VOGONS

cpu upgrade (penitum 200 mmx)

Topic actions

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have been thinking of upgrading the cpu to a Penitum 200 mmx from a penitum 133

would there any disadvantages to this from the current build from ms-dos 6.22 or windows 3.11/95 (i use slowdown software for older dos games)

what improvements would there be other than higher clock speed

link to current build i am thinking of upgrading
my first vintage pc build (Win 95) - RETIRED

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-02-22, 13:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, the biggest improvement is when using SETMUL. The P55C design has more parameters to toggle for throttling and more performance differentiation from those parameters.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 32, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_UV_ wrote:

You will need Win95 OSR 2 or later build with proper support for MMX, or you may encounter BSOD if software/games try to use it with OS knowing nothing how to handle it.

I will be using windows 95 osr2 dual booted with dos 6.22/windows 3.11

Reply 4 of 32, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got my hands on penitum 200mhz mmx cpu and something is a little weird, my machine would not post with the correct jumpers (according to the manual)

However it does post and say it penitum mmx 200 with one jumper on single voltage (not dual voltage) and another jumper (again according to the manual) is on p54c std not p55c but it the only way it will post

Will I be OK leaving it like this

Reply 5 of 32, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With some good cooling the mmx will run fine with 3,3v. But if that board is supposed to support the mmx I would try and sort out the jumpers first.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some very early So7 boards were made with optional support for P55C, with place for the required VRM, and jumpers to go with it, but without the VRM itself. Does it look like there is VRM circuitry near the CPU socket linked to JP6? If not, it might explain why it doesn't work...

Reply 8 of 32, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a pic of the section where there is heatsink

Attachments

Reply 9 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are two transistors screwed in that heatsink which are there to regulate the CPU voltage. But as you can see, on the right there is a spot for a third one. I'm not sure if it's needed, but the circuit has been made for three transistors.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 32, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am guessing even tho there is jumper for dual voltage, is no circuit for it, hence when the jumpers are set right according to manual for this cpu doesn't boot or post

Is a way to get the part for vrm to screw and solder into the third space on the heatsink or will it easier to get another socket 7 AT motherboard that has the circuit for dual voltage

Here is a pic of post screen with jumpers set for single voltage and p54c set (which is what my p133 was at), only jumpers that needed to be changed was the multiplier setting

Attachments

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-02-23, 10:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess you could ask somebody that has this board what's the reference of the missing transistor ?

Maybe this ebay seller would help you : https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Trend-ATC-1000-V-2 … m-/172146172367

If you have ok soldering skills, this should be easier to do than finding another socket 7 mobo for cheap.

By the way, I see you have 80MB of ram, but the i430VX chipset can't cache memory past 64MB

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 32, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did see that board on ebay and message the seller, if he would sell witout the ram and cpu but yeah could ask him what transistor is used there and see if possible to do

I do know that about the ram but I haven't noticed any performance difference at all

Reply 13 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well as long as you don't use more than 64MB of ram, you should be allright, but if anything gets over it, it will not be cached

Reply 15 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that I look closer, that third transistor might not be the only missing component : there's a missing IC with "U27" labeled on the PCB. According to the ebay seller's photos, it seems to be the same as U26 IC.

Soldering SMD is more tough than a normal component, but if you feel you can do it, there are tutorials to teach you how to do that with a normal soldering iron

Reply 19 of 32, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use the top part of the RAM as RAMDISK with XMSDSK utility.
In your case, it would be a 16MB ramdisk.
I have 256MB of ram in my MMX build, of which 192MB is allocated to a ramdisk.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!