Topic actions

Reply 27340 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

[...]

Indeed, the listing I was looking at was for a boxed complete card.

So the card itself is still probably worth 3 to 400 dollars/

Possibly. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

The bigger picture though is that things like these are out there, and at a much lower price, because the vast majority of vintage PC stuff is sitting unknown and uncatalogued in someone's attic, basement or storage box, both the crappy uninteresting things and the truly rare, valuable or otherwise sought after.

So don't sit there being envious, get out and bring hardware out of the shadows and into our light! You won't find unicorns every time but persevere and they will be in there. You are online, you have a truck - that's all you need.

Reply 27341 of 52719, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Found the driver for it: http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/unknown/s … ersion_1.01.zip […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:

This 8 bit ISA mystery soundcard: (sellers pictures)

<snip>

Found the driver for it:
http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/unknown/s … ersion_1.01.zip

From this page:
http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm

Great, thanks!

There is a little info in the zip:

JUNE 2015 […]
Show full quote

JUNE 2015

From alecv of the Vintage Computer Forums:

"This card is SB Pro-like and contains rudimental 'mixer'. By default (after reset) all channels are muted.
Card itself works, but produces silence. This 'driver' just enables 'mixer'.

The SCSI pard is standard TMC-950."

1982 to 2001

Reply 27342 of 52719, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Possibly. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

[...]

The bigger picture though is that things like these are out there, and at a much lower price, because the vast majority of vintage PC stuff is sitting unknown and uncatalogued in someone's attic, basement or storage box, both the crappy uninteresting things and the truly rare, valuable or otherwise sought after.

So don't sit there being envious, get out and bring hardware out of the shadows and into our light! You won't find unicorns every time but persevere and they will be in there. You are online, you have a truck - that's all you need.

Wow that lot is pretty awesome. Was this advertised on the interwebs (i.e. didn’t I do my homework properly)? 😊

Reply 27343 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:

[...]

Wow that lot is pretty awesome. Was this advertised on the interwebs (i.e. didn’t I do my homework properly)? 😊

Yep. Although tbh, it was advertised very obscurely, initially with no pics and with a seller actively trying to convince me it was worthless and not worth my time to come pick it up. The more details he gave to convince me not to, the more convinced I became I did want to - although the only interesting bits I knew about in advance were the Model M and the GA-BX2000 😉

Reply 27344 of 52719, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
dionb wrote:
Possibly. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

[...]

I was wondering the same thing. Although I promised my wife (and myself) to not buy big lots like this any more. And this was too far away for me to pick up.

1982 to 2001

Reply 27345 of 52719, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

[...]

Yep. Although tbh, it was advertised very obscurely, initially with no pics and with a seller actively trying to convince me it was worthless and not worth my time to come pick it up. The more details he gave to convince me not to, the more convinced I became I did want to - although the only interesting bits I knew about in advance were the Model M and the GA-BX2000 😉

The Asus Socket 4 motherboard is an awesome find, a thing I will put on my wanted list from now on. What cpu came the mobo with?

I envy you a bit for finding another awesome lot! 🤣 🤣

Reply 27346 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nvm1 wrote:

[...]

The Asus Socket 4 motherboard is an awesome find, a thing I will put on my wanted list from now on. What cpu came the mobo with?

P60 SX948 - no FDIV bug as far as I can see.

Agree that this is probably the best bit in the find. My first own PC had been a P60, with an MSI motherboard with SiS 501 chipset. I'd been vaguely looking for one for a while, and recently just missed out on an Intel Premiere/PCI. But this is better - i430LX is an extremely underwhelming chipset, in fact the only thing I would have been happier with is the MSI board I used to have (slightly smaller PCB with 6 SIMM slots, otherwise functionally identical, up to the crap CMD640 IDE chip). If this thing works, I'm using it for my multi-sound card build. I had an So7 i430FX board with either P133 or Cyrix PR166+ in it, but in terms of CPU any Pentium-class CPU would be fine, and this board is definitely more interesting.

I envy you a bit for finding another awesome lot! 🤣 🤣

Put that envy on hold until I've tested whether any of this actually works. The older motherboards were a scorched pile of battery juise. The P5SP4 just has a DS1287 RTC which needs replacing. Fortunately I have two potential replacements, but it might still have other issues.

Reply 27347 of 52719, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Put that envy on hold until I've tested whether any of this actually works. The older motherboards were a scorched pile of battery juise. The P5SP4 just has a DS1287 RTC which needs replacing. Fortunately I have two potential replacements, but it might still have other issues.

What is the model number of that Asus socket 4 board? Man, I'd sell a kidney to get one 😁

Reply 27348 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:
dionb wrote:

What is the model number of that Asus socket 4 board? Man, I'd sell a kidney to get one 😁

PCI/I-P5SP4

Reply 27349 of 52719, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to finally find a decent case for my planned 386 build. Well happy with this as AT cases are really hard to come by in good condition.

Attachments

• Case.JPG
    Filename
    Case.JPG
    File size
    95.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27350 of 52719, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

I'll leave you with a pic of the worst corroded motherboard, I'd love to get this working as I don't have any other boards small enough for that tiny case - but I'm not optimistic.

Just look at that green area to the right of the keyboard connector. All the brown colour has been eaten from the PCB 😢

Very nice lot! 😎

Let me know if this board is not running, I think have several 386 boards of this size...

Reply 27351 of 52719, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

Managed to finally find a decent case for my planned 386 build. Well happy with this as AT cases are really hard to come by in good condition.

Good looking case.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27352 of 52719, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:

That is a very pretty case! No yellowing!

1982 to 2001

Reply 27354 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:
dionb wrote:

I'll leave you with a pic of the worst corroded motherboard, I'd love to get this working as I don't have any other boards small enough for that tiny case - but I'm not optimistic.

Just look at that green area to the right of the keyboard connector. All the brown colour has been eaten from the PCB 😢

Very nice lot! 😎

Let me know if this board is not running, I think have several 386 boards of this size...

Thanks for the kind offer but...

...despite looking even worse today - *something* green was even re-crystallizing out of the green PCB bit - it was dry enough so I gave it a go, and it booted perfectly first try. Only things it complains about are the CMOS settings, which is sort of understandable 😉

Reply 27355 of 52719, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's better than a Suntac based 286 motherboard?

Two Suntac based 286 motherboards!

PS: And couple of slightly less interesting items…

WP_20190218_20_37_08_Pro.jpg
Filename
WP_20190218_20_37_08_Pro.jpg
File size
912.34 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190218_16_04_50_Proa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190218_16_04_50_Proa.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
WP_20190218_16_01_12_Proa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190218_16_01_12_Proa.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
WP_20190218_15_54_37_Proa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190218_15_54_37_Proa.jpg
File size
912.69 KiB
Views
File comment
Creative Labs Presents… the elements.
File license
WP_20190218_15_51_27_Proa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190218_15_51_27_Proa.jpg
File size
691.96 KiB
Views
File license

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 27357 of 52719, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not you. I see it as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27358 of 52719, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a slightly mis-labeled M919, which appears to have a pretty nice CPU stuck to it 😁
This looks like 1996 / 1997's serious budget PC build, since it looks like it wasn't upgraded during its lifetime and the chips all say they're from mid 1996. I mostly got it because it actually has the cache board attached, but the CPU was a welcome surprise.
Does this look like a Super Socket 7 board though? Because that's the only manual I got...

PC100-Mainboard.jpg
Filename
PC100-Mainboard.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license

Also got a big fat SC55, which works pretty nicely, some really dodgy looking repair work inside though, I dread to think what happened to it, it sort of looks like one of the voltage regulators shorted - though thankfully it's not battery related, already fixed that thanks to the thread in the sound forum.