VOGONS

Reply 140 of 555, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An alternative might be to use threaded jacks and pots, so you can hold the bracket on with those, and no need for 'ears' to screw it onto the PCB.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 141 of 555, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Friendly suggestion: Think about the stresses applied to a card when fastened to the case. I dunno about you guys, but I have a couple of cases where the motherboard / slot fit is uh.. somewhat less than precise. It's probably worth trying to accommodate some compliance into the mechanical mount. Those PITA bracket ears are rigid, but do still offer SOME leeway for the bracket to fit independent of the card. I would really hesitate to use anything soldered to the PCB, as they will bear the brunt of the opposing force if the bracket is not aligned well with the slot. The nylon mounts look OK, but probably won't "give" much.

Now, I've distributed a whopping zero products to the market, so grain of salt and all that. Just some food for thought. If it were my project, I would probably pony up for a well-made bracket with good through-PCB screw mounts, even if it costs more than the PCB to manufacture -- but that's me. I know these things add up quickly.

Reply 142 of 555, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, there are several projects already that need brackets. Why not consolidate the demand and make a "golden standard" VOGONS universal bracket to rule them all?..

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 143 of 555, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that would be hard to do. Cards will likely be very different (short of redesigning for a standard back plane), although perhaps a bracket making document would be useful with information for parts and manufacturing.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 145 of 555, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SnarkBarker also still needs a bracket. Maybe we can find a company that can make both? 😀 And what about the ArGUS?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 146 of 555, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For my Adlib and Snarkbarker I'm getting a couple of these brackets 3D Printer, I will then cut and drill into it with a dremel..

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2105827

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 147 of 555, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But nothing can compare to a good old regular metal bracket... all those 3d printed or PCB-made substitutes are just not true!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 148 of 555, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those "ears" are the most expensive feature to add to a bracket - IMHO unless someone can produce them at a friend's machinery the cost is prohibitive.
The ARGUS approach is also good IMHO -> make the pcb arrangement compatible with the vibra16 cheap cards so you can buy a random eBay card and steal the bracket.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 149 of 555, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LABS wrote:

Today I received a first batch of PCBs for the kits in ENIG finish!

Nice! 😎

LABS wrote:

The hardest part was (of cause) making the metal brackets. It took about a month to find a proper solution, because the factory I was hoping for at first, made a sample which was unacceptable. They cut the form somehow ok, but were unable to bend it well. The drilling is in progress right now and the brackets will be ready in 2 days 😀

I probably can make an example brackets for you from FR4 if you'll give me hole positions/sizes. It probably will require some modifications for card, but probably it can be done for the next batch (if there will be any?).
Like this:

IMG_8355.jpg
Filename
IMG_8355.jpg
File size
361.43 KiB
Views
File comment
DuoSID brackets
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It holds up pretty well, can provide some flex, conducts to the case like metal one and can be made any in color (from PCB color palette). And it is not expensive.

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 150 of 555, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks very good 😉

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 151 of 555, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

I am totally for a SB2.0 clone at this stage. Keep it simple. Learn from this project, and maybe you can later make a SBPro clone. But with SB2.0 compatibility you will already be able to play virtually all games that support AdLib or SoundBlaster. It is just a matter of fidelity (stereo / 16Bit if going for SB16 compatibilitz) and OPL3 support, which is not even supported by many games.

Isn't that basically SnarkBarker?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 152 of 555, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
root42 wrote:

I am totally for a SB2.0 clone at this stage. Keep it simple. Learn from this project, and maybe you can later make a SBPro clone. But with SB2.0 compatibility you will already be able to play virtually all games that support AdLib or SoundBlaster. It is just a matter of fidelity (stereo / 16Bit if going for SB16 compatibilitz) and OPL3 support, which is not even supported by many games.

Isn't that basically SnarkBarker?

Goodness! This quote is a year old! 😀 by now, yes. The Snark Barker is one option. A very nice one. But I will definitely also build the Blasterboard! 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 153 of 555, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also wouldn't even dare to name the SnarkBarker together with the Blasterboard in terms of its design goal... as much as the SnarkBarker is a very fun thing (and I am very happy with it), the 1:1 clone of the SB also did clone a rather nice noise floor 😁 I'm betting this card is gonna be a world of difference in that aspect, which is why I'm so highly interested in it, too 😀

Reply 154 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally the brackets are ready and I'm very pleased with the result.

IMG_0711.JPG
Filename
IMG_0711.JPG
File size
472.16 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0712.JPG
Filename
IMG_0712.JPG
File size
326.23 KiB
Views
File license

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 155 of 555, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome work! Considering how much time it took to drill and fit a bracket to the SnarkBarker, this is surely gonna be a heaven to put together! 😀

Just a side note, without any real intent to change anything anymore: I just recently found that e.g. Mouser does offer Keystone Brackets with ears, like e.g. the 9202 - it might not fit this version of the PCB, but maybe it could be adapted to fit a future version (if planned). Means it would then maybe just need the remaining drill holes and no fasteners.

Reply 156 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MJay99 wrote:

Awesome work! Considering how much time it took to drill and fit a bracket to the SnarkBarker, this is surely gonna be a heaven to put together! 😀

Indeed! The guy who drilled them made an awesome work. And these holders are dead-strong. I was sceptical at first and thought they will give the plastic feel, but they actually do not. The bracket sits firmly to the board, just like with 😳 "THE EARS" 😳

Fagear, how do the parts hold together? Glue? I like that the outputs are signed, I really miss it in bb.

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 158 of 555, by DosWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Is it possible to bay assembled board ?

CPU: Amd K6/450, RAM: 256M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: EWS64XXL/64M
CPU: iP/100, RAM: 16M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: SB AWE32
IBM Aptiva, CPU i486DX/80, RAM: 96M
Compaq Contura 4/25 2820D, CPU: i486SX/25, RAM: 4M, VGA.
HP 200LX/2M

Reply 159 of 555, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LABS wrote:

Fagear, how do the parts hold together? Glue? I like that the outputs are signed, I really miss it in bb.

Parts are held by fiberglass ledges and solder.

2019-06-21 23.11.39.jpg
Filename
2019-06-21 23.11.39.jpg
File size
530.17 KiB
Views
File comment
Parts are held together by fiberglass and solder
File license

Assembled bracket is attached to the main board either by nuts on connectors (like with metal brackets) or by the same fiberglass ledges and solder.

2019-06-21 23.10.45.jpg
Filename
2019-06-21 23.10.45.jpg
File size
473.44 KiB
Views
File comment
FR4 bracket: held by nuts
File license
2019-06-21 23.11.04.jpg
Filename
2019-06-21 23.11.04.jpg
File size
972.87 KiB
Views
File comment
FR4 bracket: held by fiberglass and solder
File license
2019-06-21 23.11.50.jpg
Filename
2019-06-21 23.11.50.jpg
File size
560.71 KiB
Views
File comment
Mounting points
File license

That's why I told you about some modifications to your "main board". Since there are no connectors with nuts, you have to reserve a little space for large solder pad and add a ledges to the outline of the board.

2019-06-21 23.22.18.jpg
Filename
2019-06-21 23.22.18.jpg
File size
88.28 KiB
Views
File comment
Fiberglass ledge and solder pad
File license

The most physical stress goes into fiberglass ledges, those prevent bracket from sliding away from the board when inserted and pulled out. The same goes for inter-parts connection - fiberglass ledges keep top small piece from been torn away while applying tension to the bracket when installed.
You can screw in the whole assembly into PC case and it will hold the board in slot even without solder at all. But it will fall apart without solder when not inserted.

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.