VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28080 of 52680, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Of course there is also this scan I just found. No markings on the component: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … CT2290_Scan.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=ct2290&tbm=isch

I was told by a friend that it is an L-filter, and can be replaced with a similar size and color from a broken board.

Cyrix200+ wrote:

"I made the cut very fast so the card did not suffer MUCH."

At least.

Reply 28081 of 52680, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I had told myself to slowdown with buying stuff. But I'm such a sucker for dual cpu rigs.
This ugly machine was advertised as an Dual PIII 500E with some matrox card for ~95bucks.

IMG_2600s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2600s.jpg
File size
1000.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Met up with the guy and got the machine and some other stuff with it, came home and hooked it up. Nope on the 500Es.

IMG_2596s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2596s.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

Msi 694D Master with built in U160 SCSI. Dual Coppermine 1000 (with aluminium fans 😎 ), Radeon 9550 256mb, Soundblaster Live 5.1 digital, 2 nics, adaptec SCSI card and (removed from before booting, almost shorting against the radeon) an Hauppauge WinTV card.
Booted up to win2000pro with a bunch of games installed. A nice bonus was the Halo CD in the drive 😀

IMG_2597s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2597s.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license

The other stuff I got with it:
Matrox G450 16Mb, G450 32Mb, G550 32Mb

IMG_2598s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2598s.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license

Some IDE hdds, can always use those

IMG_2602s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2602s.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license

Also got the box for the motherboard with manual, stickers and the bundled SCSI cables. And a bunch of PCI nics (no picture needed I guess) one o which was a 3com gigabit PCI-x card 😀
Also got delivery today of two Aopen HX45 chassis I bought for 15bucks. (ATX cases with mounting holes for AT)

Reply 28082 of 52680, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy shit talk about a haul! I knew Quantum made SCSI Fireballs but I've never seen them in the wild!

(man I like that lil' conner in the corner 😜)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 28083 of 52680, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stalk3r wrote:

Hi, I acquired these sound cards recently, could someone help me identify the ESS 1868, it seems to have an internal wavetable:

The CT2290 is in a pretty bad shape, it is covered with mud, but the good thing is that it still works and costed 3 EUR. One component is reportedly missing from the lower right part of the board, maybe someone in possession of this card could help me find out what the missing component is?Thanks!

Very nice finds 😀 ISA soundcards with wavetable seem to be far less common to spot these days.

I've got a CT2290 SB16 card - I just checked with the multimeter and the L5 that's missing on your board appears to be just a link - maybe it's a fusible link? So it gives 0 resistance and doesn't appear to have any capacitance. You should be able to safely just bridge it with wire. For reference, that part looks the same as L7 and L8 slightly above it.

Reply 28084 of 52680, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stalk3r wrote:
Hi, I acquired these sound cards recently, could someone help me identify the ESS 1868, it seems to have an internal wavetable: […]
Show full quote

Hi, I acquired these sound cards recently, could someone help me identify the ESS 1868, it seems to have an internal wavetable:
Lvl3uho.jpg

It is a card that was made by Labway, as evidenced by the LWHA prefix in the FCC ID of LWHA111800.

Regular old ESS 1868 drivers will work fine for it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28085 of 52680, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Xircom RealPort CardBus Modem and Ethernet 10/100 card (never been opened) today.

PICT0223.JPG
Filename
PICT0223.JPG
File size
462.3 KiB
Views
File comment
Xircom Modem and FastEthernet CardBus
File license

Picture taken with my AIPTEK ISDV2.4 with 512MB flash memory integrated.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 28086 of 52680, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
frudi wrote:

The problems with them are all different, but they all come down to not booting up.

Looks like I got lucky with my junk bin board. Honestly, I think that my local PC recycling shop just puts Socket A, 939, and AM2 in the "as-is, untested, for parts" (junk) bin because nobody wants them. I bought 4 working boards out of that bin.

Reply 28087 of 52680, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only thing I bought recently is an SB AWE64 for my Pentium MMX (sort of) dream build. Basically the last piece I needed.
jixcgxbl.jpg

However a coworker dumped on me some of his cards. Mostly they are not particularly rare or interesting cards. An ATi Rage, S3 Trio3D, S3 ViRGE, Matrox G450.
BUT there was a Creative Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600, this one as I see goes for some insane prices on eBay.
xDJs28Sm.jpg Cq1CljBm.jpg

I also picked up an early XP era case (more of that in What retro activiti did you get up to today), which had an Abit SA7 motherboard with a 1.6GHz Northwood Pentium.
I haven't decided yet what to do with this. If they work I'll probably just sell them after a little bit of testing.
mfLNSjem.jpg GSRb2d4m.jpg

I also picked up an older SCSI CD drive, a PCI network card and a SCSI controller card.
RUMJRKhm.jpg vuaDGYom.jpg MxsVYi1m.jpg

But other than the AWE64 it was all free.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 28088 of 52680, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That ABIT SA7 is actually a rebranded ECS L4S5A/DX. Some of ABIT's boards were rebranded ECS from when ABIT had some financial trouble during 2005.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 28089 of 52680, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it is able to turn on, but none of my pre-installed windows (windowses?) were able to boot up.
Generally the Win 2000 do and I can run at least some tests, but I was unlucky with this one. I'll return to it later.

3srcMETm.jpg vc9PMoNm.jpg

PcBytes wrote:

That ABIT SA7 is actually a rebranded ECS L4S5A/DX. Some of ABIT's boards were rebranded ECS from when ABIT had some financial trouble during 2005.

Thank you. It's good to know.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 28090 of 52680, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I went to the garage, where I keep my retro car (IROC-Z). There was a guy there cleaning his garage and I've seen this PC under a ton of garbage. I asked if he want to get rid of it, but he wasn't convinced "I wanted to build a modern PC using this case" so I said I will pay him, and he asked how much. I said let's see what's inside and he opened the case. So I offered ~100USD - that immediately made him think sober again and he said OK, and even lowered the price a bit. Computer won't start (which was expected), PSU is shot for sure (some sort electrical crackling noise when powered on). HDD won't start either (again it was expected). I'm yet to test this multi-io (which is pretty interesting) and MFM controller, and XT-clone motherboard... Anyway, I think it's rather good find.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28092 of 52680, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

No idea why would you offer 100USD upfront when you don't even know the condition!?

Everything seemed intact. There was no way to test the condition and I would pay this much even if it wouldn't start anyway.

Was it good deal? No.

Was it too much? Probably.

Would he sell for less? Perhaps.

Do I have fun? Absolutely!

Will I sell the parts for similar amount of money? Very likely (judging from previous experience).

So whatever. People spend more on cigarettes and booze.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28093 of 52680, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

Today I went to the garage, where I keep my retro car (IROC-Z). There was a guy there cleaning his garage and I've seen this PC under a ton of garbage. I asked if he want to get rid of it, but he wasn't convinced "I wanted to build a modern PC using this case" so I said I will pay him, and he asked how much. I said let's see what's inside and he opened the case. So I offered ~100USD - that immediately made him think sober again and he said OK, and even lowered the price a bit. Computer won't start (which was expected), PSU is shot for sure (some sort electrical crackling noise when powered on). HDD won't start either (again it was expected). I'm yet to test this multi-io (which is pretty interesting) and MFM controller, and XT-clone motherboard... Anyway, I think it's rather good find.

286.jpg
Filename
286.jpg
File size
548.42 KiB
Views
File license

I posted awhile back, but I got lucky and found almost an identical machine at a storage unit in Florida from a Craigslist listing. After a bit of cleaning I turned it on and everything worked. Not even a bad sector on the MFM drive. Got lucky. Either way, these old AT cases are wonderful.

286-12_clean.jpg
Filename
286-12_clean.jpg
File size
985.82 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 28094 of 52680, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find!
I probably can repair PSU (replacing caps and transistors maybe). Has hinged upper cover which is pretty cool (I always liked cases that could be opened like that), the trim around buttons/leds is missing though, but I think I can figure something out...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28095 of 52680, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ lucky you that PSU was not stripped out of the case after all these years, I got mine for free, but w/o PSU @bottom. Probabaly I'll have to CNC case for it out of aluminium as no PSU would fit that IBM AT clone-case.

Reply 28096 of 52680, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

congrats @HanJammer and @liqmat! These cases have become hard to come by...

Bought some stuff for my 486 too:

s-l1600.jpg

ISA 16650 serial card, which can use high interrupts (to get smooth mouse movement)

s-l1600.jpg

1-chip HGC
This variant has much headroom for overclocking to VGA-compatible frequencies.
Just need to make some VGA adapter, unless I happen to find an Eizo 4051 (highly improbable to find that mid-1980s 24kHz B/W monitor nowadays though).

Reply 28098 of 52680, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*Sorry picture quality - potato smartphone, ruined my digicam last week....

Got this beauty:

3ZoEzCp.jpg?1

Now I have a 40, 80, and 120 Mb version of this drive. All era correct, waiting for a home.

They all sound the same upon startup. No bad sectors.

Next, a sacrificial lamb for my AWE32 rebuild. I need the joystick port and the I/O shield. I will be relentlessly heat-gunning that joystick port off whatever insignificant PCI card that provides it.

yLE3QV6.jpg

Lastly, I got an NEC Multisync A700+

hS0Y6D2.jpg

Dear Lord, how I am reminded of the Samsung 3Ne that I sold with the predecessor of this DX2/66 computer. So sharp. Love it. Best $20 spent this week.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 28099 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All for $20 today thanks to Craig'slist:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mwvaqbr

Saw the NEC and I fell in love. A pretty unique case. I tested it a bit ago and it works but the seller removed the hard drives to everything and he didn't leave the rails to anything. 😜 I should have a replacement and can get it going. It does post and has already been upgraded to 96mb of ram and a 200mhz socket 7.

The HP is some amd 3200x2 and I scraped it.

The Dell is a 4th gen I3 and has 8gb of ram. I'm keeping it around for a bit. Its kinda new (even has usb 3) so its the newest computer that I've gotten so cheap.

I'm thinking of dropping some nice hardware into the NEC and reselling it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.