VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like these Zalman fans. They are a piece of art.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-04-27, 20:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only one that is worth a crap is that giant copper Zalman one.

The orb one and the pin one are junk as far as cooling performance goes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for your 2 cents. I think it’s more about where did they come out with these designs and what are the meanings ? Some are just really out there. Pieces of art. It’s like art work. Some like it some don’t. Others want to talk about it.

Reply 3 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Thanks for your 2 cents. I think it’s more about where did they come out with these designs and what are the meanings ? Some are just really out there. Pieces of art. It’s like art work. Some like it some don’t. Others want to talk about it.

It's just that the form over function thing is one of my pet peeves. Coolers back then pretty much all sucked until they came out with the thin-fin designs.

I have some coolers that I will post in this thread... those two besides the Zalman just irk me really bad since I actually wasted money on one of the pin design ones and we sold those orb ones when I worked at a computer store back in the day. Sure they looked cool, but they were worthless as coolers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 29, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How does the Zalman Orm mechanism work? Thermaltakes Golden orb ripoff had a turn to secure action - you can just imagine what it did to Coppermine/Duron/Athlon bare flip chip die cores.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your right, That Thermaltake orb is laud but it does keep the CPU functioning. I never took a heat gun to it to see how hot it gets.
I am a not going to debate quality or function. I would just like to see photos of strange CPU fans.

Reply 6 of 29, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apart from the various Alphas, Swiftechs and Zalmans I also have this beauty:

GOpahzvm.jpg
XDPxVRjm.jpg

What little I can find out about it is that its a "Coolermaster HHC-L51".
A very early, early 2000's, heatpipe cooler.
And it works really well !
Easilly keeps my Athlon 1200C in check.

Reply 7 of 29, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing special, but probably quite unique...
That S7 cooler got warm even with the fan. I didn't like that.

So I decided to exchange the made-in-taiwan fan (right in the photo) with a Japanese one (taken from a butchered beamer).

Cooler didn't get warm anymore.

DSCN9309.jpg

Reply 8 of 29, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heatsinks in my Iwill ZMAXdp to cool the dual Opteron 250's in a Shuttle PC size case -- they are two separate coolers, where one is mounted 90 degrees rotated from the other:
QVA9g6Vl.jpg

Zalman 9500A LED:
LPuNEqrl.jpg

Zalman 9900 LED
cPZIRBgl.jpg

Not retro, but the biggest CPU cooler I could fit in my 7700k/GTX1080 10-liter ITX build (Jonsbo U1 Plus case) with just a few millimeters to spare between the SFX PSU and GPU backplate: Noctua NH-C14S -- just a neat implementation I thought
4GlF5Tal.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9 of 29, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Your right, That Thermaltake orb is laud but it does keep the CPU functioning. I never took a heat gun to it to see how hot it gets.

You misunderstood, ORB mounting mechanism requires a TWISTING action while it squeezes the delicate Die of the CPU. So no, it doesnt "keep the CPU functioning", it does the complete opposite - it cracks corners of Coppermine/Duron/Athlon CPUs. While Intel cpu Dies seemed to be thicker/stronger, AMD ones died very easily after mounting the ORB.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1059642

I just got the new revised Socket A Golden Orb, and it crunched off all four corners of my Duron even before the clip was fully attached

etc. That product was a total disaster.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had some Xeon beast in the past.
Some 2009 Mac Pros with Dual quad core Xeons ( Dual CPU tray with Huge Heatsinks)
Some HP z400 and z800 with fans and heat sinks and some with liquid cooling.
I think these where some of the first consumer computers available with liquid cooling kits.
Apple and HP use to provide some good cooling solutions for there Pro workstation lines.
I got rid of these old computers are they where too BIG and Loud and used up to much electricity.
They where real beast however, very good performers in Windows XP with dual xeons, 8-cores and 16-threads.
48gb of ram upgradable up to 128gb.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-04-27, 19:57. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 11 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More photos

Attachments

Reply 12 of 29, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes, the CPU is not the hottest part of the system.

Keep your cool.jpg
Filename
Keep your cool.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File comment
Keep your cool
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Voodoo-3 heatsink Mods.
“60mm x 60mm x 20mm” fans with “Molex 3v adapter”.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-60mm-6020s-12V- … 872.m2749.l2649
I just tied them on with thin wire.

I think I will add a fan controller to these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-to-3-Computer-Case … DkAAOSwcCJcobNI

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-04-27, 20:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 14 of 29, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to remember the Swiftech MCX-VPro / 603-V / 604-v heatsinks, being more than decent for Xeon cooling - they even came supplied with AS Ceramique TIM.

Don't seem to have much left these days you'd call that unique or custom - so probably this; my Vantec AeroFlow with TMD fan which in reality didn't cool that well, certainly wasn't that quiet (fan always sounded to me like a small jet engine) and was a sod to get on and off the socket.

Vantec AeroFlow.JPG
Filename
Vantec AeroFlow.JPG
File size
999.53 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 15 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one came with a Motherboard purchase.
It's a "Cooler Master Aero" with a fan speed controller.
for Socket Intel 370 or AMD Socket A

Attachments

• Cooler Master Aero.jpg
    Filename
    Cooler Master Aero.jpg
    File size
    31.13 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 16 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cooler Master Jet-7 cooler
Zalman 3100-plus flower cooler.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 29, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That jet7 cooler looks almost like a GP7000 turbofan engine, if there was one that would be considered an unique CPU cooler, it would be this one :p

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 18 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, must look nice on a dual socket 370 motherboard.
I think I am going to try to build a mini tower computer.
With a dual 370 motherboard.
And two of these Jet-7 coolers.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-05-09, 18:24. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19 of 29, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a Cooler Master Jet 7+ cooler in my overclocked Tualatin system. Compared to the regular Jet 7, it has a fully copper heatsink instead of an aluminium one. Thanks to it, my CPU never reaches 40°C even though the FSB is running at 149MHz.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3