First post, by MrFlibble
I just discovered a formerly shareware turned freeware Finnish DOS RPG of the first-person party based dungeon crawling variety (also known as "blobber" as far as I know), with the original shareware available here and freeware version here.
The game launches in DOSBox (I'm using v0.74, but not the recent take-two update, for Linux 64-bit) and I can start or load a game, but:
- in both shareware v2.0 and freeware v2.1 starting a new game does not allow to generate a party. The character generation screen is shown briefly after which the game starts with this:
Evidently, this is a party completely devoid of characters. I can walk around the dungeon but as soon as I try to look up character stats I get this:
- luckily the game also ships with six pre-generated parties as saved games, and in shareware v2.0 I could play one party for a bit (walk around, fight monsters, read signs etc.) until I found a dagger on the floor. I clicked it with the mouse and the game apparently stopped responding to any key or mouse input although it did not exactly freeze because I could still move the cursor around.
- in the freeware version I can load a party but the game seems to ignore keyboard input.
What I have tried (to absolutely no effect on the above):
- run the game with and without any sound card configured
- turn off either EMS or XMS emulation
- run with normal core instead of dynamic
- run with max cycles
- run with a fixed amount of 7800 cycles
- run with max limit to 26800 cycles (the game is in real mode)