VOGONS


First post, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I recently dug up a Pentium II custom build, which still works as I tested it out for a brief amount of time. I then took it apart to clean it out, and then put it back together. But I'm having one little problem. I can't seem to get it to turn on, and I know why. It's because I can't seem to remember where two Power SW pins go on the motherboard. I already connected the speaker, H.D.D. LED, power LED, reset SW and speaker pins successfully, but not so much for the power SW pins. So, about this motherboard, it's an Intel E139761 model, and it has a Pentium II CPU. I'll show you what I'm talking about with where certain pins go...

1550413005.th.97690.JPG

As you can see on the bottom of the motherboard, it has most pins assigned to specific ones, but not the power SW pins.

Here are these two pins I'm trying to locate,
1550413124.th.76484.JPG

So yeah, I'm having this problem where I can't locate the pins for the power SWs, which are required for this PC to boot, because there are no assigned pins for them on the motherboard. I guess I don't know how to work with older hardware components very well. Any comments would be appreciated.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 2 of 11, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried placing them on the pins marked Sleep & Power On? I can only assume that's why there are 2 plugs marked Power SW.

Edit: Beaten to it. 🤣

Reply 3 of 11, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
gerwin wrote:

The two pins on the far right are marked "PWR ON". Try that?
This manual may apply to your motherboard:
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Intel/S … 2/se440bx-2.pdf

Thanks for the manual. And no, I did not try the PWR ON, because this PC doesn't include that type of pin.

PTherapist wrote:

Have you tried placing them on the pins marked Sleep & Power On? I can only assume that's why there are 2 plugs marked Power SW.

Edit: Beaten to it. 🤣

Yes, I did insert the sleep pin, but the power pins are what I'm having trouble with.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 4 of 11, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming the PDF manual that was linked is the correct one, page 55 shows the front panel connector layout. The 2 pins on the far right is the Power Switch connection (as pointed out already). The manual diagram indicates pin 1 is 'hot' and pin 2 is ground. Check the plug and there should be a small triangle in the black plastic next to one of the plugs - this indicates the 'hot' plug. Align it with pin 1.

Curious that you have two Power connectors though. Are all the connector accounted for? Maybe one of the power connectors is actually for reset or sleep? can you trace the wires back to the front panel to see what they may service?

Hope this helps

Reply 5 of 11, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
tincup wrote:

Assuming the PDF manual that was linked is the correct one, page 55 shows the front panel connector layout. The 2 pins on the far right is the Power Switch connection (as pointed out already). The manual diagram indicates pin 1 is 'hot' and pin 2 is ground. Check the plug and there should be a small triangle in the black plastic next to one of the plugs - this indicates the 'hot' plug. Align it with pin 1.

Hmm, I guess I would have to check that part of the motherboard. I'm assuming the builder of this PC probably didn't know what they were doing. It might be because when it comes to custom-built PCs, sometimes you don't end up having everything matched with an associated component.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I don't think one of the Power SW pins is for the reset pins, because I already have a Reset SW pin, as well as an HDD LED, Power LED and Speaker pins separated from the two Power SW pins. I don't have a Sleep pin nor an Infrared pin, but the pins on the right side of the front panel connectors section are labeled "PWR ON", so I think that's where one of the Power SWs go, and I might just leave one Power pin unused.

Last edited by JonathonWyble on 2019-02-17, 16:08. Edited 1 time in total.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 6 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For indicator LEDs: These do require proper plug orientation. Plus on the side of the colored wire.

For an ATX style power switch: the plug orientation is not of any consequence. You can turn it around and it is still technically the same. To illustrate that point: You can even use a screwdriver to toggle these "PWR ON" pins, by touching and connecting both of the pins with the metal screwdriver tip. ( Just don't accidentally touch the other pins for LED / Speaker / infrared etc. because that can short out things )

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 11, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

For indicator LEDs: These do require proper plug orientation. Plus on the side of the colored wire.

For an ATX style power switch: the plug orientation is not of any consequence. You can turn it around and it is still technically the same. To illustrate that point: You can even use a screwdriver to toggle these "PWR ON" pins, by touching and connecting both of the pins with the metal screwdriver tip. ( Just don't accidentally touch the other pins for LED / Speaker / infrared etc. because that can short out things )

Correct! pin orientation isn't required for the power switch, screwdriver test is good.

Other reasons the rig may not be powering is an improperly seated CPU or the ATX power plug. Also it might not fire up without a fan attached to the CPU fan header (item "L" on the motherboard diagram in the manual).

Reply 8 of 11, by Helmsholdfast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello.

I bought this board recently. I had the same issue initially.

I got it to power on. I used the pins in the bottom right corner. South east. Pictures attached.

Apologies for thread necromancy.

The attachment 20260830_162157.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20260830_162153.jpg is no longer available

Cheers

Reply 9 of 11, by Helmsholdfast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Nope. It requires a dell oem psu I have concluded.

Reply 10 of 11, by Fazeshift

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Helmsholdfast wrote on 2026-08-30, 17:32:

Nope. It requires a dell oem psu I have concluded.

Looks like the Intel AL440LX (Atlanta). How is the ATX connector oriented?

If there are 6 unpopulated spots on the PCB between the ATX connector and the IDE connectors, then yes this is the non-standard Dell PSU variant.

If the ATX connector has 5 unpopulated pads between it and the screw hole by the edge of the board, it should be the standard ATX PSU version.

Reply 11 of 11, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny, assuming it is an Intel SE440BX-2 is identified in the manual @gerwin linked ...

I just got the exact same board! - and have it installed it in a case and working.

I just used the "front panel connector" pinout shown on page 55 of that manual and everything worked!

The only slightly odd thing I've observed. is that even though I have it set in BIOS to "stay off" after power-fail, it always comes on - ATX power button still works fine (ON and OFF) and since I normally turn power off at the supply, I'm happy with this behavior.

I just used a fairly generic Antec ATX supply I had on the shelf and have not had any problems!

I don't recall the exact site, but I found several manuals online, including the "Product Guide" that was already posted as well as "SE440BX-2 Quick Reference", "SE440BX-2 Specification Update" and "SE440BX-2 Technical Product Specification".

IF you want, you can see it here: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com