VOGONS

Kiloblaster.bat

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Shalmendo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running Dosbox 0.74 and am attempting to run KiloBlaster but the kilo.bat file keeps quitting out with the message "illeagal command: kfilea"

I looked into the bat and found the following:

@echo off
cls
kfilea %1 %2 %3

:Very important -- do not modify or remove this file,
:it is VITAL to starting the game properly.

The files are from a downloaded zip, and I checked several different zips from different sources to make sure I wasn't missing a file or anything, but they're all identical. The dosbox compatibility page claims full support under 0.73 (which I tried as well, with the same results). I have been able to run many other games successfully so I don't know what the deal is. I haven't heavily modified my config, except to try and add gravis support. I will gladly post my entire config here if necessary.

Is there some alternative trick to getting it to run? It looks like it's trying to use a streamed means of running all the .exes one after the other (They're all there) but the method it's using is tripping DosBox up. I've tried searching everywhere for this particular problem but I haven't found anything particularly useful.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be clear, there is a file named KFILEA.EXE (or KFILEA.COM) in the same directory as kilo.bat, right?

If as you say it's a .bat file problem, then one likely solution is to download 4DOS (a COMMAND.COM alternative) and run that in DOSBox before trying to run the .bat file.

It's also possible that whatever the problem is, it's been fixed in SVN; in that case you should try the SVN Daum version. (0.74 is kind of old at this point.)

Of course, that leaves the question of why someone reported "full support" in the compatibility page, but I've never put much stock in that.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now hold on a second; let's not jump to conclusions. Isn't it genuinely, legitimately, the-former-rights-holders-have-come-out-and-said-it-explicitly-and-it's-not-just-wishful-thinking freeware?
http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Kiloblaster.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiloblaster

Reply 4 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never mind, then. I retract it. It is just that so many come here asking for help with "abandonware". I usually check before accusing, but far more often than not it is not something that has been legitimately freewared.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 7, by Nitwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found it!
Create kfilea.bat yourself with the following contents:

@echo off
kfile0
if not errorlevel 1 kfileb %1 %2 %3

This will allow you to run kilo.bat to load the game selection menu as originally intended, as long as kfilea.bat is in the same folder.

You're welcome.