VOGONS

Hunting elusive EISA Video cards

Topic actions

First post, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Curious as to whether anyone out there has seen any EISA video cards floating around anywhere. I've been restoring and souping up and old Compaq Deskpro 486/66m. It has the Qvision 1024/E 126654-001 in it and it works but it has fuzzy video when the drivers are installed. I've seen a few of the same card around but I'm curious as to whether anyone has seen a 1280/E or heck any 2mb EISA video card anywhere. I've been hunting for nearly a year and can only find listings on fake parts-shark type sites when you contact them it's always "oh we don't actually have that, I guess we didn't update the site, Sorry" I actually came across a real live EISA 2mb mach32 on EBANE a couple weeks ago, a ninja with better skills than I snagged the joker for 100 bucks. I would have paid more for that thing but I wasn't as quick as the other guy. Are there any other places online that are good to hunt for this kind of stuff other than failbay?

Reply 1 of 35, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well just yesterday added 1280/E on site, but i guess that since its in friends collection, it wont leave it anytime soon ...... I hope that i identified that card right, because any info about these cards is almost impossible to find....
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/component/k2/ … a-sc02sh007dk04

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 2 of 35, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are a couple different 126656-001

AT&T RAMDAC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-EISA-VGA-Board/143179464774

BT RAMDAC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-EISA-VGA-Board/323516221590
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-EISA-VGA-Board/323516248461

I checked a few of my other sources, but didn't find anything.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 35, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did come across this rather expensive (beyond my budget) Truevision board that has the EISA bus adaptor, though it does not seem to have a VGA core / DB9 connection so it could just be a framegrabber: -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300159848195

Failing this, and what other posters have contributed... there is maybe a shout worth over on Amibay.com

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 35, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies ya'll. Yeah I probably will end up grabbing another 126654-001 in case mine croaks since there are some still available. I found another shark type site that claims to have a 148867-001 which is the same card but with a "v32 controller" (whatever that means) and it has extra pins for a 139168-001 1MB vram upgrade (lol as if I'd ever come across one of those). I'm going to give then a call today even though they want too much for it.

Thanks for the info on the 1280/E vlask. That is a cool site. That's exactly the card I'm hoping to find someday. I found found some parts info sheets on the M series and have been hunting one of those ever since. I'll keep hunting 😀

I have been looking at that truevision for the last few weeks but I can't find much info on the board and I was also afraid it was just a frame grabber. Pretty expensive.

I could kick myself around the block for not bidding higher on that mach32, I work graveyard at a hotel and we had a wedding party that was a little drunker than usual that night haha

Thanks for telling me about amibay 386_junkie, those are the sorts of places I need to lurk on.

Man if I had known how expensive this old stuff would be these days I would have kept a lot of stuff from the past. In high school I got 7 PS/2s out of the rain on the ground in front of a dumpster (they were actually stuck in GA red clay mud and had gotten rained on, even had mud inside on the boards) and 5 of them came back to life a model 90, 2 model 30s, a 55, and a 50. Seeing the prices on those things now makes me crazy. I fixed them up and gave them away to anyone I could find that pretended to be interested in computers so I reckon I don't really regret that. Had a PS/1 (the little one with all the software in rom) the floppy died and I burned up the controller because my dumb ass tried to plug a non-ibm drive up to it. Hell I used to have an amiga 1200 that I got from goodwill about 14-15 years ago then it started giving me a Kickstart error and asking for a disk. I just took the thing apart and threw it away. Wish I could have known back then that all I needed to do was reseat the roms and I would have been good to go. I can't believe how crazy expensive Amiga kit is these days.

Hopefully I'll get this old compaq straightened out and souped up so I can show if off. It's a 33m but I managed to find a 66m cpu board and swapped I out. I have 64mb of ram and a PODP5V83 on the way for it. I actually got lucky and found that stuff for a reasonable price. I got the connectors and parts to solder up a home made audio breakout cable since those seem to be impossible to find but I'm going to have to find a small tipped soldering iron for this scary tiny 8 pin mini din connector. I don't know how I'm going to get that tiny stuff soldered without pulling all my hair out 🤣.

Thanks guys. It's cool to be posting here rather than just lurking.

Reply 5 of 35, by sonicx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
slaynmage wrote:

Curious as to whether anyone out there has seen any EISA video cards floating around anywhere. I've been restoring and souping up and old Compaq Deskpro 486/66m. It has the Qvision 1024/E 126654-001 in it and it works but it has fuzzy video when the drivers are installed. I've seen a few of the same card around but I'm curious as to whether anyone has seen a 1280/E or heck any 2mb EISA video card anywhere. I've been hunting for nearly a year and can only find listings on fake parts-shark type sites when you contact them it's always "oh we don't actually have that, I guess we didn't update the site, Sorry" I actually came across a real live EISA 2mb mach32 on EBANE a couple weeks ago, a ninja with better skills than I snagged the joker for 100 bucks. I would have paid more for that thing but I wasn't as quick as the other guy. Are there any other places online that are good to hunt for this kind of stuff other than failbay?

Hi, "slaynmage". I think I know the place where the card you are looking for is for sale. The price is about $50. The seller is trustworthy, I've already bought something from her several times. email: cybertycz@poczta.onet.pl

https://allegro.pl/oferta/eisa-vga-compaq-100 … -zwx-7817506896

Reply 6 of 35, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wonderful! Thank you for the tip sonicx!

I've got to try to figure out if I can buy that. I tried translating the site with limited success. i wonder if they ship over here. I wonder if it's safe to try to buy it now on the website or email her about it first. I reckon I'm going to send her an email and see if she ships overseas.

Reply 8 of 35, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
slaynmage wrote:

Dang I missed another one. I emailed her but she doesn't ship to the USA. She said that she could ship it only within the EU due to custom regulations. Wish I could figure this out.

Maybe someone on these forums could be the go-between.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 35, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like a neat idea. I've never done that before. I'm so new here I haven't really made any friends yet much less someone in the EU that would want to do that.

All you guys have been great help. This really is a great community. I've been into computers as a hobby all my life but never had any friends or family that shared that interest. I'm no programmer but I'm decent with hardware and os admin. I'll be glad when I can return the favor by helping other folks here like you've helped me.

Reply 11 of 35, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump my own old thread. 386_junkie you sent me a message about a possible tip on finding some vid cards. I wanted to thank you first of all and also I tried to reply to your PM but the site says that my account is too new to have earned PM priveleges. I just wanted to let you know I got your message and I'd love to take a look at what you're talking about.

Last edited by slaynmage on 2019-04-24, 04:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 35, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never was able to get that card from that polish lady my redneck bank wouldn't allow a payment to a foreign country... but I have since managed to adjust the noise out of my video signal. So currently the Qvision 1024/E 126654-001 I have in the machine is working well I've got it displaying 800x600 with 32k colors and it looks pretty good.. I got this Deskpro M souped up pretty good with 64mb of 70ns fpm ram and I lucked up and came across a PODP5V83 for much less than the scary prices they've been going for lately and since I have it plugged into the processor card that has 256k cache and allows WB mode it's running pretty quick. Now I'm just daydreaming about finding any EISA video card that has 2mb so I can run 1024x768 at 32k colors. Eventually I'm going to get an eprom burner so I can get xtide bios setup for using modern disks and CF cards. Then I'll be able to set up a disk with a souped up dos 7.1/Win 3.11 on one disk and my ultimate goal is to tinker together an install of linux running wmaker since I got a machine with 64mb of ram. I'm a glutton for punishment but I love these old machines. 386/486 machines are what I grew up on and it's so much more fun souping these things up than building a new computer.

Reply 14 of 35, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was looking for an old EISA thread and yours came up again.

If it is of interest, I started these threads a while ago: -

EISA Graphics / Video Cards
EISA Graphics / Video Cards

EISA Graphics card benchmark results
EISA Graphics card benchmark results

One was to raise awareness of the various EISA graphics cards out there, and the other was to show some benchmarking that I did way back on the Systempro.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 35, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I lucked up! I spent a bit too much but I nabbed a fine 2mb EISA ATI Mach32 video card. Many thanks to you 386_junkie for your tips and your guidance. Thank you cyclone3d and vlask for your advice and help. I'm having a drink to celebrate having spent too much money! Ha ha! Cheers!

Reply 17 of 35, by slaynmage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm glad to have joined this community. I have just a few small parts to hunt down for my Deskpro M project and it will be complete. I'll be sure to make a "retro battle stations" thread with details when it's done. Thank ya'll for the help.

Reply 19 of 35, by Kingpin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately the original poster will unlikely be able to get it to work on their computer and will start a return case - even when it works perfectly fine.

The seller will have to swallow a rather large customs fee because the buyer returns it with a value attached for what they bought it for. Not to mention all the time wasted throughout the entire process.