VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this about a month ago for its "old and might be valueable" ties but since I dont know anything about how to use a programer or have a need for one I will sell it, in the manual it came with it says its an IC Tester & EPROM Writer & SRAM Tester & DRAM Tester, it comes with a SCSI cable to plug into the main board and the other end connects to the box where you put the IC's, it looks complete. How much is this unit worth?

uc?export=download&id=1fkidhxkmoEKTmDFyYJ9hQP7SdDKrjwGn

uc?export=download&id=1qwfWMgYFEpdS81nVinx0QMj7QjNVTzvo

Reply 2 of 7, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I got a floppy disk and a manual the floppy has 2 exe files and a readme but the exe files are only 35KB and 36KB so whatever the exe files do they are not very big.

Edit: I ran both the exe files in Dosbox and they are working the same as it is in the manual.

Reply 4 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These things are useful only as complete set, with software and all required things. And even then they're not exactly great compared to the cheapest options available nowdays, clumsy software and limited device support being the main problems.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering it has 4 identical EPROM sockets and low serial number I'd say it was some sort of factory device used on an assembly line for burning BIOS ROMs and/or testing DRAM chips. Old tech, mid-'80 or very early '90. DOS was widely used then and even later it would not be an issue, since all the operator has to do is insert the chips and push a keyboard button, you don't need fancy GUI for that.

Even if I'm wrong, it can only handle 28-pin ROMs so only chips up to 64kB or so and only 5V ones. So it's of some use to someone who knows how to use it but frankly you can get a modern USB programmer with way more supported devices for what, 50$? As a tool this is worth much less, especially considering a working DOS machine with ISA slots would be hard to come by today, but perhaps some collector would pay for it.

Reply 6 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As Deunan said, as a tool this is worthless. I know only one person insane enough to use eprom programmer manufactured in the 80s (curiousmarc), and he collects stuff from the 50-70s as a hobby 😀

the only useful thing you can do with this is upload software to archive.org for others, there are about ~10 people on the net looking for FAIRY YIH-LUNG YL 23 software over the last 10 years, for example https://sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=7 … start=20#p28003

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 7, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was able to help out someone at sinclairzxworld forum and I have posted the floppy files to archive.org so anyone else needing this can find it there, later I will do scans on the manual too and post them to archive.org as well .