VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darkbluesky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

For years I have been willing to replay SOMI another time, but I wanted to use the version which has the MI2 UI, so with less verbs and images for the inventary. This is the CD version. The problem is that it has also CD music, and I wanted to play it with adlib/SoundBlaster one. I prefer it over the CD tracks.

I know that the CD versions SHOULD play adlib if CD tracks are not present, they came even with a configuration tool for that! but I have tried, launching command line with 'a' modifier, without CD on tray, nor a CD image, neither the tracks in the game folder...whatever but I simply end without any sound/music.

Do you know how can I force it to play adlib music instead of CD? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the CD version also have a problem with sound/music not working if the CPU is too fast? Or is this only a problem on the original floppy release?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 5, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darkbluesky wrote:

I know that the CD versions SHOULD play adlib if CD tracks are not present

Are you absolutely sure about that? I can't remember getting the CD version to play any AdLib music in ScummVM. I don't have the original CD release of Monkey1, I just extracted the original files from the 2009 Special Edition release.

The way I see it, it would make sense to omit AdLib music in the CD version. If you can play the CD version, then you obviously have a CD-ROM drive. And since the music is just CD audio, you wouldn't even need an AdLib or SoundBlaster card to hear it, since most (if not all) CD-ROM drives of that era would have had a headphone jack on the front that you could use to listen to the music.

Reply 4 of 5, by zarkon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
Darkbluesky wrote:

I know that the CD versions SHOULD play adlib if CD tracks are not present

Are you absolutely sure about that? I can't remember getting the CD version to play any AdLib music in ScummVM. I don't have the original CD release of Monkey1, I just extracted the original files from the 2009 Special Edition release.

The way I see it, it would make sense to omit AdLib music in the CD version. If you can play the CD version, then you obviously have a CD-ROM drive. And since the music is just CD audio, you wouldn't even need an AdLib or SoundBlaster card to hear it, since most (if not all) CD-ROM drives of that era would have had a headphone jack on the front that you could use to listen to the music.

Actually with the 2009SE release, you should be able to get it to play adlib using Logicdeluxe's ultimate talkie edition batch.

But I think the OP is out of luck with the CD edition. Pretty sure SE + ultimate talkie batch is the only way to get Adlib + MI2 GUI in SOMI. But even then it'd sound different because of the scumm engine changes compared to the floppy version

Reply 5 of 5, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked the reference card that came with my CD version to see if it made any mention and it only mentions SOUND:

Switch to the CD-ROM drive (if it is drive D, type "d:" and press ENTER). Type "monkey" and press ENTER. This will start the launcher application. If you have no previous installation of The Secret of Monkey Island you will be shown a screen of text, followed by a sound card configuration. Select your sound preference, press ESC lo save, and continue lo the main screen. To launch The Secret of Monkey Island choose "Monkey Island/'.

If, when you attempt to run the game from the launcher, you get the message "Cannot initialise SoundDriver", you should delete the file monkey.ini, from your \monkey directory, and then re-run the launcher.

Then I checked the reference manual that came with my disk version:

Setting Preferences When loaded, the program will check to see if you have a mouse driver or joystick installed, or a Roland, Ad […]
Show full quote

Setting Preferences
When loaded, the program will check to see if you have a mouse driver or joystick installed, or a Roland, Adlib, GAMEBLASTER, or SOUNDBLASTER sound board, and will set up the game appropriately. If you wish to override these default settings, you may do so by adding the following letters (separated by spaces) after typing monkey when you start the game:
r Roland MT-32 or LAPC-1 sounds
a Adlib Music Synthesizer or SOUNDBLASTER sounds
g GAMEBLASTER sounds
ts Tandy sounds
i Normal Sounds sounds (internal speaker)
m MCGA graphics mode
v VGA graphics mode
e EGA graphics mode (high resolution)
mo Use mouse mouse control
j Use joystick control
k Use keyboard control

For example, to start the game in MCGA graphics mode with Adlib sounds, type:
monkey m a

That's waaay more parameters than the CD version mentions so I wonder if the CD version is not just completely different - it may just ignore these letters and go by the original sound settings in the INI file it mentions?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870