Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28280 of 52730, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vegge wrote:

Dual GPU S3 Trio 64v+. With my thing for dual things this was awesome, have yet to try it though. The cache was from the same seller so I bought that aswell.

A great looking card. I presume the second chip just drives the second output and it is not some sort of 2D SLI 😀

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 28281 of 52730, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vegge wrote:

Saw this on the local auctionsite and just had to have it.
Dual GPU S3 Trio 64v+. With my thing for dual things this was awesome, have yet to try it though. The cache was from the same seller so I bought that aswell.

I got a graphics card that kinda looks similar to that one. But mine has only one VGA port, and it also has a built-on cooling fan, so my vintage graphics card gets more cooling. Haha!

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 28282 of 52730, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This cutie came in the mail today. Phone camera doesn't do justice to how shiny it is. Hopefully when I take out the real camera for the build log it'll capture it much better.

DITygNNl.jpg
OCvKtzcl.jpg
fiVyI5sl.jpgo1unRHil.jpg

All the text on the "memorial" side of the board is quite shiny and reflective, along with the platinum plated heatsink.

I love it.

Reply 28283 of 52730, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

found a 486 board with PCI, VLB, 72 pin simms, CELP slot for l2 cache, and a cr2032 battery for a decent price off of ebay. also has a AMI WinBIOS
s-l1600.jpg

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 28284 of 52730, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Windows9566 wrote:
found a 486 board with PCI, VLB, 72 pin simms, CELP slot for l2 cache, and a cr2032 battery for a decent price off of ebay. also […]
Show full quote

found a 486 board with PCI, VLB, 72 pin simms, CELP slot for l2 cache, and a cr2032 battery for a decent price off of ebay. also has a AMI WinBIOS
s-l1600.jpg

In case you don't know, this is a PC Chips M919 and you can't use a standard cache module you would use on a Pentium board. It uses its only proprietary cache module.

Reply 28285 of 52730, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eleanor1967 wrote:
Windows9566 wrote:
found a 486 board with PCI, VLB, 72 pin simms, CELP slot for l2 cache, and a cr2032 battery for a decent price off of ebay. also […]
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg

In case you don't know, this is a PC Chips M919 and you can't use a standard cache module you would use on a Pentium board. It uses its only proprietary cache module.

so would putting a coast module in it fry the board, and also, is the board worth it for a 486 PC? or not. I just requested to cancel the board to the seller, it hasn't shipped yet anyway, i have heard that it was a sucky board cause of stability/reliability issues. i just went with another socket 7 board after i got the refund.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by Windows9566 on 2019-04-18, 21:28. Edited 2 times in total.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 28286 of 52730, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

This cutie came in the mail today. Phone camera doesn't do justice to how shiny it is. Hopefully when I take out the real camera for the build log it'll capture it much better.
All the text on the "memorial" side of the board is quite shiny and reflective, along with the platinum plated heatsink.

I love it.

Beautiful motherboard! Congratulations. But lack of ISA is a crime 😀

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 28287 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Saw this for 2 bucks so I impulse-purchased it..

AMD-K6-2-366-AFK.jpg

I had never seen the AFK part number before, turns out this is a Mobile K6-2P processor. Can anyone tell me what if anything makes it special?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28288 of 52730, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

two 486 vlb combos 😀

i always wanted a "real" dx2-66 board:
* from 1993 (the dx2 is still a top cpu)
* socket 2 lif
* vlb, the pci just released
* not 3/486 hybrid, with 256k cache
* early but not the lamest vlb chipset (opti 495 etc)
* 30 pin simms
* socketed rtc (not soldered battery)
* interesting feature - possible to change the vlb timing at every slot

from Oct 1993
Intel 486DX2 66 SX807
DTK PKM-0037S SiS 85C461
Motorola 30 pin FPM 70ns 1M x4
Goldstar 30 pin FPM 70ns 1M x4

20190418_081404.jpg
Filename
20190418_081404.jpg
File size
584.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and el classico dx4 from 1994/95 (spare part, this is the 3rd sv2)
Intel DX4 100 WB SK096
Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 rev 2.0 SiS 85C471 RU
Sharp 72 pin FPM 60ns 8M x2

20190418_081320.jpg
Filename
20190418_081320.jpg
File size
587.35 KiB
Views
File license

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28289 of 52730, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was not posting new things for a while cause I'm so busy 🙁 But that doesn't mean that I don't get new stuff 😉
Here is what came to me this week. Some boxed goodies:

- Roland CM-500
- IBM Music Feature Card
- Canopus Spectra X20 (GF3)
- PowerLeap for Slot-1 to Socket-370 for Tualatins
- Boxed and sealed! Obsidian X-16
- Ramdrive from Gigabyte

Goodies.jpg
Filename
Goodies.jpg
File size
697.51 KiB
Views
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 28290 of 52730, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
x0zm_ wrote:
This cutie came in the mail today. Phone camera doesn't do justice to how shiny it is. Hopefully when I take out the real camera […]
Show full quote

DITygNNl.jpg
OCvKtzcl.jpg
fiVyI5sl.jpgo1unRHil.jpg

I love it.

It's... It's beautiful, I have simply no words for that.. To be honest, I'd kill to have a motherboard like that!

@Batyra
Nice score! I've heard of software RAMDisks but never seen an actual RAMDisk card, talk about an oddity.

-----------

I promised I'd show some pictures of one of my acquisition... There goes the G3 iMac, it's a G3/400 DV Lime green, and of course the speakers are still good and the drive still works!

eghksww202p21.jpg

Here is it connected to my trusty LG 702S CRT monitor, because this iMac is one of these that had a VGA port in the back, only mirroring unfortunately 🙁

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 28292 of 52730, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retropol wrote:

hi guys, I have some retro hw I dont need - is there any place on this forum to advertise?

If you want money for it, nope. Vcfed.org and Amibay.com are good forums for that. They both have a marketplace area.

On another subject...

Got my Remute music album on a Sega Genesis cart today. I believe it has graphics as it plays back the music. Looks nice with the green colored cart shell. Now I just need a Sega Genesis to play it on. I restored and gave away my three or four consoles a few years back, but as most of you know when something unique comes up for sale you gotta grab it then and worry about the details later or it could be gone quick.

Remute Album.jpg
Filename
Remute Album.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2019-04-19, 01:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28293 of 52730, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:
I was not posting new things for a while cause I'm so busy :( But that doesn't mean that I don't get new stuff ;) Here is what […]
Show full quote

I was not posting new things for a while cause I'm so busy 🙁 But that doesn't mean that I don't get new stuff 😉

- Roland CM-500
- IBM Music Feature Card
- Ramdrive from Gigabyte

Goodies.jpg

But not busy enough to not find some really rare hardware 😀 Great finds. I never see Canopus cards in my country, I guess that it's a local brand?

Reply 28294 of 52730, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
Batyra wrote:
I was not posting new things for a while cause I'm so busy :( But that doesn't mean that I don't get new stuff ;) Here is what […]
Show full quote

- Roland CM-500
- IBM Music Feature Card
- Ramdrive from Gigabyte

Goodies.jpg

But not busy enough to not find some really rare hardware 😀 Great finds. I never see Canopus cards in my country, I guess that it's a local brand?

I got a Canopus Voodoo, the Pure3D, on Marktplaats once, still one of my best finds. 2 euros 😁 Has 6 MB of memory instead of 4 MB, and a non-standard loopthough cable.

1982 to 2001

Reply 28295 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Canopus is Japanese high-end stuff. Rare in the day as you paid through the teeth for the privilege. That hasn't changed 😉

Postman came here today too. Unfortunately nowhere near as spectacular as Batyra's (drooling for that I-RAM), but nice enough for me to be happy:

full.jpg

PQI 128MB 44p IDE disk-on-module (which will hopefully work in my 486SLC low-profile build)
MSI MS-5158 TX5 ATX motherboard with i430TX chipset and lots of nice ISA slots.
and of course the Yamaha MU50-XG. Not an MU80, but close enough. So now I have XG as well as GS. Maybe now I'll stop buying this stuff (and pigs can fly 😜 )

Reply 28296 of 52730, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batyra wrote:

Beautiful motherboard! Congratulations. But lack of ISA is a crime

Vynix wrote:

It's... It's beautiful, I have simply no words for that.. To be honest, I'd kill to have a motherboard like that!

Thank you both! I tested yesterday, and it is working fine. It needs some cleaning, but I'll have to be careful with it. I'm not sure if I want to put it in a build or just keep it on Display. I'm leaning towards the latter. I don't want it to die on me. 😵

dionb wrote:

Canopus is Japanese high-end stuff. Rare in the day as you paid through the teeth for the privilege. That hasn't changed 😉

Yeah. I've been slowly replacing my VGA collection with Canopus models, both S3 and Nvidia, PCI & whatever connector it is that the Sharp PCs used up there. I've also been doing some driver patches and translating all their software into English in a very sporadic intervals. I can't read Japanese in the slightest, but with online tools + a bit of thinking about what the buttons do, it's easy enough to figure out. It'll make a nice package release when it's done, especially since some of their earlier drivers threw a hissy fit when installing on non-Japanese OSes.

Speaking of which, I'm eyeing a couple more to buy from the earlier S3 models. A ViRGE and another Vision864.

On topic: I've got some stuff in the mail that's MIDI related but it won't be coming until Tuesday due to the Easter long weekend. A whole bunch of Roland SC-55/SC-88/MT-32 (and misc others) alongside some Yamaha MU & TG model books and manuals. Traded them with someone for some spare VGA cards I did not need. Win-win in my eyes!

I'll also likely have a nice set of beige Yamaha PC speakers coming too. My current Pentium I audio setup is planned and built around an amp & big bookshelf speakers, but I'm planning on swapping those over to my CRT TV for console & movie use, and going with nice beige speakers and sub for the PC.

Reply 28297 of 52730, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

liqmat, thanks for the hint I will go there. By the way - I wanted to send a pm to you, but I am blocked on this forum to send PMs - I can not sent anything to anyone.

In terms of retro - I am mostly interested in something very rare and weird. So I keep that for me, and I will share here what I bought if I will get anything special. What I want to sell is something I dont need to have / is a standard retro hw from my perspective.