VOGONS

Replacing SB AWE32 RAM Sockets

Topic actions

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Came across a free SB AWE32 card but the RAM sockets clips are broken off....can i replace them? Would any 30pin SIMM socket work or is there something proprietary about these ones?

Reply 1 of 22, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK, they seem standard . However, there is a workaround to those broken clips : tie wraps around the card ! It is ugly but it worked well enough for me when I was using a card with broken sockets .

Reply 2 of 22, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is something I've been meaning to do with my AWE32. I had a bookmark to a place that sold a compatible dual 30 pin simm socket (at least it looked like it would fit.) I can't find the link anymore, but I remember they sold parts for Amigas.

I've also thought about soldering two 16MB SIMMs and forgetting about it.

Reply 4 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I replaced my broken plastic clip slots with metal clip ones, no issues:

Creative-Sound-Blaster-AWE32-CT3980.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone recently posted this link. I'm going to order some and see how it goes.

https://www.peconnectors.com/sockets-pga-cpu- … -memory/hws9229

There's a minimum order of $20, so I had to buy 15 pairs... and then pay $30 (!) for ground shipping... so I really hope these work. If they do, I'll have a few extra if anyone's interested.

Reply 9 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RAM sockets came in this week, and I sat down to practice on my childhood AWE32. Here's how it turned out:

awe32-board.jpg
Filename
awe32-board.jpg
File size
212.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Not too bad, but you definitely need a good iron and a reliable way to remove solder from plated through-holes. And, in the end:

awe32-screen.jpg
Filename
awe32-screen.jpg
File size
231.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Woohoo! Works like a champ! 😎

But now I have like a dozen more of these than I need. Anyone want one?

Reply 10 of 22, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:
RAM sockets came in this week, and I sat down to practice on my childhood AWE32. Here's how it turned out: […]
Show full quote

RAM sockets came in this week, and I sat down to practice on my childhood AWE32. Here's how it turned out:

awe32-board.jpg

Not too bad, but you definitely need a good iron and a reliable way to remove solder from plated through-holes. And, in the end:

Nicely done! Was the socket a perfect fit, or did you have to modify it? I'd buy one from you, but I'm assuming you're not in the continental US.

Reply 11 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I already have an extra, in case I come across another AWE32 some day, but I appreciate you trying to help the community 😀

Reply 12 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perfect fit. I was pleasantly surprised that it was an exact drop-in, just with metal tabs.

Not continental, but still US. I think a CD in a First Class mailer is usually a hair under $3, so let's say.. what... $5 for a set? (It's one physical block with two RAM slots, just like on the AWE.) PM me if you want one.

Reply 13 of 22, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Yeah I replaced my broken plastic clip slots with metal clip ones, no issues: […]
Show full quote

Where did you find the replacements? Salvaged or available as new, locally?

I recently and stupidly broke one of the sockets of my only SB32, so I'm in need of a replacement, too.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 14 of 22, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:
RAM sockets came in this week, and I sat down to practice on my childhood AWE32. Here's how it turned out: […]
Show full quote

awe32-board.jpg

awe32-screen.jpg

I'll appreciate one, can you please tell em what should I pay for shipment to Turkey?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 15 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
Yeah I replaced my broken plastic clip slots with metal clip ones, no issues: […]
Show full quote

Where did you find the replacements? Salvaged or available as new, locally?

I recently and stupidly broke one of the sockets of my only SB32, so I'm in need of a replacement, too.

I bought them on eBay. Dropping you a PM now.

Reply 16 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I would imagine these are frequently available on Ebay, cheap, from China, with probably better shipping rates than I can get from the US. If you don't find what you need, or just want something tried and tested, PM me with your address and I'll figure out what it would cost to send you one.

Let me be clear -- I have a ton of extras and would rather see them go to good use, but I have zero aspirations to turn this into any sort of venture. If you can get a better deal elsewhere, please do.

Reply 17 of 22, by TheFifthRace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

Yeah, I would imagine these are frequently available on Ebay, cheap, from China, with probably better shipping rates than I can get from the US. If you don't find what you need, or just want something tried and tested, PM me with your address and I'll figure out what it would cost to send you one.

Let me be clear -- I have a ton of extras and would rather see them go to good use, but I have zero aspirations to turn this into any sort of venture. If you can get a better deal elsewhere, please do.

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but for some reason I can't send PMs to anyone. Says I just recently registered.

Anyway, do you still have extra of those 30-pin sockets for the AWE32? I need to replace mine as well. 😀 When replacing, did you use lots of flux to get all of the solder out?

Reply 18 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I no longer have the extra I am afraid but search on eBay.

Getting the old sockets out was a bitch. Add flux, some fresh solder and use a strong iron..

Reply 19 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tons of extras. I needed one set and had to buy.. what was it, 20? At this point I don't even care about recouping my losses, so if you can't PM yet (you haven't reached your new-user post quota), then email at this name on a popular googley mail provider. As long as it doesn't cost an absurd amount to toss a bubble mailer your way, I'm happy to cover the costs to get some shelf space back.