VOGONS

First post, by Tanman9990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I purchased a new old stock intellimouse off of ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2000-Sealed-Micr … 872.m2749.l2649

But one thing I noticed is that it is glossy instead of matte, I don't remember ball mouse's being glossy. Is this one different and I am mistaken? Can anyone more knowledgeable tell me if I have gotten a fake?

tgfoeuvh.jpg

Zxf3wuOh.jpg

0JAiUTgh.jpg

RWIYbO5h.jpg

r5iwb3th.jpg

G9U6sroh.jpg

Reply 3 of 18, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably not exactly random but you may have received an example of a batch with glossy finish. Does the box explicitely say the item is matte?

What amuses me is that Microsoft actually calls this mouse easy to hold for left-handed persons. Looking at the shape, I have my doubts on that.

Reply 5 of 18, by Tanman9990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mikeyp wrote:

It's not fake. Some early ones were glossy. See this LGR video posted recently. Skip to 5:32 to see him unbox one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLGVBBp_VfY

WOW! I was just watching the exact same video you linked!

A man of culture I see

Reply 6 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought all the retail ones were glossy, and the OEM versions were usually matte.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 18, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The one i bought off eBay a year ago was a sealed NOS retail version and has a glossy finish. I was very suprised also. I remember these Mice being matte back then too. Also saw that LGR reaction and that gave me a chuckle.

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 8 of 18, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tanman9990 wrote:

WOW! I was just watching the exact same video you linked!

A man of culture I see

I love his videos. If I did youtube videos, that's what I'd do, only his are far more interesting than what I'd manage.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I thought all the retail ones were glossy, and the OEM versions were usually matte.

That makes sense. I wonder why?...

Reply 11 of 18, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have only seen them in white and glossy finish. Never matt finish. And never with a scroll wheel. Sure in pictures I have, yet never in person. The intellimouse 3.0a was a completely differen beast though. Actually the best one that I have ever tried in my life.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had the intellimouse with the scroll wheel. I bought it at Best Buy in the late 90s. It was glossy.
I remember the MS mouse being white and glossy going back to around 1990 or so.
I remember the OEM ones for companies like Dell sometimes being matte finish...usually beige (and later black).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny... 😀

I am actually writing this using the exact mouse that is shown on the back of your retail box, the white one far left bottom...!
The 'revolutionary' one.

Now THAT is the mouse you should have bought! 😁

I remember paying $100 for it brand new in january 1999, after in a stroke of random luck finding the box lying unassumingly in a computer shop's shock seller bin - all my (then current) mouse dreams came through that day.

Point being, it was optical, as in NO darn ball...
And had the same shape as I was well used with.

Oh, and it is glossy as well, so there...

Reply 17 of 18, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote:

Love the picture of the mouse on the front cover on the box. What is that thing? An aubergine of some sort? 🤣 😁

Thats the hole in the box where the mouse goes. Also helps in identifying if the mouse is glossy or matt. 🤣