VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I just received 2 of those mb, unlucky they are in such bad shape that they don't even turns on (blown caps everywhere), it seems an intel oem mb but it lacks any label to identify it.
Before proceed to recap it I'd like to understand if it has any value as collection.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Km6A5w5

Reply 3 of 10, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Some cheap 845E board. Useless junk.

Second that.
No visible branding and only 2 memory slots are usually a big giveaway.
And this board also adds leaking caps.

Salvage the memory and the CPU (unless its a Celeron =)
The top bit of the socket can also be nice to have if you're planning on straightening pins on some CPU later on.
Personally I usually take all jumpers and the BIOS chip too, but thats just me (tho soldered chip on this MB).

Reply 4 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asrock P4V88+

Nothing spectacular about this board too, in fact it's horrible. Best you can and should get for Socket 478 is Intel 875P motherboard like ASUS P4C800. There's also late S478 + PCI-E options which are probably fun to tinker with for benchmarks, but apart from that are quite useless.

VIA/SIS based boards with universal AGP are certainly useful for old video cards.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2019-03-03, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 10, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote:
Second that. No visible branding and only 2 memory slots are usually a big giveaway. And this board also adds leaking caps. […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Some cheap 845E board. Useless junk.

Second that.
No visible branding and only 2 memory slots are usually a big giveaway.
And this board also adds leaking caps.

Salvage the memory and the CPU (unless its a Celeron =)
The top bit of the socket can also be nice to have if you're planning on straightening pins on some CPU later on.
Personally I usually take all jumpers and the BIOS chip too, but thats just me (tho soldered chip on this MB).

Thanks for the advice.
What about the heatinks, are those good? Or a coolermaster is better?
Cpus are P4 2.4/533/256, so I'd say mediocre
Ram: kth-d530/1g DDR400 CL3, they can come handy
Supposing they still works.

I also have received a ECS MB694A (V1.0), ram are non working, I don't know the cpu, almost any capacitor is bulging, is this going to recycle center too?
According to the information I found it uses a VT82C694X and the VT82C686B (I can see this one, not the nb that has glued heatsink).

The Serpent Rider wrote:

Asrock P4V88+

Nothing spectacular about this board too, in fact it's horrible. Best you can and should get for Socket 478 is Intel 875P motherboard like ASUS P4C800. There's also late S478 + PCI-E options which are probably fun to tinker with for benchmarks, but apart from that are quite useless.

VIA/SIS based boards with universal AGP are certainly useful for old video cards.

Unlucky those intel mb aren't cheap, I agree on that mb, I had also to recap it.

Reply 6 of 10, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote:

The Intel one on that no-name ATX board in the imgur album doesn't look like the type with copper base, so if you already have s478 coolers around, I wouldn't bother.

Nemo1985 wrote:

I also have received a ECS MB694A (V1.0), ram are non working, I don't know the cpu, almost any capacitor is bulging, is this going to recycle center too?
According to the information I found it uses a VT82C694X and the VT82C686B (I can see this one, not the nb that has glued heatsink).

Doesn't look like anything special. Certainly it won't handle Tualatins...

Reply 7 of 10, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:
The Intel one on that no-name ATX board in the imgur album doesn't look like the type with copper base, so if you already have s […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote:

The Intel one on that no-name ATX board in the imgur album doesn't look like the type with copper base, so if you already have s478 coolers around, I wouldn't bother.

Nemo1985 wrote:

Doesn't look like anything special. Certainly it won't handle Tualatins...

No copper base, but the cooler master i'm actually using is noisy like hell (maybe it's cause of the mb).
Indeed it doesn't support Tualatins, dumped...

Thanks everybody for the advices

Reply 9 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
evasive wrote on 2020-05-04, 19:24:

DFI NB78-BL (check the marking on the pink printer port label)
https://www.cnet.com/products/dfi-nb78-bl-mot … ket-478-i845pe/

OOOO nice catch!

That board is a PERFECT board for TESTING.

I love using low-spec boards for testing of unknown cpu/ram/pci cards. Why burn-up something valuable like my asus p4c800e?

Also that board 110% needs a re-cap. So if you have yet to do one, its also a great board to learn on!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.