VOGONS

flashback cd

Topic actions

First post, by psn_hu

User metadata

Hi there!
I can't get this game work in DOSBox either.
The DOSBox' (0.63) code window says "illegal opcode", and it freezes. 🙁
I tried VMWare+MSDOS6.22 too, the result is the same.
Any ideas?!
Thanks in advance!

Reply 4 of 10, by Mr. Orange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, just tried running this game on the new Dosbox 0.65, but the bat file installation fails to create the needed directiory.
I finally managed to install by running the installation in the WINXP command prompt rather than through dosbox. (but you need to make sure your mounted cd drive and real cd drive letters correspond in this case or alternatively edit go.bat).

Anyway the game works but there is no SFX. The setup prog recognizes the soundcard fine, the background music works and the cutscene sound and speech work as well but not the ingame SFX. No such problem on floopy version. Any suggestions?

Reply 5 of 10, by Mr. Orange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Figured it out - but it's more of a workaround then a real solution.

I copied the entire contents of the CD to the install directory, and changed the go.bat file to run the game from there, rather than from the CD.

Reply 7 of 10, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just FYI that someone created a dedicated Flashback engine (kind of like ScummVM but just for Flashback) called REminiscence.
Despite what its README states, it runs the CD version natively with the movies, sound, music, etc.
When you move between rooms, there's no delay, unlike in other versions of the game.

I'm even working with this programmer on a couple of improvements.

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the BIOS flashback feature of mainly newer ASUS motherboards which support flashing the BIOS via a specific USB port even if the board won't POST.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-24, 19:32:

By the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the BIOS flashback feature of mainly newer ASUS motherboards which support flashing the BIOS via a specific USB port even if the board won't POST.

It is not, it is another wonderful DOS game, a very good one, and I finished it with DOSBox. It could be miss at the time because I was completing the game in SoundBlaster BGM. It would probably be another great experience with DOSBox with Munt MT32 BGM.