VOGONS

USB Mass Storage Windows 95 Issues

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you weren't able to install the flash update just by itself - before plugging in a thumb drive? Somehow I think that's where the issue is.

Also did you experiment with disabling USB in BIOS? I had one machine that needed it disabled to run USB properly.

And re USB2, I tried a ton of USB2 cards but never got one to run under W95. It was never native but I gace it the old college try.

Reply 21 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

So you weren't able to install the flash update just by itself - before plugging in a thumb drive? Somehow I think that's where the issue is.

Also did you experiment with disabling USB in BIOS? I had one machine that needed it disabled to run USB properly.

And re USB2, I tried a ton of USB2 cards but never got one to run under W95. It was never native but I gace it the old college try.

Oh, that I did not try. The USB flash update is basically four files, including two INF files. Just right click and click install on both, then? Also, the only USB option in the BIOS is USB Legacy Emulation, which is disabled by default.

Reply 22 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed the INF files and I still can't get it to find the drivers. I can't find the drivers when looking through a list. Enabling USB Legacy, didn't help.

For this person, doing the exact same process as me worked instantly:
https://youtu.be/-TcBoGjJcq0?t=5m18s

Reply 23 of 30, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go to safe mode, device manager and delete all USB related devices (controllers, hubs, any unknown devices), restart, let all devices reinstall and then plug in your USB things.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 24 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

Go to safe mode, device manager and delete all USB related devices (controllers, hubs, any unknown devices), restart, let all devices reinstall and then plug in your USB things.

Yes - a good idea to thoroughly clean out your USB drivers via Dev Mgr at this point. However you still need to do the 3-step install as W95 will not completely or correctly re-install the necessary USB drivers.

Reply 25 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried all that. Still getting the "the selected location does not contain a driver for your device" error...

I don't understand. I got it working in DOS mode using DOS specific drivers (it's limited to 121mb FAT16 and is less convenient), so why is Windows just refusing to detect the mass storage driver files as valid?

Reply 26 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, but W95 and USB can be peculiar partners. Sound like a fresh OS install is in order... at least W95 goes in pretty quick.

If you have imaging software (like Acronis True Image 8 which works great under W95 off a CD) you can make incremental images for easy roll backs. Acronis is the first program I install after the OS is up and registered, then make progressive images as Dx and other driver packages are installed. Works best/fastest and most efficiently if you install data and games on a non-C drive - and store your images off C as well - keeps C lean and mean. It takes just a few minutes to return to a squeeky clean fresh install (or an intermediate install you know is stable) and takes all the dread out of aggressive system tweaking - doesn't matter how FUBARed you get!

Reply 27 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, I tried reinstalling Windows 95 numerous times before making this thread and had the same issue every time. Is my particular version an issue? I wouldn't think so...

So, I'm at a loss at this point. Guess I'm stuck with using that DOS driver for now. The only solution I can think of for getting it working in Windows itself is using Windows 98, which performs far worse on here. Windows 95 is working great other than this huge annoyance, at least.

Reply 30 of 30, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Must be this order. Option 1

1. USBUPP < USB suplement osr 2.1
2. USBUPP2 < OSR2.5 update
3. Restart computer
4. Install chip set drivers for (this is your intel infinst or your VIA 4-1 3-1 whatever VIA calls it
5. restart computer
6. Additional Mother board specific USB drivers if you have them. This is like. VIA USB Filter Driver v 1.08 , ALi USB Supplement for Win95, USB 670 Chipset Driver
7. USB Shutdown Fix e7kusb9p.exe
8. Unofficial Windows 95B/95C OSR 2.x USB Service Update QFE (USBQFE)
9. USBSTR95.EXE beta adds support for most insteranl external usb drives.

Option 2 use 98se since it doesn't have such as bad USB support.