VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At any given time I only have some of my hardware assembled into a working system which means that most of the time my mobo's and cards are stored away.

I have a policy to wrap/bag every single item in it's own anti-static bag with 2 or more silica packs added (how many depend on the size of the component).

I live in Australia (Sydney to be precise) and our summers can get quite humid (like right now). I was thinking of getting some plastic containers from the office supply store but then thought that maybe having hardware in a sealed environment might not be a good idea since if there is moisture it might actually trap in.

Do you guys have advice on storing your hardware?

Reply 1 of 10, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't use silica packs but I should. Bags where possible but I have some anti-static racks and I hope to get more, to store boards vertically (under cover to reduce dust buildup).

Motherboards horizontal with padding, some are stored with heatsinks and not stacked. Eventually plan to build shelf units for those inside a larger shelf, kind of drawers for each board.

Ideally I'd have proper storage for everything but way too much stuff is just stacked right now. Makes me cringe a little to think about it. Time/energy/money.

It's kind of medium humidity here but temperature controlled.

You could use plastic tubs but ventilate them, even cut vents in both ends and run a fan part of the time (but that could also build up static electricity).

Depending on your budget there are commercial options, an internet search for "PCB storage" will show a lot, generally they are sold in commercial volume but occasionally you find one or two here or there.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 2 of 10, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am ashamed to admit it, but my storage method is to stack them in a small plastic bin. That's it. I use anti-static bags for some of the more valuable cards, but ISA cards generally aren't that sensitive to ESD anyway. Besides, my lab has static-dissipative carpet! As for motherboards, I put them in anti-static motherboard bags. They're a little more fragile.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 3 of 10, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good thing it's autumn here in Sydney 😉

I have most of my boards in plastic tubs, while some are in systems, others just in anti-static bags. Haven't had issues with condensation inside the tubs stored in the garage, which is where it gets hottest and most humid over summer. Older electronics are fairly resilient though, some salvaged parts I've found to be working have been stored pretty poorly indeed.

PS Bunnings tends to have the cheapest and widest range of tubs, though the cheapest ones are quite fragile

Reply 4 of 10, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have mine in a well sealed cardboard box in anti static bags or wrapped in bubble wrap, also a bit ashamed but so far ok, Melbourne here

Reply 5 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't just use anti-static bags to prevent ESD, but also to keep the components from scratching each other. That's why I would recommend each component gets its own bag.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 10, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep everything in my house, climate controlled -- 72F degrees / 35% humidity year around. Every item is stored in an antistatic bag or ESD-safe bubble wrap, then laid flat in cardboard boxes that have a layer of ESD-safe foam. I don't stack components or store them vertical since that can cause warping over time which can break traces and BGA mounting. Storing in a non-climate controlled environment is not good for longevity over years/decades because the wide temperature and humidity swings can definitely break solder joints.

For example I've seen my garage go from -15F to 45F in the winter, and 45F to 90F in the summer in a short few hours time span.. day after day. I need to resolder my garage door opener circuit board nearly every winter because the PCB mounted relays on it crack the solder joints. (note: I'm in Michigan near Lake Erie where we get some extreme weather) Here's a good example of the type temperature swings I see.. https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michig … ars/1079114001/

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboards and graphics cards on shelfs for display if they are in original box, otherwise motherboards in plastic storage containers and cards in a way that they don't take up too much space and can be grabbed pretty easily when I want to bench something:

shelves.jpg
Filename
shelves.jpg
File size
94.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

They are sitting on wooden blocks that I gave a sawcut every 2,5cm, around 1cm deep. works great and everytime I grab something it still works (only been this way around 2 years now).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 10, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every piece is cleaned of dust and corrosion (if has any), then stashed into ESD bag and wrapped lightly into bubble wrap and then stashed into cardboard box

This makes sure to prevent scratches, and ESD. Also looks neat and organized 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 9 of 10, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bunnings sell(sold?) these big plastic boxes for something like $7. I got like about 10 of them. Can store about 10 motherboards in a row or dozens of cards. Anti static bags. Live in a dry ass climate so dont bother with silica.

Also, craft shops sell really nice little plastic boxes with internal compartments just the right size for cpus. Bit of anti static foam and its perfect.

Attachments

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 10 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DSC_2345.JPG
Filename
DSC_2345.JPG
File size
223.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is 70% of all my loose parts, spares, and shit. I have another half of this same closet, full of the remaining 30%.

Cards are all in antistatic bags, then stored in cardboard boxes remained from my older puchases of new parts, or IKEA storage boxes of the same kind. HDDs (cannot be seen in the picture, the closet is 60cm deep) goes into cheap, purpose built and readily available plastic HDD protection boxes. RAMs and CPUs are less protected, just stting in proper boxes neatly stacked together.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000