Topic actions

Reply 28120 of 52735, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

does it have anything special?
looking good otherwise!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28121 of 52735, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

does it have anything special?
looking good otherwise!

Nothing notable other than a platinum plated heatsink & plaque, and being a limited run. I think the board designers names may also be platinum plated? I'm not sure on that one. I vaguely remember something about it. The board designer's names on the board is also quite cool and unique.

2,500 released of the Millennium Edition (Worldwide), 3,000 of the Black Limited (Japan Only). Both surprisingly and unsurprisingly, there's a lot less pictures of the Japan release out there. There's likely very few left of either board that weren't trashed long ago, so I am glad to (soon) have one in my possession.

Reply 28122 of 52735, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is some of my pickups.
I recently got into this hobby and have acquired some nice cards in boxes. Most of them are complete, but some are missing stuff. Like the V8200 is missing the manual.

IMG-4747.jpg

IMG-4751.jpg

IMG-4647.jpg

IMG-4618.jpg

Next goals would be Geforce 256 in box and Geforce 2 in box from ASUS. I have them loose but I really appreciate looking at the boxes.
Have a nice day

(repost, posted in the wrong tread earlier)

Reply 28123 of 52735, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

Stored them in about three travel bags and a big box.

This resulted me in throwing away quite a few cards thoroughly rusted after being in basement for years. Watch out 😀

luckybob wrote:

It looks like they took known standard parts, put their own spin on them and reused what they could.

Other than that, its basically an upside down case.

Looks great! No sign of low quality stuff.
But a real nightmare should there occur a hardware problem...

DSCN9690.jpg

yawetaG wrote:

That's a bay-mounted speaker system, based on the shape and the Molex connectors (that usually go inside a computer...)

Now I know what this strange thing is actually called.
I got it in 2000 when I bought a refurbed PC with this thing built in as a test system.
These are now in my IBM 5170 playstation, just for making it look a bit more retarded 😁

The sound quality is... umm... well I like it just for the optical bad taste factor and debugging in case of SPDIF problems 😀

Reply 28124 of 52735, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice one, retardware!

I'm getting this mostly for testing purposes, which is why I didn't want to spend more than a couple of bucks on it.

I admit that it looks a bit... special 😀

Reply 28125 of 52735, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:
I have something very special on the way... :) (Seller pic) https://i.imgur.com/wSgL8TQl.jpg […]
Show full quote

I have something very special on the way... 😀 (Seller pic)
wSgL8TQl.jpg

Noice! So collectable... So envious.... I remember drooling over that board because it had more overclocking options than my AX6B. But I stuck to my AX6B because it had ISA slots and four DIMM slot GIGA POWER PRO-GEAR SPEC. 😁

Reply 28127 of 52735, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got it, it may not be much but it means a lot to me as o always wanted to add a pci geforce 2 to my first computer which was an AMD K6-2 450Mhz which didn't have a AGP slot.

IMG_20190409_135254_zpsvfv8dq79.jpg
For 25€ it was ok since pci Geforces 2 seem to go for a lot more.

untitled2_zps1oryadmc.png

untitled_zpsgaclrnd6.png

The most interesting thing is that when this was delivered to me the first time a month ago i wasn't at home, it was sent back to the seller and not only did he refund me, he sent the card again and told me to pay it only if i ever got it back in my mailbox again. Pretty kind!

Now this along with a Voodoo2 12MB, it's going to be my 1999\2000 dream computer for quake3 and Unreal1\Unreal Tournament.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 28128 of 52735, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

Stored them in about three travel bags and a big box.

This resulted me in throwing away quite a few cards thoroughly rusted after being in basement for years. Watch out 😀

Use a dehumidifier if your HVAC doesn't work properly for the basement. Also, keep them off the floor several feet in case of a water leak or basement flood.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 28129 of 52735, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Todays haul…
All but the first Octek Fox M works fine (even HDDs). But this motherboard is not beyond repair - boots but reports CMOS error...

Attachments

• WP_20190409_18_34_20_Rich.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20190409_18_34_20_Rich.jpg
    File size
    641.15 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Interesting Puma 200 motherboard with CPU mounted on a dedicated module + interesting graphic card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • WP_20190409_18_36_39_Rich.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20190409_18_36_39_Rich.jpg
    File size
    1003.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Octek Fox M, WDC Winchester controller and 16-bit OAK VGA
    File license
  • WP_20190409_18_42_57_Rich.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20190409_18_42_57_Rich.jpg
    File size
    961.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Octek Fox M and 8-bit OAK VGA
    File license
  • WP_20190409_18_43_28_Rich.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20190409_18_43_28_Rich.jpg
    File size
    589.1 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Chips & Technologies EGA clone! Scored for ~10 USD
    File license
  • WP_20190409_18_44_11_Rich.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20190409_18_44_11_Rich.jpg
    File size
    691.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Some HDDs - beloved ST-157A (my fourth), IDE Kalok, MFM Kalok and IDE Conner
    File license
Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-04-09, 22:26. Edited 1 time in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28130 of 52735, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a quick look over the 120 PSUs I bought and did some work to a few of them:

Premier LC-8500BTX (1) - just needed to be cleaned of dust, works fine. Looks like a solid 250W unit, although it has 13009 equivalent transistors and 6 pin PCI-E

Frontier LC-8460BTX & G-Alantic ATX-450P2SC - former was the most gutless Deer I had on my hands, and it had no redeeming qualities - saved the casing, threw the fan and PCB away, and swapped the G-Alantic (Channel Well/CWT ISO is the OEM) PCB and fan (Yate Loon) inside the Frontier casing.

Casecom ATX450 - this one just had bad caps in the output section. Replaced bottom casing with a version that has a removable wire grille, recapped, everything's happy. Sun Pro is the OEM.

Left to do: swap in a KeyMouse (Rexpower PL-450) PCB inside a 400W Premier LC-C400ATX casing. (the old PCB inside had sparked and I couldn't fix it.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 28131 of 52735, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today's purchases..
VisionTek GeForce256 DDR w/ DVI
BFG Asylum GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
Total: $20.87 + $7.21 shipping

Found a new e-waste recycling website I may go broke on.. Ordered a GeForce4 Ti 4600 from them a while ago and it came working, so I'll take the plunge by trying another order.

Edit: 5950 Ultra was out of stock, but the GeForce256 is being shipped. 😵

Last edited by wiretap on 2019-04-09, 20:05. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 28132 of 52735, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

Todays haul…
All but the first Octek Fox M works fine (even HDDs). But this motherboard is not beyond repair - boots but reports CMOS error...

Nice..! You really seem to be interested in the same stuff I am 😎 Good we dont live in the same area 🤣

Reply 28133 of 52735, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:

Nice one, retardware! [...] I admit that it looks a bit... special 😀

retardware wrote:
Now I know what this strange thing is actually called. I got it in 2000 when I bought a refurbed PC with this thing built in as […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:

That's a bay-mounted speaker system, based on the shape and the Molex connectors (that usually go inside a computer...)

Now I know what this strange thing is actually called.
I got it in 2000 when I bought a refurbed PC with this thing built in as a test system.
These are now in my IBM 5170 playstation, just for making it look a bit more retarded 😁

The sound quality is... umm... well I like it just for the optical bad taste factor and debugging in case of SPDIF problems 😀

Gents, I will use the term "retardware" from now on for my old stuff that doesn't make sense. 😀
EDIT: like Canon BN22 laptop with built-in printer, for example

Reply 28134 of 52735, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

Todays haul…

Nice..! You really seem to be interested in the same stuff I am 😎 Good we dont live in the same area 🤣

😁
Yup, and it's getting worse… I wasn't interested in VLB cards… then by accident I bought very nice Genoa motherboard with VLB and Cyrix CPU... and now I regret I sold very nice S3 VGA that came with it 😒

I wasn't interested in MFM/RLL stuff… then by another accident I bought PC with MFM drive inside…

I pray I don't find some old mainframe in some garage ;D for now - please intervene if I will start mumbling about how nice PDP is or how cool winchester drives sound ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28135 of 52735, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:

Gents, I will use the term "retardware" from now on for my old stuff that doesn't make sense. 😀
EDIT: like Canon BN22 laptop with built-in printer, for example

This made me curious and I looked at youtube, only to remember when in 1981 a computer dealer showed me the newly-arrived brand-new first portable computer "for dynamic businessmen on the move".
I was highly skeptical that many businessmen would be willing to pay DM 10000+ (about $10000) to carry around a circa 20kg "portable" computer, even though its plasma screen was cool.

findex.jpg(Image source: http://computermuseum.informatik.uni-stuttgar … /dev_en/findex/)

Reply 28136 of 52735, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

Todays haul…

That's a pretty unique 386 board. It has the CPU on a card, AND it has OPTi local bus.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 28137 of 52735, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not necessarily 'bought', but I got this off the craigslist 'free stuff' section.

Digital VaxStation II/GPX
Dual 5.25 floppy drives
310 MB MFM HDD
2ffOoy9h.jpg
AAJ3CXkh.jpg

HP 9000/300 series Mainframe system
Motorola 69030
HP 7937 Hard Disk Drive: 571 Mb, 8 inch platters, HPIB interface
jqaNUAzh.jpg

IBM 5085 Graphics Processor
From what I've been able to find, this is a terminal of sorts that connects with a system 3/70, or a PC/RT and some accessories to make up the IBM 5080 Graphics System.
9m8J1zRh.jpg
7XVXbs1h.jpg

IBM 3191 Terminal Monitor
1FSPDHch.jpg

Silicon Graphics O2
3EPmqLKh.jpg

TRS-80 Model II
M51WhmY.jpg

Keyboards and Accessories
GWYX1ob.jpg

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 28139 of 52735, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:
Not necessarily 'bought', but I got this off the craigslist 'free stuff' section. […]
Show full quote

Not necessarily 'bought', but I got this off the craigslist 'free stuff' section.

Digital VaxStation II/GPX
Dual 5.25 floppy drives
310 MB MFM HDD
2ffOoy9h.jpg
AAJ3CXkh.jpg

Oh man, I used to work on a system very similar to this although a newer model. I can feel the weight of that case through my screen. 🤣