l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:
Twins. Baby ATX , Super Socket 7's FIC VA-503+’s with AMD K6 CPU’s. […]
Show full quote

Twins.
Baby ATX , Super Socket 7's
FIC VA-503+’s with AMD K6 CPU’s.

These should work great for over locking an AMD k5-3+-450mhz to 550mhz.

Maybe even try for 600Mhz or a bit higher. For the 6x multipler, set the jumpers to 2x.

I think those boards should also have a few settings that are above 100Mhz fsb if I remember correctly.

I think I will try one out over the weekend. See if I can achieve 550mhz.
Motherboard settings read I can set to up to ( 100, 112, or 124mhz x 5.5 )
I don’t know why they allow these motherboards to clock so high if the K6 max’s out at 500mhz. ?

Attachments

Reply 28181 of 52680, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I think I will try one out over the weekend. See if I can achieve 550mhz. Motherboard settings read I can set to up to ( 100, 11 […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:
Twins. Baby ATX , Super Socket 7's FIC VA-503+’s with AMD K6 CPU’s. […]
Show full quote

Twins.
Baby ATX , Super Socket 7's
FIC VA-503+’s with AMD K6 CPU’s.

These should work great for over locking an AMD k5-3+-450mhz to 550mhz.

Maybe even try for 600Mhz or a bit higher. For the 6x multipler, set the jumpers to 2x.

I think those boards should also have a few settings that are above 100Mhz fsb if I remember correctly.

I think I will try one out over the weekend. See if I can achieve 550mhz.
Motherboard settings read I can set to up to ( 100, 112, or 124mhz x 5.5 )
I don’t know why they allow these motherboards to clock so high if the K6 max’s out at 500mhz. ?

For overclocking. 124Mhz will almost certainly not work or be very unstable. 112Mhz should work fine though.

You can also set the multiplier to 2x and the CPU will see it as 6x.

If it can handle 550Mhz, but can't do 600Mhz, you may want to try 112 x 5 which will give you 560Mhz.

Fun fact: I had a K6-2 550 running at 660 Mhz on an ASUS P5A back in the day. The K6-2+ and K6-3+ CPUs are supposed to be better overclockers than the regular K6-2 CPUs. They use a lower stock voltage.

Also, the K6-2 and + CPUs don't max out at 500Mhz. There were up to 570Mhz stock speed ones. Fastest stock speed one I have is a K6-2+ 550.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6-2/AMD-Mobile … -2+-570ACZ.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28182 of 52680, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Drove 3 1/2 hours to get this IBM PC RT 125 today.

Luckily it's been upgraded to modern IDE disks, so the original software should still be intact if they transferred it. It has a really strange monitor connector though, so I'll have to find an adapter cable.
yxVQj1Ih.jpg

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 28184 of 52680, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought an AMD Geode NX CPU ANXL 1500FGC3F for free(ebay coupon) i just paid $5 of shipping, since i couldn't find any one locally, it was a nice price for me.

Reply 28185 of 52680, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned the model name.

I am pretty sure it isn't jumper configured, more of a non-PnP but software configured SB16

Oh, I was wrong, did some research, and the jumpers above the vibra chip actually do configure the resources used by the card when powered up. So it is usable right from bootup without any creative software.

You can then change IRQ and DMA using diagnose if you want (I guess good for games that want to see sound blaster on IRQ 7).

I also have a CT2810 with IDE interface and OPL3 with these jumpers in my 386. So I guess moar winnage.

Reply 28186 of 52680, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It arrived... IWILL ZMAXdp!!! Looks brand freaking new -- not a spec of dust in/on the thing, not even in the power supply. Seller said it was lightly used.. if it was, it was in a IPC/ESDA clean room, 🤣. Waiting for my other Opteron 250 to arrive, then I'll put an OS on it. But yay, it boots with a single processor 😁 Serial# 946. Came in the original box with all the user manuals, fold-out quick start poster, Wi-Fi antenna, and driver/software CD. 😎

LD0WJ9ih.jpg

n2ztelDh.jpg

TFvMW2ah.jpg

zL818qNh.jpg

Barae1Sh.jpg

0bRZLo9h.jpg

QVA9g6Vh.jpg

rDKnaLVh.jpg

Last edited by wiretap on 2019-04-13, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 28187 of 52680, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

It arrived... IWILL ZMAXdp!!! Looks brand freaking new -- not a spec of dust in/on the thing, not even in the power supply. Seller said it was lightly used.. if it was, it was in a IPC/ESDA clean room, 🤣.

Maybe as a demo machine in a shop? It looks like it once had a video card that was removed...

Reply 28188 of 52680, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
wiretap wrote:

It arrived... IWILL ZMAXdp!!! Looks brand freaking new -- not a spec of dust in/on the thing, not even in the power supply. Seller said it was lightly used.. if it was, it was in a IPC/ESDA clean room, 🤣.

Maybe as a demo machine in a shop? It looks like it once had a video card that was removed...

The seller included an AGP ATI Radeon HD 3650 1GB. I put it in there for the test boot. Could have been a demo box. I doubt someone would go through all the trouble of thoroughly cleaning the entire thing inside and out to sell it on Ebay for $50.

My Github

Reply 28189 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm very happy to see that machine in action!

Its a shame 771 was the last socket to have dual cpu and anything small enough to fit in a micro atx. I'm kicking my own ass for not having the cash to get that iwill. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 28190 of 52680, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ that's pretty neat, love that CPU cooler block. Nice to see it's in such good shape too! The 'shark fin' is a nice touch.

And it's got SATA, which I could see being hugely beneficial in a machine like that... My Shuttle XPC doesn't have it; the IDE cables I had to use really clog up the case and make a disorganized mess.

What were they thinking with those front USB ports though? Was the designer just a massive Gamecube fanboy or what? I'm surprised N^nt*ndo didn't sue them, they seem to be suing everybody about everything these days.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 28191 of 52680, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ATI 9800XT 256mb AGP8X

I've never been a big fan of ATI... but figured i'd add another rare piece to my collection, and its NOS.

Attachments

• 9800XT 256mb 1.jpg
    Filename
    9800XT 256mb 1.jpg
    File size
    347.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 9800XT 256mb 2.jpg
    Filename
    9800XT 256mb 2.jpg
    File size
    332.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 28192 of 52680, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the rear fin serve any purpose ?
What exactly is it a “RED FISH” ?
What are the blue led’s in front for ?

Nice retro looking computer.
Even has a BIG FIN like an old Cadillac or 1950’s car.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-04-13, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28193 of 52680, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a wireless 802.11x antenna. You have to pull it off to take the cover off. The wifi card itself (mini-PCI) is underneath the motherboard. There's 3"x3" door on the bottom of the case that opens up with a screw to remove it.

My Github

Reply 28196 of 52680, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this video card recently, a Chips & Technologies F64300 Wingine DX, which, according to PC Mag, sports a video cache called XRAM. This is an optional feature which I think mine is missing. The empty sockets are there above the video RAM, so I assume I could simply enable it by throwing regular DRAM chips on them?

FURG2x9.jpg

Last edited by stalk3r on 2019-04-13, 21:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28197 of 52680, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I am looking for a better ISA VGA than Tseng ET4000AX, I bid for a package of mobo+some cards, as the vga card had VRAM equipped and made me guess it is a S3 86C911.

Photos were very bad, not allowing clear identification of items, and seller has bad profile.
So I got the package for ~30 euros, and it arrived today.

DSCN9707.jpg

Mobo, with SiS chipset, VLB, Am486DX2/66, and some RAM.
The RAM turned out as 4MB Siemens modules with chips made in Germany, so it was welcome.
Instantly put it into my 486 DOS game rig I am currently trying to finish 😀

Mobo does not look low-quality, and battery looks just fine, no leak.
Will test it soon. My gut feeling says it will work.
If anybody knows which mobo this is - please tell 😀

DSCN9713.jpg

VLB multi I/O card. Doesn't look bad, although the PCB material looks strange. It even has a FCC ID!

DSCN9716.jpg

An ESS688 sound card. I guess it is worthless crap?

DSCN9700.jpg

And this is the graphics card because of which I bought the bundle.
Sadly the card conflicts with the AHA-1542CF. 😢

Does anybody have an idea why the AHA-1542CF BIOS does not come up, no matter which address it is configured, if this S3 vga card is installed?

Reply 28198 of 52680, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ that ESS sound card is OK for what it is - it even has a clone opl3 : the square dxp chip
I don't think that s3 card is faster than an ET4000 , I have a diamond-branded one and I was not impressed.
If you want a fast isa card that won't have the tseng issues get a WD90C30 or 31 one with 1MB of ram. Never had an issue with one, as fast as tseng with 1mb installed and games like it. The only "drawback" is that most WD cards come with 8bit DACs so it's only 256colors. Personally I don't care for an isa gaming system but your need might be different.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28199 of 52680, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info on the ESS card. So it is not the bottom quality class. 😀

Actually I am looking for an ISA vga that can be software-tuned to different screen refresh rates, for reducing CRT flicker.
Spea cards do that. But they are hard to find. 😠
And it might even turn out that they also do not cooperate with the AHA-1542CF as well 🙁

Speed is quite unimportant in this case, as this builds' purpose is to play DOS games that do not run well on fast systems.
At the resolutions these games use, I guess even an 8bit VGA would do... 😎