchips do not need a crystal oscillator

My board is marked as a Solo-1 on the chip and it also does have a crystal oscillator at 14.31818 Mhz.

Reply 9 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I purchased a second ESS Solo-1 card and it has the exact same problem. When I try to install the drivers in Windows 3.11 all I get is a blank window. And in Windows 95 and 98 it does not recognize the card with the VXD drivers. Here are the ones I bought:

Both of them also emit a lot of static and a high-pitched whine from the speaker port. I tried them in two motherboards with different hardware/power supplies and they do this on both boards..

Ironically with its native SB emulation, the one card has an SB-LINK port on it.

t2ec16dhjhoe9n3kgiucbrd.JPG

t2ec16rw0e9sznyheobrb1i.JPG

Reply 12 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm downsizing a considerable amount of my sound card collection and have them all listed on AmiBay, including a few Solo-1 cards, under the same username. There are even a few MM-401 cards (MPU-401 clones) as well.

Reply 13 of 16, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am getting CRAZY with this card.

In win98se I can choose "WDM" or "VXD" drivers. With WDM no Dossupport, VXD provides Dossupport, installs essolo.sys/com and "Solo1-Dos-Emulation" this worked just fine for SB-Support and Adlib/Opl music (388), but after I made a Win98se reinstall the "Solo-Dos-Emulation" does not work anymore for the Adblib/Opl Sound in Dos-Windows while running win98se.

The essvol shows that the Mixer is set to "0" für "synthesis" the mixer in windows is ignored for "synthesis" and the mixer in dos "essvol /S:10" is ignored to. "essvol" shows alway a muted "synthesis" in dos and therefore no Adblib/Opl sound ....argh, I spent 7 Hours and can't find the failure. What a f's'...

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 15 of 16, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to disable gameport and mpu ? i can only set the card full on or off..

I using SIS DDMA.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 16 of 16, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

matze79, check out this post. To disable both the gameport and MPU-401 interface, run this command after the "driver" has been loaded (it's the second uncommented line of the batch file with the changes I made highlighted in bold):

PCISET 1969 125D 40 11111111 01110011

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22