VOGONS

Common searches

Favourite version of Windows?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is your favorite version of Windows or any operating system? I like 95, 98, and MS-DOS.

Reply 4 of 72, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i like most versions of windows, especially the ones that weren't that sucessfull:
windows 98se: excellent for both dos and 9x gaming
windows me: like 98se for 9x gaming but with integrated usb and better networking
windows 2000: excellent stability and reliability
windows xp: really great longevity, it can run on hardware as old as 1996(with top of the line hardware of that year, not great) up to 2016 (not very useful due to software)
windows vista: i like aero a lot, and it wasn't that bad
windows 7: really good and reliable, sadly it's starting to get less hardware support
windows 8.1: more optimized than windows 7, but fewer hardware support
windows 10: it's cute, but i don't like the "windows as a service" model (really slow internet=no windows update)

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 5 of 72, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like KolibriOS, since it's so organic.. Also Win 2.x,Win 3.1x.
For experimenting, 98SE/XP, since it can run useful devilopment software.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 72, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows NT 3.51 stable and it did have that classic look.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 7 of 72, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 3.1 will be probably my all time favourite, because I learned so much during its time, and it still runs 286s. I loved playing around with icon editors to create icons for all my DOS games and stuff. Also was intrigued with multitasking and the likes.

Windows 95 also was pretty nice. Allowed for some serious gaming. I switched away from windows during the Win2000 era, first to Linux, then OSX. Only recently due to work requirements I am now running Windows 10 on my work laptop. It is ok, I guess. Doesn't get much in the way, but then again, I run a Linux VM most of the time... 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9 of 72, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did in the day (06ish) and.......

- no security software available (at the time)
- drivers in general weren't available for 64-bit or well tested in it. Too early. (i.e. no sblive drivers)
- Certain games' asshole drm doesn't work for the lack of a 64-bit driver (*cough*StarForce*cough*)
- No 16-bit stuff of course 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 72, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Client:

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 because it has better networking than 3.1
Windows XP stood the test of time. Quick and rock solid for the most part (I may be a bit biased here being MS certified on it)
Windows 7 like XP I can see this outliving its proposed EOL date by quite some time

Server:

NT 3.5, fun to mess about with and you actually have to think about what you are doing (no hand holding here) so you have to have at least some clue as to what you are doing.
2003 (also certified on this (done at the same time as XP)).
(sadly due to machine limitations that is far as I can reasonably get emulating servers with any hope of truly knowing what they are like. Glacial performance does tend to cloud ones judgement.)

Reply 12 of 72, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since you dumped MS-DOS in with Windows I guess I can come out and say OS/2 Warp 3?

Errius wrote:

Has anyone used Windows XP Professional 64-bit version? What's it like?

I tried it out of curiosity and for home/gaming use it was pure shit.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 72, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98SE and XP Pro 32 bit. Rock solid operating systems, I put those two on just about every system I had.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 16 of 72, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Windows 98SE and XP Pro 32 bit. Rock solid operating systems, I put those two on just about every system I had.

You could describe Win98 with many superlatives. Reliable was not one of them.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 72, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XP, VISTA, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

I don't have a problem with any of these OS. Anything before that and I'm very suspicious of. Win 3.x is a garbage DOS overlay. Win 95 and 98, 98SE are unreliable and eventually eat themselves. XP was the first actually reliable Windows OS for long term.

Yes I maintain and enjoy systems with DOS,Win 3.11, Windows 98SE, etc but I would not consider them reliable or good operating systems. Install the wrong update on a 98 machine and it will never boot again, particularly when dealing with Direct X support.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2019-01-21, 21:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 72, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote:

XP, VISTA, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

I gauge an OS' stability by the number of support requests I get from my father-in-law, who has a knack for knackering his installs. Windows 10 wins - I don't think he's managed to cock that up once, touch wood.

Windows 7 for me - pretty solid, looked nice, and I could still find all the settings I wanted to twiddle. I hate how 8+ hide the good stuff to protect myself from myself.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.