Reply 20 of 32, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:
canthearu wrote:

You could use either a 27C or a 28C, as the pinout and reading signaling are the same. The only real difference will be with the programming, which you can do in your eeprom programmer.

Nope, the pinout is different. Be careful!

Please explain. In what way is it different, for a reading only application?

Pin1 and Pin27 are different.

For 27C, the Pin1 is Vpp and Pin27 is A14.
For 28C, the Pin1 is A14 and Pin27 is WE.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 21 of 32, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

Pin1 and Pin27 are different.

For 27C, the Pin1 is Vpp and Pin27 is A14.
For 28C, the Pin1 is A14 and Pin27 is WE.

You are right it seems, I was comparing 27C64 and 28C64, not 27C256 and 28C256, the 8kb ROMs are interchangable, the 32kb ones are not it seems.

Reply 22 of 32, by twitch86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mhhh okay - so the xtidecfg.com needs to be run on a DOS System...
i only have the 28C256 EEPROMS on hand my 64k EPROMS wont work anymore...

Does the Interrupt and the port Adress matter? These can be switches via jumper. i used 300h (C800h) which means all jumpers closed

Reply 23 of 32, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For XTIDE, interrupt and port don't matter on the network card. Just as long as they don't interfere with other stuff on the system (eg, disable COM2 and use IRQ 3 for the network card, I/O port 0x300 should be fine)

You should be able to use Dosbox to run the xtidecfg.com program (thats what I do on my windows 10 box which does the flash programming).

Just program the default primary IDE ports (0x1F0 base, 0x3F0 control, 14 IRQ), 1 IDE controller, and to steal 1KB of conventional memory. That should be enough to get the XTIDE rom ready for flashing.

Reply 25 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twitch86 wrote:

I did run it in dosbox - not sure if he uses the info on the EEPROM type if you save it to back to the file. should i set eeprom adress to c800 ?

Hi! I did a few videos about XTIDE Universal BIOS in the past. From what I remember, opening the BIOS and saving it in the config program is enough to get it going.
The rest (ie, loading address. can be chosen in the LAN utility. The XT-IDE utility only needs to know the loading address if a real XT-IDE card is being used.
- I don't think XTIDE Universal BIOS tries to re-allocate itself in the UMA, IMHO. Without free UMBs, it can't after all.

Edit: Not sure if this helpful, but you also can try one of my tested XTIDE backups.
Re: IDE disk-on-module + 386

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 32, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

I can confirm that EZDrive also worked in my 386SX but compared to XT-IDE BIOS it's a nuisance.

Why is it a nuisance? It just works. No mucking around getting EPROMS and EPROM burners, Don't need a nic.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 27 of 32, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

The XT-IDE utility only needs to know the loading address if a real XT-IDE card is being used.

And this is only because it needs to know where the Flash chip is sitting in memory to write the updated BIOS to the chip on the XT-IDE cards.

Otherwise XT-IDE is segment agnostic, it doesn't care where you place the ROM in memory. Don't forget to enable RAM shadowing for the region you place the ROM in.

Reply 28 of 32, by twitch86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could not manage to get my XTIDE working BUT! i bought a set from ebay

The XTIDE network card i bought stars at booting flawless! with the set came a VLB I/O controller and now everything works! no need for XTIDE bc now the ontrack works fine
it seems to be a faulty or IDE Controller or a wrong setup

Reply 29 of 32, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twitch86 wrote:

ontrack works fine

EzDrive uses less memory out of the box (10kB vs 5kB) and when loading ezmem.sys in config.sys file, it frees up all the conv. memory. (Not aware of something similar for OnTrack)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 30 of 32, by twitch86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes EZ also works now (it did only detect 1gb with my old controller)

one more problem now - how can i access the other partitions of my CF Card? with a card reader i can only see the first DOS Partition?

Reply 31 of 32, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure you can. At least i haven't figured that out yet myself either...

Reply 32 of 32, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many partitions and how are they formatted? If fAt16 should be just a mater of typing d: or e: or what ever the drive letter is then press enter.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉