VOGONS

First post, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all!

I got hold of one of those nice dual floppy drives which has both a 3.5" drive and a 5.25" drive in the same casing, it's a TEAC FD-505

The 3.5" works and reads disks just fine, but the 5.25" drive has a problem.

I can list the contents of disks just fine, but when I try to copy files to the hard drive I always get an error:

"Sector not found reading drive B:"

Unfortunately I don't have any other 5.25" drives to make sure the disks themselves are actually readable, but I have tried several different disks and they all give the same error.

The manual I found is less than helpful, and suggests I contact TEAC support. 🤣
https://nfggames.com/X68000/Documentation/Flo … %20Diskette.pdf

"Seclor not found error === Head seek error or drive out of alignment."

I have lubed up the rails, and cleaned the heads with alcohol, and mechanically everything seems to move as it should (except that it's a bit noisy).

Anyone have any tips what I should try?

Edit: So, it turns out it can actually read SOME files from the disks... If I press (I)gnore when the error pops up a couple of times it will eventually go on and copy some of the files before choking again. Head alignment issue?

Reply 2 of 6, by 32bitdx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found letting the drive "warm up" after like 10min or so sometimes work. Do an xcopy b:*.* c:\scratch/s for example and continue to hit retry. I have been able to recover files that way. I think that 5.25" drives in general are way more clunky and lose alignment over the years, especially the top head that moves up and down.

Reply 3 of 6, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anecdotally, I got one NOS from Ebay recently and had nothing but trouble. It seemed OK at first, but the 3.5" drive started having trouble reading the end of disks. Formatting them resulted in "bad sectors" that were not bad when reformatting on other drives. The 5.25" drive worked pretty well, but did have some problems reading at least one disk that another drive read fine (not terribly uncommon), and then crinkled the hub of one disk that I somehow(?) managed to insert incompletely before the clamp engaged. Still have no clue how that happened.

I took the 3.5" drive out and tried to replace it with another laptop floppy drive, but it didn't fit the mounting holes and faceplate, and didn't work anyway. So then I tried to remove the useless ribbon cable connecting the two drives so I could just use it as a 5.25" along with a normal 3.5" drive... and accidentally came in a little too low with the iron and melted the plastic shell around one of the head ribbon cable slots. The 5.25" stopped working after that, even though the ribbon could still be inserted. I briefly considered replacing the connector, but given all the other trouble I had with the thing, figured I would be better off without it.

So -- take it with a grain of salt. Some user error, lots of issues with what seemed to be a finicky piece of equipment... maybe I'm just unlucky, but I decided against pursuing another one. I'm using an Epson combo drive now that works pretty well.

On a related note, it seems Teac's later drives just did not hold up well. I have two late-model 3.5" drives -- one works.. okay. The other couldn't read any disk without errors no matter what I did. I have early Teacs, Sony, Mitsumi, and Alps drives that work fine. Also a Samsung that is obviously cost-reduced, and works... well enough.

Aside from that, 5.25 drives seem to be a little more fragile. I've lost two recently. An old Toshiba that I have some hope of fixing -- it worked for a while, but started acting up kind of out of the blue. Hoping I can clean its rails and have it returned to service. (Will have to take it apart to do so.) Another Mitsumi gave up after a recent earthquake. It was installed in my 386 desktop, which I was doing some work on, so I had it resting on top of a baby AT mini tower. Earthquake hit early that morning and knocked it off the tower. I found it sitting upside down on the floor -- having taken an NEC 84i SCSI CD drive along for the ride. The floppy drive refused to read disks anymore, but everything else survived with nothing but a few new dings and scratches on the cases. Not sure if that one's salvageable or not, but I kept it just in case.

Reply 4 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check your disks and look if you don't see circular scratches. When I first tested all my 5"1/4 disk drives, ALL my disks (10-20 disks) were bad ... but since I hadn't any other disk, I really thought all my drives were bad, but no, my disks were just rubbish and started to destroy themselves in my drives by pulling off the magnetic stuff that's on the disks. Later I bought many other disks, and I never had this problem with these, so that's definitely these disks having a problem, and not the drives. I also had that problem with 3.5" disks, but it seems more rare.

From my (small) experience, it seems 1.2MB disks are the most fragile, while 360KB disks are much more reliable. But your experience may vary depending on how they were stored, and whatever variable makes disks I buy dead when other people have bought tons of them in the wild with sometimes terrible storage conditions and still have none of these issues ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. My experience was a bit different here.
Back in the 90s, I had barely issues with 5.25" 1.2MB drives in comparison to 3.5" 1.44MB drives.
(In these times, my father and me often got ourselves 5.25" shareware floppies! ^^)

Perhaps the problems are with the disks really. I remember that when I got 360K disks from a family friend,
they were all in bad shape. Some had corrosion (?) on the surface.
This gave me a hard time making backups of some classic programs.

Hm. Another source for problems could be the fact that 5.25" drives often have got no dust cover.
They are entirely open. If the PC is located in a slightly dusty room, all kinds of smoke and dust are flowing through the case.

Edit: I also recommend trying another ISA floppy controller card before giving up.
Back in the 586 times, I sometimes had issues with the on-board controller in conjunction with 5.25" drives.
Perhaps it was because of the big drives requiring a different electrical signaling (stronger signals; higher voltage, etc.).

Edit: I think Deksor is right about storinng being an important part here.
Since my father worked in computer field back then, I was teached to handle disks properly (diskette boxes, disk sleeves, no magnets in reach).
That's why I do have little experience with the "normal" way of handling disks. Shame on me. hah. 😅

Edit: Another idea that comes up my mind.. Perhaps some of the capacitors or diodes on the drive are defective ?
I guess they are important for safe data transfer. Maybe recapping and/or checking them (multimeter, capacitance meter and so on) might give some clues.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW I also have a TEAC dual 3.5"/5.25" floppy drive unit that won't read 5.25" disks. It's not the floppies as they work in my other 5.25" drives. In case you ever manage to make it work I'd be interested in hearing about it...

Hard Disk Sounds