Common searches

Reply 100 of 739, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:

I was just drinking a glass of water 😜
You know, some of you guys mentioning drinking a bottle of beer makes me a little jealous, because I have four years until I'm old enough to drink 🤣

You are 14? That is like really young for an Vogon user, and someone that are into vintage computers.

17, actually. I thought 21 was the official alcohol drinking age. Ultrax is correct on what he said.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 101 of 739, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

21 is the age in the U.S.

Many believe it should be 18 again as it used to be, as pushing the age to 21 hasn't reduced drinking by 18-21-year-olds and even high school students all that much. They still drink, they just do it illegally.

The most common argument is that if you can be drafted into the army at 18, you ought to be able to legally drink alcohol at that age as well.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 102 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JonathonWyble wrote:
brostenen wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:

I was just drinking a glass of water 😜
You know, some of you guys mentioning drinking a bottle of beer makes me a little jealous, because I have four years until I'm old enough to drink 🤣

You are 14? That is like really young for an Vogon user, and someone that are into vintage computers.

17, actually. I thought 21 was the official alcohol drinking age. Ultrax is correct on what he said.

I feel sorry for US citizens. No chance of getting to know alcohol or trying a glass of 1000-Dollar/bottle of wine, to go with the premium steak, before the age of 21. On the other hand, then it might sound wierd to an American, that he or she can not use the drivers license in Denmark, before the age of 18.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 103 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

21 is the age in the U.S.

Many believe it should be 18 again as it used to be, as pushing the age to 21 hasn't reduced drinking by 18-21-year-olds and even high school students all that much. They still drink, they just do it illegally.

The most common argument is that if you can be drafted into the army at 18, you ought to be able to legally drink alcohol at that age as well.

True that.... If you are not 18, you are not legal. When you turn 18, you are an adult and should have the same rights as an 25 year old.

Reply 104 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cooked some Svensk Pølseret. Roughly translated: Swedish Sausage Dish (nothing to do with Sweden, just the way it is named).

- 6 thin straight sausage (european vienna sausages), cut into slices. (I use the danish red variant)
- 800 Gram of precooked potatoes, cut into small cubes.
- Lot's of fine chopped onions.
- 1/2 Litre of fresh 38% cream.
- Concentrated tomato paste from a can.
- Powdered paprika.
- Black pepper.

Roast the onions, until they are soft, add the sausages and roast a bit. Add the cream, paprika, pepper and tomato paste.
Ones it is all stirred together, then add the potatoes, and let it sit on low heat for some 20/30 minutes.

SvenskPoelseret.jpg
Filename
SvenskPoelseret.jpg
File size
470.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 105 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice going, Brostenen!

I just learned that Danes have adopted a German word which imho nicely categorises such hearty, simple and affordable cuisine: Husmandskost, from the German Hausmannskost.

Grilled some nice burgers and green asparagus yesterday on the Weber Classic Kettle. I never had much of a thing for barbecuing, but ever since my wife and I moved into a place with a decent size terrace and got a proper grill, it's really been a ton of fun!

Reply 106 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote:

Nice going, Brostenen!

I just learned that Danes have adopted a German word which imho nicely categorises such hearty, simple and affordable cuisine: Husmandskost, from the German Hausmannskost.

Grilled some nice burgers and green asparagus yesterday on the Weber Classic Kettle. I never had much of a thing for barbecuing, but ever since my wife and I moved into a place with a decent size terrace and got a proper grill, it's really been a ton of fun!

Thanks.
Sounds great, grilled/barbequed burgers. Love it my self. Just some fresh salad and other vegetables and you have a nice burger. Add a tiny bit of dressing as well, just for the taste.

Yup. I was never taught how to cook, by my mother. So I had to learn by doing. I think it took me some +10 years, just to figure out how the basic stuff was supposed to be made. Never gave up though, and now I kind of create my own recepies. Everyone tells me that it taste good. I kind of just want to make my cooking better, so I expect people to only tell me the bad stuff about my food, when they taste it. I hate positive responses, because that makes me relax and degrade the quality next time.

Anyway... Husmandskost. Yes.
It is adopted way before the 1860's. As germany invaded denmark in 1864. I think it goes back to 1810/1830. Danes were totally obsessed by german culture before the 1850's, were we won a couple of wars against germany. Then denmark became nationalistic because of the wins, and danes dived down into a nasty type of nationalism. Because if that and because of some election that were held to decide if the northern parts of germany would detach from denmark and become german territory. Then germany felt somewhat threatened and wanted to teach those know-it-all stupid danes a taste of what nationalism brings. So they attacked in 1864 and seized a big chunk of denmark. The aftermath was that we danes learned to shut the f**k up and drop the nasty nationalism. Hell.... A lot of danes thought that god had given danes a green card to say and do anything. Yup we learned our lesson, and that was good.

Back to the word. Sorry for my long rant against denmark.

The word was probably adopted when it was high society and in high fascion, to speak german. There was this thing of german culture being seen at as something romantic. One example is the beer name "carlsberg". The founder if the brewery had a son named Carl. And as he build his new big brewery at the top of a steep hill, facing towards copenhagen. Well. Then it was named "Carlsberg" because of carl and berg (german for mountain). Pretty much just Carl's mountain.

Reply 108 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kikendo wrote:
brostenen wrote:
The attachment Flaeskesteg.jpg is no longer available

My mouth watered at the sight of your beautiful roasted pork 😵

Thanks. 😀

EDIT:
I have found a couple of older pictures that are some 7 years old.

OlderFood-01.jpg
Filename
OlderFood-01.jpg
File size
664.08 KiB
Views
File comment
Butter baked traditional danish oldschool pancakes. Thick and wide with "tiger-stripes". Vanilla and cardamom as spices. I normally serve them with vanilla icecream as a kind of pancake-roll. Sometimes with Nutella and sometimes with boysenberry jam or blueberry jam.
File license
OlderFood-02.jpg
Filename
OlderFood-02.jpg
File size
649.21 KiB
Views
File comment
Bread that have been slow-raising for 14 hours and baked in a pot with a lid for 30 minutes at 250/275 degree celcius, and then removing the lid and baking additional 15 minutes. Taste exactly like south european bread. Like a crossover between French, Italian, German and Hungarian bread.
File license
OlderFood-03.jpg
Filename
OlderFood-03.jpg
File size
680.46 KiB
Views
File comment
Lasagne without cheese.
File license

Reply 109 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad to hear you got your head around cooking on your own! Too many people never quite manage. I was lucky enough to learn a lot from my dad, who got it from his mom, who is Austrian and did a lot of down-home cooking. To this day I still love things like farmer's cheese dumplings (Topfenknödel) with canned plums, which is a Central-European staple:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knedle

brostenen wrote:

Then denmark became nationalistic because of the wins, and danes dived down into a nasty type of nationalism. Because if that and because of some election that were held to decide if the northern parts of germany would detach from denmark and become german territory. Then germany felt somewhat threatened and wanted to teach those know-it-all stupid danes a taste of what nationalism brings. So they attacked in 1864 and seized a big chunk of denmark. The aftermath was that we danes learned to shut the f**k up and drop the nasty nationalism. Hell.... A lot of danes thought that god had given danes a green card to say and do anything. Yup we learned our lesson, and that was good.

Back to the word. Sorry for my long rant against denmark.

The word was probably adopted when it was high society and in high fascion, to speak german. There was this thing of german culture being seen at as something romantic. One example is the beer name "carlsberg". The founder if the brewery had a son named Carl. And as he build his new big brewery at the top of a steep hill, facing towards copenhagen. Well. Then it was named "Carlsberg" because of carl and berg (german for mountain). Pretty much just Carl's mountain.

Ha, I feel you. The victory over Denmark gave Prussia (and Austria) a big boost in confidence, and we all know where that eventually got us...

Anyway, I hear very good things about the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen. My wife went to a conference there a couple of years ago. I'll have to visit sometime soon!

How dope is this? 😁

Carlsberg-Factory-and-Museum-Scandianvia-Standard--624x390.jpg

Reply 110 of 739, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jalapeno cheddar sausage BBQ sandwiches. It sounds ridiculous, but it's really good.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 111 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote:
Ha, I feel you. The victory over Denmark gave Prussia (and Austria) a big boost in confidence, and we all know where that eventu […]
Show full quote

Ha, I feel you. The victory over Denmark gave Prussia (and Austria) a big boost in confidence, and we all know where that eventually got us...

Anyway, I hear very good things about the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen. My wife went to a conference there a couple of years ago. I'll have to visit sometime soon!

How dope is this? 😁

Carlsberg-Factory-and-Museum-Scandianvia-Standard--624x390.jpg

Yup.... It is a sight for sore eyes. And it was the founders personal home too. Home and brewery. 😁
Anyway. Carl grew up and became an avid art's collector. Like really an hardcore collector (who here does not know what that is like?)
And when the home became too small, he simply donated most of it to the Danish people.

You can visit the museum here and on Tuesday's it is free to enter.
In the middle of the building, there is an palm garden, and on hot summer days, it is kind of the best place in all of Copenhagen.

Don't mind what brought Germans and Austrian's were they are now. The important thing is that you went through the same
beatings as we did. Makes a whole nation wonder and soulsearch it's culture. Kind of like: "Thanks for a good fight, now lets share a beer" 😉

EDIT:
For breakfast I had one of these. They came to Denmark with the arrival of bakers from vienna. Hence the name "Wienerbrød" (Vienna bread). It was a well guarded secret, yet when the bakers went on strike at some point, then the Danish bakers copied the pastry, and refined it to something even better.

Reply 112 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, my American mother-in-law is crazy about "danishes". Funny to hear you have them for breakfast, because to me "Plunder" is more of an afternoon cake-and-coffee type thing!

Had some pretty good Spanish Tortilla (made from leftover Patatas Bravas with chorizo) and a chopped veg salad of cucumber, bell pepper and tomatoes.

Reply 113 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Summer is almost here. Getting HOT in America south-west desert.

Starbucks ice coffee and plain cake donut for breakfast.

Attachments

Reply 115 of 739, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Still munching on leftoeuvre human remains and rotted flesh.

Lol how delicious - I’d take that over the Starbucks mentioned above anyway.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 116 of 739, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Summer is almost here. Getting HOT in America south-west desert.

Starbucks ice coffee and plain cake donut for breakfast.

Ah yes, the breakfast of champions [sarcasm]! 🤣 No offense, it's actually kind of delicious.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 117 of 739, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was one kilogram of meatballs. I repeat, one kilogram of meatballs. My wife and daughter promised to help me finishing it up, but apparently they made a promise they couldn't keep, so I was on my own.

family-dinner-02.jpg
Whoah.

Anyway, the restaurant's name is Jumbo Eatery at Jalan Riau (Jl. RE Martadinata), Bandung. Evi is 36 weeks pregnant, and we just visited the gynecologist at Limijati Hospital. The restaurant is just across the street so we decided to give it a try. Turned out the food is all about quantity instead of quality. Next time we'd stick to the good old Braga Permai, thank you very much.

family-dinner-01.jpg
Family dinner after visiting gynecologist.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 118 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing special. Just something pasta and meat in a sauce, with some salad and then a big glass of American style sweet apple cider. The spaghetti stuff is halfway cheating. Just cook some minced beef, add the sauce-powder, add milk and water and then the pasta. Finish by baking it for 30 minutes in the oven.

Dinner-01.jpg
Filename
Dinner-01.jpg
File size
498.59 KiB
Views
File license
Dinner-02.jpg
Filename
Dinner-02.jpg
File size
419.36 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 119 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Next time we'd stick to the good old Braga Permai, thank you very much.

Looks like a really good place to eat. I see they serve "Poffertjes". We have those here in Denmark as well. Here we serve them with all sorts of sweet stuff, like jam or powdered white sugar. They are considered an X-Mas treat by the way, so we only eat them during all of December, starting with the 4'th last sunday before the 24'th of December and to around the 27'th of December. There is a town in America, that are founded by Danish emigrants, going some 200 years or so. They still eat them, yet for breakfast and with a special sausage called "Medister". They have as far as I remember, stopped using pork for the old Danish recepies, because you know, America is the place that people eat beef. Really strange to see....

Anyway...
Poffertjes, were traditionally flat, and were nothing but a slice of fresh Apple, dipped in a kind of batter and then fried. That is why it is named "Æbleskiver". Translated roughly to Apple-slices. During some 300 years, they have evolved to that round cake. From Wikipedia And speaking of old X-Mas treat's. Then there are "Klejner" that we have made in Denmark since mideval times. Actually the oldest cookie/cake that we have. And it is AWESOMME. Normally cooked in pig-fat or coconut palm oil. Yet they taste best, if you cook them in sunflower oil. And please do not skip on the lemon peel, when you make the dough. 😜