VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to use onboard video in a Magnavox HeadStart SX (with 16mhz 386) I have color on Win3.1 splash screen, but in Windows it's greyscale. The Bios is set to VGA. When I got the machine the HDD had Windows 3.1 on it and it loaded in color. I did a fresh install and now this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wrong display driver in Windows 3.1? Start setup and change the driver to something that says it uses color. If the options are not available, you might need to find the driver for your graphics card.

Reply 2 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Yes and Since it's the 386SX model, running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 may also be an option.
It has an additional 256c SVGA driver that works with most video cards of its time.
(There are also pactched versions for virtual hardware floating around the net.)

However, running plain 3.1 is also fine (though WfW 3.11 has some nice extras such as an HDD cache).
There was an patch/update released by microsoft, which contained the same SVGA driver (forgot KB number).

See
http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches … SVGAUpdate.html
http://win31.de/edrivers.htm

http://www.conradshome.com/win31/
http://www.scampers.org/steve/vmware/

That being said. using the "native" graphics driver would be even better.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what on-board VGA the PC has got (maybe using MSD reveals a hint).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a package called vgadoc4 that contained many docs about VGAs, but it also contained a program that could identify which VGA chipset use your computer.

Maybe you should try it and get a compatible driver for your VGA.

(OTOH, I had a Trident VGA that sometimes detected my monitor as monochrome and worked in b&w until next reboot... perhaps there is a program or item in a .ini fileto tell your card that it should work in color)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good idea, yes. Another thing that comes to mind - is Windows 3.1 really black-white or grayscale ?
If it's grayscale, there's a chance the problem is related to the monitor or more precisely, the VGA port (Pin 12 aka ID1, monochrome monitor sense).
IBM PS/2 8503 Monochrome VGA Monitor Help - Pinout

Edit: The reason for different behaviour (colour/graysacle) could be because one piece of software uses VGA BIOS,
whereas the other one simply accesses the VGA core directly..

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TimWolf wrote:

Isn't there some way to add a like to the autoexec.bat to turn the color back on?

Why don't you just try a different VGA driver? It's really not difficult to change, and as long as you use the generic drivers not much can go wrong as long as you don't exceed your card's capabilities.

Short instructions from my WfW manual:
1) In Windows, choose System Setup icon.
2) Options menu, Change System settings.
3) Change the driver.

Also, before that, check whether by accident you're not using a monochrome color scheme for Windows.

Reply 7 of 14, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a color monitor! 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, may I ask what type of monitor you're using ? 😀

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 14, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

For testing purposes and portability a Dell 4:3 LCD. I did have full color from the install that was still working on the PC when I got it. It was only after re-installing that I lost the color. I didn't consider backing up the MAGNAVOX folder (Doh!) before formatting and redoing a clean install. It had a businesses financial information, payroll etc, and I wanted to destroy the data.

Reply 12 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TimWolf wrote:
For testing purposes and portability a Dell 4:3 LCD. I did have full color from the install that was still working on the PC whe […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote:

For testing purposes and portability a Dell 4:3 LCD. I did have full color from the install that was still working on the PC when I got it.
It was only after re-installing that I lost the color. I didn't consider backing up the MAGNAVOX folder (Doh!) before formatting and redoing a clean install.
It had a businesses financial information, payroll etc, and I wanted to destroy the data.

Okay, I see. So the Windows standard VGA driver isn't working. Did you also try "VGA (Version 3)" already ?
If that doesn't work either, there's a driver package for this computer series at a page called vetursware, I believe..
Maybe it contains what you need (since I don't know what on-board VGA is installed, I can't give any better tips yet).

If that still doesn't work, you could also try to remove the pin on the VGA cable that goes to VGA pin 12.
But if the cable is "hardwired" to the monitor, please use an extension cable or make an 1:1 adapter (carrying R,G,B, GND, H, V).
Because on a Monochrome VGA monitor, that pin is connected to ground, which turns on grayscale mode (for programs using VGA BIOS to draw graphics).
On a modern LCD, this pin is repurposed for Serial Data (used by DDC), so the old VGA card could get confused by the state of this pin, tbus enabling grayscale mode by accident.

Edit: Minor edit (typo fixed).

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-07-22, 19:21. Edited 1 time in total.

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I said, get vgadoc4b.zip and run whatvga.exe. Are you using the right drivers for that chipset?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!