VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like computer stores are going to stop carrying CD-R disks.
Our local large computer stores no longer carry them.
Do car and stereo manufacturers still sell radios with built in CD players ?

Reply 1 of 10, by WinSxS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I bought box with 50pcs w/o any problems. Of course, in Poland.
And yes, we can still buy players (brand new in store) with CD here.

Bad english? Don't mind, i'm still learning
Main PC: CLICK
Retro PC: CLICK

Reply 2 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They have been on a slow yet steady decline, since the early 2010's. Like 2011/12/13 or something like that, when Apple began to sell Mac's without optical drive. The same happened with Floppy disk drives. So load up on them CD's while you still can.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CD-R reliability is pretty poor in my experience. Practically all of the CDs I burned in the last decade wound up having errors. DVD-Rs are much more reliable. BD-Rs appear to be best of all, though it's still too soon to be sure.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only way I can see CD-R going away is if flash drives with physical write-protect was more prevalent.

Most operating systems by default allow full read-write access to USB devices and although the OS can in some cases be configured to modify access you usually have to use a 3rd party program for more granular control.

Air-Gapped and classified networks will need CD-Rs although I guess you could always waste a 4GB DVD with a 100mb file since in most cases people don't remember to buy DVD-RW.

Picked up a spindle of CD and DVDs at Walmart last week for my Athlon XP. Doesn't support USB boot and Plop not cooperating with my iodd.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 10, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Availability of CD-R is fine... But I was looking lately on quality miniDVDs and that market is pretty much non existent. Bought last 10pcs spindle of Sony miniDVDs in country and that's pretty much it, only some MediaRange are still available, but I didn't heard much good about it. And pretty much the same applies to floppy's as well...

Last edited by Srandista on 2019-07-22, 07:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 6 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

CD-R reliability is pretty poor in my experience.

Not if you burned on Kodak Gold discs.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 10, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CD-Rs are starting to vanish in my area, but oddly enough not CD-RWs (well to each their own I guess)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 9 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two extended family members recently bought new vehicles -- mid-high range trucks from different makers. One did not have a CD player at all. The other did, but it actually included an icon to inform you which way is up when inserting the disc, so apparently they don't expect you to remember how to use it.

Reply 10 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
Errius wrote:

CD-R reliability is pretty poor in my experience.

Not if you burned on Kodak Gold discs.

Those were good days 😀