Rank
Oldbie

Diablo I just released on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo

Reply 1 of 21, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll get it once you get it near free, I absolutely love Diablo II but I can't play this one. It's the one click = one hit combat system, I'd rather not destroy my mouse not to mention my finger. Still glad this in finally at GOG, if/when the rest of old Blizzard games end up there I will get them too.

Once someone inevitably tries this one on Win XP let me know does this install and work without issues, I wish GOG would still test their games on XP.

Reply 4 of 21, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not just ordinary D1:

> For those wanting something a bit more modern, Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game tuned for today’s gaming PCs, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, a host of bug fixes and high-resolution support.

Very cool.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 5 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doaks80 wrote:

Not just ordinary D1:

> For those wanting something a bit more modern, Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game tuned for today’s gaming PCs, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, a host of bug fixes and high-resolution support.

Very cool.

got it but I honestly can't say where these updates are. I get way better results with the "Belzebub" mod rather than the "updated" engine. At least with it you have 60fps v-synced action, with the "updated" version I did not have that.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are they getting away with doing this DRM-free? In a moment of weakness, I bought the Starcraft remaster, but I still haven't even downloaded it. My retro fleet does not have teh internetz, and I really don't feel the need to change that so my games can utter affirmations to Blizzard once a month. Here's hoping they'll come to their senses and release more classic titles on GOG.

Reply 7 of 21, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

Are they getting away with doing this DRM-free? In a moment of weakness, I bought the Starcraft remaster, but I still haven't even downloaded it. My retro fleet does not have teh internetz, and I really don't feel the need to change that so my games can utter affirmations to Blizzard once a month. Here's hoping they'll come to their senses and release more classic titles on GOG.

From Blizzard's site:

Q: Are other classic Blizzard games coming to GOG.COM?
A: Yes! We have announced that we’re partnering with GOG.COM to release Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II. We’ll reveal more information at a later date.

I hope Diablo II, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 also find their way to GOG, but since they are already available at Blizzard's store in one shape or form I'm not holding my breath.

Reply 8 of 21, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least Warcraft 1 & 2 will run properly under DOSBox... this Diablo 1 release is a shambles. They didn't bother to fix the DEP error (so it crashes on startup if you have DEP protection turned on), and the shoddy directdraw wrapper prevents the "upgraded" version from being able to use Battle.net. Pretty sure Blizzard contributed practically nothing (besides permission) and GoG just did some quick googling on how to get the game running under Win10.

Reply 9 of 21, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Crank9000 wrote:

From Blizzard's site:

A: Yes! We have announced that we’re partnering with GOG.COM to release Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II. We’ll reveal more information at a later date.

This is like, absolutely awesome 😄

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 10 of 21, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Crank9000 wrote:

Oh that's awesome. I'd been wanting to play the original Warcraft for awhile now, so this is fantastic news! Hopefully Starcraft eventually arrives as well.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 11 of 21, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can one insert that dumb expansion pack "Diablo: Hellfire" into the GOG install and it works?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 13 of 21, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh good catch... Welp I'm getting a copy too (I never played the Diablo series..)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 14 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got bored of it on level 8 or something... it was nice re-living it as long as it lasted 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 21, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition have landed on GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle

First one uses DOSBox and the sequel is like Diablo earlier, native windows support with an option to choose between original and enhanced.

Reply 16 of 21, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Crank9000 wrote:

Once someone inevitably tries this one on Win XP let me know does this install and work without issues, I wish GOG would still test their games on XP.

Enhanced version works fine on Windows XP but ironically not the bundled classic version that works with battle.net does not work out of the box on Windows XP. I had to delete the game folder ddraw.dll and then it works fine. I guess it falls back on some kind of system ddraw.dll.

The same fix can be applied on the new release of Warcraft II Battle.net classic version on gog. In this case one also has to run KeyChanger.exe and insert a legit key to make it work on battle.net. This is because this release launcher does not work on Windows XP. Launch the game from the game-folder instead.

EDIT: A key can be found in your library with a browser (not Galaxy client)> Warcraft II> More> Serial Keys.

Reply 17 of 21, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dottoss wrote:
Crank9000 wrote:

Enhanced version works fine on Windows XP but ironically not the bundled classic version that works with battle.net did not work out of the box on Windows XP. I had to delete the game folder ddraw.dll and then it works fine. I guess it falls back on some kind of system ddraw.dll.

The same fix can be applied on the new release of Warcraft II Battle.net classic version on gog. In this case one also has to run KeyChanger.exe and insert a legit key to make it work on battle.net. This is because this release launcher does not work on Windows XP. Launch the game from the game-folder instead.

Cotcha, thanks!

Reply 18 of 21, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another broken release, has the same problem with DEP that Diablo did (before they patched it based on some hex-editing advice that someone posted on their forum).
It's crazy that their official "fix" for this problem is just to disable DEP - this is a multiplayer game with very poor data validation, running without ASLR. Basically a prime candidate for the type of exploits that DEP was aimed to prevent.

Reply 19 of 21, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote:

Another broken release, has the same problem with DEP that Diablo did (before they patched it based on some hex-editing advice that someone posted on their forum).
It's crazy that their official "fix" for this problem is just to disable DEP - this is a multiplayer game with very poor data validation, running without ASLR. Basically a prime candidate for the type of exploits that DEP was aimed to prevent.

I can't say how the GOG staff takes DEP into account, but if you really are afraid that somebody actually is going to take the time to make a malware that attacks the online parts of games from 97 and 99, that I assume are being played online by very few people, should you let the game go online at all? At least on a PC that you can't wipe clean if need be?