VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This month I built a P233MMX system to act as a 136 in 1 Windows 95 & DOS PC similar to that built on PhilsComputerLab. It works great with newer games, but I'm having trouble with Setmul for older DOS games.

Setmul can enable and disable the L1 cache and BPD, VPD, etc. It shows that it can disable the L2 cache. However, when I try to disable the L2 cache nothing happens. I don't have this problem on my other Socket 7 motherboard with an OptiViper chipset, so this makes we wonder if there is some issue with setmul and the 430TX in my newly built system.

Further, even when I disable L1 cache and all the BPD, VPD, etc. options, the system still seems to run too fast. Falcon 3.0, for instance, exhibits the annoying "sound faster than animation" overspeed bug on this system unless I turn of the L2 cache in BIOS and disable the L1 cache with setmul. I know for a fact that Falcon 3.0 runs just fine on a Pentium 100 with nothing disabled and will run just fine on a Pentium 200 with L1 cache disabled. What makes the 233MMX so different in these cache disabled situations?

Reply 1 of 1, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

L2 cache is not on the CPU and in many Socket 7 boards cache amount can only be set by jumpers not through BIOS or other CPU registers. In these cases the L2 cache switches are useless. If you use a CPU with onboard L2 cache such as the K6-22+ on these boards the L2 commands will disable the L2 cache but then you'll still have L3 cache in the form of motherboard cache.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.