VOGONS

First post, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was going through some boxes and found my old boxed Kings Quest IV(AGI version not SCI).

Popped disk 1 into my floppy drive, it picks up the size and space used/left but wont open. Disk 2 and 3 work fine.

Is there any software(Win 98 or XP)out there that can somehow extract the informatoon or is it a done deal aka dead floppy?

Reply 1 of 4, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a different drive, maybe a native DD one rather than HD if possible. You can try to create an image with DiskImage (or better yet ImageDisk but that is a DOS tool and requires some skill to use properly). If the problem is with the FAT, and not actual data, that can be repaired - even by hand in hex editor if need be. Or you can just make a copy and try chkdsk/scandisk - sometimes that works. Just don't try to fix the original that way before you image it or it might truly become useles.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please also keep in mind that some of the older AGI games had copy protection on disk #1.
My copy of KQ3 and my father's copy of LSL1 had a defective track/sector on that disk for that reason.
Tools like Sierra Unpr*tect were able to "fix" the disk check issue, but it's been a long time since I looked into this.
Personally, I would keep the original disk set and try to find another -uhm- solution to play that game.

Edit: Also please note that Win9x could alter your originals if the write-protect slider was in wrong position. DOS, Win 3.x, OS/2 and NT are safe, though.
See http://web.archive.org/web/20190402230711/htt … the-ihc-damage/

Edit: Minor edit.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried doing just a standard DOS diskcopy?

Windows 3.11 diskcopy can sometimes copy disks without caring what's on it.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks