VOGONS

First post, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a Pentium MMX 200Mhz machine running DOS 6.22. My video card that is installed right now is a S3 Trio64V+ 2MB. I also have an S3 Virge with 4MB of memory. I'm using a Samsung CRT 17in monitor. My issue is that whenever I run these two games on either the Trio64 or the virge, the graphics is very poor and the colors are off. Do I need to install any drivers for these cards in order for the game to look as they should or is it plug and play? Thank you.

Reply 2 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a monitor problem to me. The S3 Trio cards are very compatible. The Virge cards are not so compatible - but since you're getting the issues with both the Trio and the Virge I'd say check your monitor.

Does this happen every time a game switches to VGA 320x200 256 colors?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 11, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

duke3d you can change the resolution to higher svga through the setup may be worth a try as well to see if it happens on different resolution

Reply 4 of 11, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some photos. I've tried another CRT and a LCD with the same results.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3411.jpg
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3410.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3410.jpg
    File size
    1.4 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3406.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3406.jpg
    File size
    987.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3405.jpg
    File size
    848.97 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 11, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly I recently got into these old DOS games I used to play as a kid. I don't recall how they used to look since its been decades since I've played them. I thought maybe I didn't set something up right with the graphics. I don't remember everything being so "pixelated" but then again I was 10. Are "newer ports" something that makes these graphics better? I don't mind the original look as its nostalgic to me but I'm curious if the graphics can be improved in DOS. Thanks.

Reply 7 of 11, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

haha that looks as its supposed to, with duke3d u can go setup and video modes and set 800x600 svga pentium 200mmx should handle it all right that will be a big visual upgrade. Out of luck for doom, perhaps dosbox does some smooth scaling otherwise u need to find open ports and remakes. there was quiet a few of duke3d but u need alot more powerfull hardware then a pentium 1 for those

Reply 9 of 11, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to know everything is normal and my hardware isn't the problem. I was thinking about installing win95 or 3.1. Any issues with installing either of those os with dos games?

Reply 10 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most DOS games will not work under Win3.11 (which is not really an OS, more like a GUI on top of DOS).
Most DOS games will work under Windows 95, and Windows 95 also has a pure DOS mode which is for all practical game-related purposes identical to DOS 6.22.

But if you only want to play DOS games, there is little point in installing either of those.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, those look as they should.

DOS games generally use 320x200 resolution, which is not really all that much, and is better suited (in my opinion) to 2D platformers than it is to 3D first person shooters like DOOM and Duke3D. Yes, you can get "source ports" of DOOM which have the capability for higher resolutions, and Duke3D lets you go up to 800x600 if your CPU and video card can handle it. With your setup, you should be able to do this with reasonable framerates, or at least 640x480.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.