VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My wife discovered two weeks ago a new karaoke program (twitch sings), so it has triggered a hardware purchasing frenzy.

She bought a Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 microphone and some kind of mic screen to avoid strange sounds in her recordings. And now she's going to buy an external sound device (Behringer U-Phoria?) because the mic have XLR connection (yes, although she works in IT she has the bad habit of not reading the full specs) and she thinks that a jack to XLR wire will lose too much quality.

At this moment, she has USB "gaming" headphones (Turtle Beach P11). The quality (when playing music) is not great, although I must say that it does not matter in most games and that the mic is good for chat. So I wanted to buy her better headphones, and I was looking for:

- Good quality /cost.
- Not more than 100$/€.
- Headphones, not earphones.
- Wired.

Note that noise-cancelling is optional, and I suspect that it's better not having it (=no sound processing in headphones).

I know that beats and Sennheiser are the most known brands, but also I know that beats have not-so-good quality for their price tag, and that there are cheaper headphones with same or better quality than those known brands. What headphones would you recommed to pair with that sound device?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I do only know a few good headphones that I used myself, too.
To mind come these right now:
- AKG Monitor K141 (600 Ohm version)
- Sennheiser HD 424 (vintage)
- Sennheiser HD 433
- Sennheiser HD 555
- Sennheiser HD 600 (semi vintage)

Anyway, that' just a short personal list.
Most of these are nolonger on sale, but can be bought second-hand.
Since the ear pads are replacable, this shouldn't be that of a problem, though..

However, if someone has used closed headphones before,
it requires a few days until the hearing has conformed to it..

Good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like my Sennheiser Momentum (original version). I go mine for around $70 but prices seem to have gone up since then. Probably because they are no longer made.

Cheapest I found was $85 + shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323775851115

The only downside is that they may not be that comfortable if you have big ears.

I use mine all the time and got a mod-mic 5 so I can use them while playing multiplayer games.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would stay away from Beats. I am an Audio Technica fan myself - I have the ATH-M50X studio headphones and they are excellent. I use them for everything. They have lower priced options too.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 16, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My experience with "cans" is that although you can quickly assess the sound quality, it takes prolonged use to discover if they're comfortable. I'd rather have slightly less than optimal sound than have hot ears or excessive pressure from the frame. Cheap Sony in-ear are my choice if hours of use are required.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the comfortability factor, I can attest to the M50X's being comfortable. I have tried some of the cheaper models, however, and they are not nearly as comfortable over time. They squish your ears.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like my Sony MDR7506s, although they can be very revealing of flaws in your source material.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 16, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sennheiser HD 555s have been recommended for years, and for good reason. They are completely overrear and they have a good head band and are pretty light weight. Very comfortable. Their sound is perfect for mids and highs, with the only flaw being that the base isn't particularly punchy. They are open back, which means they sound a lot more natural than closed back headphones, but they basically do nothing to block out ambient noise. I have a closed back Sennheiser 280s right now, which sounds much better than average, but not quite as good as my old HD 555s.

For 50$ or 60$ for a used set the value can't be beat. Highly recommended.

Reply 8 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thread I forgot to close.

I bought her a set of AKG K240 Mk II (the "studio" variant). They sound quite well, but I guess they're a step below some of your suggestions (but they're a quantum leap from their older "gaming" headset).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 16, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones, they were around $100 or so when I bought them but that was more than 20 years ago. They could stand some repairs to the earpieces but whatever the current model # is would probably do you just fine. If you don't want to spend that much they make a $20-$30 set that isn't bad.

Reply 10 of 16, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones, they were around $100 or so when I bought them but that was more than 20 years ago. They could stand some repairs to the earpieces but whatever the current model # is would probably do you just fine. If you don't want to spend that much they make a $20-$30 set that isn't bad.

Reply 11 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm a tight-ass and I personally have and use a pair of Sennheiser 598's. These things are the epitome of comfortable. I can ear them all day and with their open design my ears dont get sweaty or hot. I'd buy these again, at twice the price. I've had mine for 2 years now, and they show zero signs of wear. https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over … B0042A8CW2?th=1

I had the hd280's for like a DECADE before and I loved every second I used them. https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD280PRO-He … ctronics&sr=1-1

I even bought the new "gaming" headset: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Ga … t/dp/B00KK8ZLEC I've only had them for a week now, and they a bit tight on my head, but I only use them when I need to talk to people in game.

I know you said <$100, but honestly, you get what you pay for here up to the about $300 range. (I paid $299 for my 598's) The hd280's are in your price range and won't let you down. But if you shell out the money for something similar to the 598's, you won't regret it. If I had to buy a new set tomorrow, I'd get these: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Prof … _web_2530385011

If you go more expensive the price/value goes down the shitter, as you go deeper into the audio-fool territory. (music creation is a whole different kettle of fish)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 16, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I had the hd280's for like a DECADE before and I loved every second I used them. https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD280PRO-He … ctronics&sr=1-1

I am not sure whether the HD280 uses the same speaker capsules like the HDA280, but I assume that.
I can confirm that the HDA280 is good. The data sheet specifies up to 146dB. I know no better for gaming.

I have some Sony MDR (500mW range) too. Sadly they don't withstand much gaming at realistic sound levels at around 130dB, the coil then tends to open.

Reply 14 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Koss Porta Pros are widely considered to be excellent at their price. No comment personally as I don't own any.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

If you go more expensive the price/value goes down the shitter, as you go deeper into the audio-fool territory. (music creation is a whole different kettle of fish)

Well, there are also electro-static headphones.. Stax was a popular company that made them.
Unlike our everyday headphones, these have a pure and very authentic kind of sound. Ideal for classic music, I suppose.
Price range is between ~250€ for older used models up to 6000€ for modern models. 😀
They need their own amp, though, which might not be included and sold separately..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 16, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I'm a tight-ass and I personally have and use a pair of Sennheiser 598's. These things are the epitome of comfortable. I can ear them all day and with their open design my ears dont get sweaty or hot. I'd buy these again, at twice the price. I've had mine for 2 years now, and they show zero signs of wear. https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over … B0042A8CW2?th=1

[...]

I'll second this, I love my HD598s. I got them off local CL for $60 in near-new condition but I think I kinda robbed the guy. 😜 And I DO use them for music creation (although final mixing/mastering is done on nearfield monitor speakers.)

They're not super bassy and they don't really color the sound; just a clean, accurate, pleasant representation of what you're listening to. You can also listen at LOW volumes without stuff getting lost.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!