VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27121 of 52728, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

1982 to 2001

Reply 27122 of 52728, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
s-l1600(2).jpg

A cookie goes to anyone who can spot why I bought this lot.

😀

You want to test which is more painful to walk on, Lego or graphics cards? 🤣

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 27123 of 52728, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a Audigy 2 ZS notebook PCMCIA, for 10 euros shipped

c3ZSLOI.jpg

Tested it on my IBM Thinkpad T42p, sticks out a little bit but seems to work fine

IwFmAfc.jpg

CD has only WDM drivers, so I guess it wont work on win98... I wonder what will happen if I force install the VXD driver from the desktop Audigy 2 ZS CD

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 27125 of 52728, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
God Of Gaming wrote:
Found a Audigy 2 ZS notebook PCMCIA, for 10 euros shipped […]
Show full quote

Found a Audigy 2 ZS notebook PCMCIA, for 10 euros shipped

c3ZSLOI.jpg

Tested it on my IBM Thinkpad T42p, sticks out a little bit but seems to work fine

IwFmAfc.jpg

CD has only WDM drivers, so I guess it wont work on win98... I wonder what will happen if I force install the VXD driver from the desktop Audigy 2 ZS CD

It won't work. I tried for a few hours to get the same card installed in Win98SE.

I even tried modifying the .inf file to include the ID for the PCMCIA card. It still didn't make it work.

I'm guessing it might be possible to get it working with some more in-depth hackery since it is supposed to be the same hardware as a regular Audigy 2 ZS.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27126 of 52728, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
Finally managed to pick up an original SB Pro. Happy to have this card in my Sound Blaster Collection! […]
Show full quote

Finally managed to pick up an original SB Pro. Happy to have this card in my Sound Blaster Collection!

wVOxPeSl.jpg

I'm curious but besides nostalgic reasons, is there any reason to get a Pro over a SB16 for old builds?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 27127 of 52728, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:

I'm curious but besides nostalgic reasons, is there any reason to get a Pro over a SB16 for old builds?

Certain people get annoyed by the "DMA clicking" issue of the SB16, although personally I don't even notice it. Others also claim the Pro is a "silent" card compared to the early SB16, but in my experience the Pro tends to pick up a lot of ISA bus noise and doesn't even allow you to disable the internal amplifier unlike the SB16.

Other than that, assuming the SB16 has a genuine OPL3 chip there should be no major difference.

Reply 27128 of 52728, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

It won't work. I tried for a few hours to get the same card installed in Win98SE.

I even tried modifying the .inf file to include the ID for the PCMCIA card. It still didn't make it work.

I'm guessing it might be possible to get it working with some more in-depth hackery since it is supposed to be the same hardware as a regular Audigy 2 ZS.

I see, I thought that would be the case. Oh well, I have 98SE and Win2000 on this laptop, guess I will use this card for Win2000, and find some older PCMCIA card for 98SE like a Panasonic Sound Card Pro.

Reply 27129 of 52728, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote:
red_avatar wrote:

Certain people get annoyed by the "DMA clicking" issue of the SB16, although personally I don't even notice it. Others also claim the Pro is a "silent" card compared to the early SB16, but in my experience the Pro tends to pick up a lot of ISA bus noise and doesn't even allow you to disable the internal amplifier unlike the SB16.

Other than that, assuming the SB16 has a genuine OPL3 chip there should be no major difference.

I have one of them Jazz16's, that do not pick up any ISA noise or noise from drives loading. And it has no DMA clicking noise. The specs are nearly identical to an SB-Pro card. Now, the bad part is that I have no idea what Jazz16 model it is.

EDIT:
It is shown in my blog, as I used it, when building my dx33 machine.

Last edited by brostenen on 2019-02-06, 18:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27130 of 52728, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Lian Li Aluminum cases arrived today.
Best packaging I has seen in a long time.
If you ask the shippers to package well they usually do.
I hate it when electronic arrive all broken up from shipping.
Such a waist of money and time. No one wins.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0636.JPG
    File size
    1.18 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27131 of 52728, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
I have one of them Jazz16's, that do not pick up any ISA noise or noise from drives loading. And it has no DMA clicking noise. T […]
Show full quote
TheMobRules wrote:
red_avatar wrote:

I have one of them Jazz16's, that do not pick up any ISA noise or noise from drives loading. And it has no DMA clicking noise. The specs are nearly identical to an SB-Pro card. Now, the bad part is that I have no idea what Jazz16 model it is.

EDIT:
It is shown in my blog, as I used it, when building my dx33 machine.

Assuming one is able to obtain one of the early revision AWE32 cards that have real OPL3 chip, and using separate mpu401 intelligent mode card, is that the ideal, or is there still something that the sb 16 or pro 2 do better?

Reply 27132 of 52728, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
s-l1600(2).jpg

A cookie goes to anyone who can spot why I bought this lot.

😀

I see multiple reasons, but I assume it's the Sierra Aria sound card.

Correct sir. 😁

*hands you a cookie*

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27134 of 52728, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

[...]

Correct sir. 😁

*hands you a cookie*

Om nom nom 😀

🤣

By the way, I just grabbed these to go with it.

ariadisks.jpg
Filename
ariadisks.jpg
File size
331.6 KiB
Views
File license

Not too often that I find a listing for the original installation disks for a very rare sound card the week before I find the card itself. Might as well have them together. After selling off what I don't need\want from the other lot I'll likely have more than paid off the lot and the disks, and I'll have a nice card with disks for my meager collection. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27135 of 52728, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today's haul is:

1. The only TFX power supply I've ever seen with -5v output, for 'projects'

2. Nvidia 6800GT AGP - Just like my old one, for my old Athlon PC from 2004/5 that I'm piecing back together. This goes with my Biostar M7NCG-400 motherboard and mobile barton 2500 with some Corsair XMS Pro LED memory, I'm so glad my friend gave me back these parts once he decided they were too old 😁
I actually had a few 6800GT cards back in the day, but this one has the right Galaxy cooler on it. The bearings are completely ruined, sounds terrible unless it's on its side, but it runs okay when the fan is face down. Now to test it! I just replaced the VRM thermal pads, cleaned the BGA ram and replaced the paste on the GPU, now to power it up, hopefully it works without artifacting?

Galaxy 6800GT.jpeg
Filename
Galaxy 6800GT.jpeg
File size
811.34 KiB
Views
File license

I've been finding so much good stuff lately, I need to find the time to put these things together 😀

Also not so retro, but I recently got a 3d printer, which is where alot of my time has gone lately, CAD is time consuming.

Reply 27136 of 52728, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:

That's a lovely system and I like the cooling solution - a friend had something similar on his Athlon PC - very loud though aren't they?

I think it's a bit of a shame the power supply is also period correct, don't Q-tech have a really bad reputation? like that 500w value is max, and average load is lower?

You can adjust their speed with a potenciometer (one per each), and make them pretty silent. If you go for maximum speed, then they can get even louder than the previous coolers, but going after max speed is unnecessary.

As for the PSU...i don't know. Did Q-tech had a really bad reputation?
This is actually my power supply from my athlon XP all the way back to 2004 or 2005. At the moment it's the only power supply i own with decent amps on the 5V rail (35 amps, the motherboard manual says it requires 30 amps). That's the problem with socket A systems, they require too many amps from the 5V rail. Phill actually did a video about that a while ago!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 27137 of 52728, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arrived in mail today… Philips PC works perfectly fine. HDD is full od private doc and xls files prior to 1996. All in german. It has interesting motherboard with 386SX CPU mounted on some external extension card. I'm going to pimp it up abit and sell it (I'm saving HDD and 5,25" floppy for myself though).

WP_20190206_18_50_44_Proaa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190206_18_50_44_Proaa.jpg
File size
352.47 KiB
Views
File license

Also this 286 mobo with TACT chipset is quite interesting I think…

WP_20190206_18_22_57_Proaa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190206_18_22_57_Proaa.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 27138 of 52728, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't posted anything for a while due to horrible amount of work but... that doesn't mean I have forgot about retro... oh no!
Things bought in last mont of a little more:

Finally my Gravis Classic pack is almost complete (box and second daughterboard)

GravisClassic.jpg
Filename
GravisClassic.jpg
File size
142.44 KiB
Views
File comment
Gravis Ultrasound Classic Bundle
File license

Two identical ProVideo Voodoo 2 - both on 110 Elite MT chips

pro-video-voodoo-2.jpg
Filename
pro-video-voodoo-2.jpg
File size
134.62 KiB
Views
File comment
Pro Video Voodoo 2 110Mhz
File license

My favorite cooling producer. Alpha. Radiators, K7, P3, S370, S487...

Alpha_bundle.jpg
Filename
Alpha_bundle.jpg
File size
117.37 KiB
Views
File comment
Alpha Cooling
File license

Beside Quantum 3D, Canopus is my faforite brand, here are boxed 8800 (GF2Ultra), WF17 (MX460) and 5400R2 (TNT2)

Canopus.jpg
Filename
Canopus.jpg
File size
137.96 KiB
Views
File comment
Canopus
File license

Something interestin, motherboard wiht both slot 1 and slot 2 on board... (imaginte testing Xeon vs PPro on Slotket on one motherboard... 😀 )

Atrend.jpg
Filename
Atrend.jpg
File size
164.83 KiB
Views
File comment
Atrend
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 27139 of 52728, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And second part (5 attachements is max?)

NOS Casio SZ-70 speakers with built in midi module

Casio.jpg
Filename
Casio.jpg
File size
137.98 KiB
Views
File comment
Casio SZ70
File license

Boxed Miro PCM12