VOGONS

First post, by GTPZ71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope there are some Sound Blaster X-Fi experts on this forum.

A brief background, I am in the middle of building three retro builds; a pure DOS rig, Win98SE rig and WinXP rig. The Win98SE rig went as smooth as can be. I haven't completely finished the DOS rig yet, but so far so good. However, the WinXP rig is being very difficult when it comes to the sound card.

I initially wanted a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Edition, after many attempts at getting the drivers to install I ended up buying another card only to find the same problem. I thought maybe XP doesn't like PCIe cards, so I bought a X-FI Extremegamer Fatal1ty Pro PCI card. Even that card the drivers are not installing. I should mention none of the cards came with the install disc, I am starting to think maybe that might be the issue. I have tried many official and unofficial drivers for all the cards. Yes, I have even gone onto the Vogon driver site and tried using the drivers from there with no success. I also have reinstalled XP several times now.

My XP (32bit Pro) rig consists of the following:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard
Core 2 Duo E8400
4 GB ram
256GB Samsung 850 Pro
EVGA GTX760

At first Windows detected the sound cards as an unknown device then it eventually saw it as a sound device but with a yellow exclamation point. I eventually got the exclamation point to go away on the Extremegamer card, but the drivers still won't install. When I click on update drivers it will find a driver and start to install it for a split second, but status bar might get 2 bars then the whole window just disappears. I recheck the card status under sound devices it it says there is no driver installed for the device. Using the ISO from Vogons drivers, it says it doesn't detect a compatible product. Granted, I don't know for sure if the ISO from the site is for this card, it just says X-Fi PCI for XP. I am at a loss. Yes, I disabled the onboard audio in DOS and disabled the HDMI audio on the GTX760.

I don't know if there is something with the motherboard or CPU that the drivers might not like? Has anyone successfully installed a X-Fi for XP recently? I tried with service pack 2, SP3 and unofficial SP4.

Is there anyone with a X-Fi Extremegamer or Titanium sound cards that might be able to copy their install disc?

Last edited by GTPZ71 on 2019-02-18, 16:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by GTPZ71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did install the Daniel_K drivers, windows still was not detecting the sound card. I tried those drivers with all three cards. I will reinstall WinXP and try the Daniel_K drivers from the get go and see if that makes a difference.

Reply 3 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you install the chipset drivers for the motherboard?

I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Edition and a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P so I could try on my end. It really should just work as long as you have the chipset drivers installed.

I also have multiple PCI X-Fi cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 9, by GTPZ71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ITS WORKING!!

I guess what was happening was the HD Audio drivers from the GTX760 was causing issues for the sound card. I was installing the video drivers first thing because I can hardly see anything on the screen (very dark) without the drivers installed. So I was just doing a full install.

This time, I installed the Daniel_K drivers first thing after installing WinXP, the sound card was detected and working. I then installed SP3 (really SP4), this caused the sound card to no longer work. I went back into the Daniel_K setup removed all the sound components, restarted then re-installed the Daniel_K drivers, sound works again. I installed the video drivers making sure not to install the HD audio drivers (not easy). Now everything is working as it should. What a PITA! 🤣. Hopefully this helps anyone else who might be having similar issues.

The sound card I have working is the X-FI PCIe Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Edition. I haven't tested the X-Fi PCI Fatal1ty Pro yet.

Last edited by GTPZ71 on 2019-02-18, 17:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by GTPZ71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update. The X-FI PCI is confirmed working also with the Daniel_K drivers and I didn't have to reinstall WinXP. I just uninstalled the existing audio drivers and reinstalled the drivers once the PCI card was installed and everything works.

Reply 6 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great to hear it is working. Now I don't have to test it on my end.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 9, by aureal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2019-02-18, 04:15:

You want the Daniel_K X-Fi Support Pack 4.0.
http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2017/01/sb … rt-pack-40.html

To anyone else looking for this support pack it has been moved to https://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2020/08/s … rt-pack-50.html

I have the same problem getting my 0460 to detect in Wxp. Hope this works for me

Reply 9 of 9, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aureal wrote on 2021-12-12, 07:02:
swaaye wrote on 2019-02-18, 04:15:

You want the Daniel_K X-Fi Support Pack 4.0.
http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2017/01/sb … rt-pack-40.html

To anyone else looking for this support pack it has been moved to https://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2020/08/s … rt-pack-50.html

I have the same problem getting my 0460 to detect in Wxp. Hope this works for me

I recommend the UAA Daniel K drivers for the Xtreme Music. Let's just say it's more stable.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC