VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I stumbled over a thread (Silpheed PS/1 version files (from Queststudios)) which mentions alternative sound drivers for Silpheed. Stock game comes with PC speaker effects. I tried using those drivers, but all I get is OPL music. I took from that thread that somehow MT32 music and digital SoundBlaster effects would be possible? Or am I mistaken?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It does exist as I'm running it myself through Dosbox. I believe it is more than just some new driver files because all of the sounds are digital including speech. But yes this does exist... I don't recall where I 'aquired' my already patched up version from.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 5 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:

Anyone know how to get MCGA working with the IBM PS/1 version?

Yes,

Open up the resource.cfg file and change the first line that says EGA to MGA instead. Save it and you should be running MCGA mode at that point.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 6 of 10, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrossBow777 wrote:
krcroft wrote:

Anyone know how to get MCGA working with the IBM PS/1 version?

Open up the resource.cfg file and change the first line that says EGA to MGA instead. Save it and you should be running MCGA mode at that point.

I'm using Silpheed 3.2 with NewRising Sun's MT32 Music + Sound Blaster FX modifications, and that set of files is EGA only. It reports: Bad load of file "DATA.*".

Have you gotten MCGA working with 3.2? EGA is still great looking and how I originally played it, but it would be nice to have all the bells and whistles!

Reply 7 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MCGA is actually worse. The MCGA support is in there for the PS1 systems which had MCGA, and which in turn does not support the 640x200 16 color EGA mode, but only the 2 color 640x200 CGA mode. 320x200 16 color modes were emulated by MCGA games using mode 13, which is 320x200 with 256 colors.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And I was wrong anyway. I tried to change the resource.cfg file myself on my copy and it just errors out. The files needed for MCGA aren't present in this version. I did try and manually copy them over from a standard Silpheed release but no dice. However, one VERY interesting aspect of this is that there is a newer Adlib.driver and this driver actually appears in the installer as Sound Blaster/Pro/16 Stereo FM. Or at least I just noticed that for the first time and it does work in OPL3 mode. So then what did I do next? yeap...I moved that driver to several other Sierra games. These are the games that the newer adlib driver works with and works well:

KQ1 SCI
Hero's Quest
SQ3
Colonel's Bequest
Conquests of Camelot
Codename: ICEMAN
PQ2

Games it didn't work on:
Quest for Glory 2
KQ4
KQ5 VGA - Intro is silent and skips scenes but in game music there after works
KQ5 EGA - Locks up

g883j7-2.png

Reply 9 of 10, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for necroposting, but I have an interesting issue.
On my IBM PS/1 386 Silpheed with PS/1 audio "three voice" card works perfectly and smoothly. When I use the SB16 VIBRA CT4170 I've installed on the ISA slot raiser (PnP with CTCM: A220/330 I5 D1,1) and configure Silpheed with the patched drivers I have this issue:
FM synth works perfectly, Digitized sound works great, but not at the same time! As soon as I start to shoot the audio became choppy and the music fades out, if I stop pressing fire for 2 seconds the music starts again. If I disable the music with F1 no issue, same if I disable the SFX with F2. The problem rises only when both are active EDIT: the samples are fine for 2 second of continuous shooting and then became choppy and completely silent after 2 secs.
The problem still occur even if I remove the PS/1 audio card and leave only the SB on the system.
Could be a bug of the VIBRA's DSP (v4.16)? the 386 is the bottleneck? MAybe IRQ/DMA wrongly set?
I've tried Thexder with SB music and sampled effects and no issue.

Cheers
Stefano

Last edited by theruler on 2023-05-01, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Little update:
I've tried a fresh install of FREEDOS 1.3, same issue. It must be the AUDBLAST.DRV that have a short buffer or is the little PS/1 386 that can't catch up.
Any guesses?