Reply 12400 of 27168, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote:
liqmat wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

Not sure how I didn't know an Ensoniq-branded Voodoo card existed. Cool!

A few of those turned up in the Pentium Pro haul as well.

ensoniq_banshee.jpg

What I find intriguing are the green stickers on the memory chips. Yours seems to have one, mine has two.

Any idea what the meaning of the green stickers might be?

Have no clue. I can't check the other cards either because I sold them off cheap to other Vogons members.

Reply 12401 of 27168, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Have no clue. I can't check the other cards either because I sold them off cheap to other Vogons members.

Actually, it's probably just a QA thing. Mine just got two stickers instead of one...

Reply 12402 of 27168, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Come to think of it, I may recall seeing retail boxes with "Creative" logos all over them and disks and manuals, but the actual PCB branded Ensoniq. Within a few years of Ensoniq's purchase by Creative. That's probably it.

Must have been something like this. This is a PCI version though. Seems that Creative churned out a whole bunch of different "3D Blasters" in the late 90's...

creative_banshee_pci_03.JPG

Reply 12403 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I spent the weekend thoroughly cleaning and fixing two AT cases I recently bought. They were in terrible shape but look servicable now.

D3-CEF850-2-E4-C-45-C1-86-F7-552-AC292-F74-B.jpg

The one on the right will replace the current case my 386 resides in. Not sure what to do with the one on the left and the one I currently use.

386-SX-25-Case-01.jpg

I also cleaned two AT PSUs but one of them has a weird gunk all over the PCB I cant seem to get rid of. What could this be?

475206-AE-2700-4580-A015-B888-F6581-FFD.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12404 of 27168, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also cleaned two AT PSUs but one of them has a weird gunk all over the PCB I cant seem to get rid of. What could this be?

That's glue to hold the bigger caps in place. No idea why it is such a mess, though.

Reply 12405 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

That's glue to hold the bigger caps in place. No idea why it is such a mess, though.

Weirdest glue use I've ever seen.

I've really been busy with retro stuff this weekend, way more than I should be to be honest. Anyway, I finally got around to giving my AdLib clone a bracket:

Tube-Time-Ad-Lib-Bracket.jpg

Not bad, I think:

Tube-Time-Ad-Lib-Clone.jpg

Reply 12407 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Good luck trying to change volume. 😁

Yeah, it's not the correct size pot, those are hard to come by locally and importing from Mouser was financially not an option. I CAN change the volume by sticking a flathead screwdriver in there, though I'd probably just keep it at MAX and change the volume on the mixer/amp/speaker etc 😀

Still better than no bracket. 😁

Reply 12409 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, where did you source the metal backplate? I'll have to find the correct pot some day, that looks sweet.

Reply 12410 of 27168, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
I spent the weekend thoroughly cleaning and fixing two AT cases I recently bought. They were in terrible shape but look servicab […]
Show full quote

I spent the weekend thoroughly cleaning and fixing two AT cases I recently bought. They were in terrible shape but look servicable now.

D3-CEF850-2-E4-C-45-C1-86-F7-552-AC292-F74-B.jpg

The one on the right will replace the current case my 386 resides in. Not sure what to do with the one on the left and the one I currently use.

386-SX-25-Case-01.jpg

475206-AE-2700-4580-A015-B888-F6581-FFD.jpg

Someone asked about that AT case with the green triangle power button a while back. Do you know what model it is and the manufacture ?

Reply 12411 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Someone asked about that AT case with the green triangle power button a while back. Do you know what model it is and the manufacture ?

No markings on the case whatsoever, it is as generic as they come.

Reply 12413 of 27168, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Sony CPD-100ES trinitron monitor that I've been using with my main old computer setup has been making a very worrying buzzing sound when it turned off and went into standby. It's been unplugged for a few weeks now but the 19" LCD I've been using in its place just isn't right for aspect ratios etc.

Today I had a go at cleaning it. To do that, I took the monitor apart - just removing the outer casing and taking off the plastic that protects the monitor's main PCB, then carefully brushed dust off and used some compressed air & a blower bulb to dislodge any dust stuck in the transformers. As I was putting it back together, I noticed a black relay shaped object near to the mains plug - blew some air into that.

With the monitor put back together, the monitor doesn't make that worrying noise when going into standby now - which I think was the relay operating too slowly / bridging somehow.

I've also been cleaning up battery damage & trying to figure out this completely unknown 386DX40 motherboard, which appears to be the earlier revision of Keropi's board. Very helpfully, there's a jumper (JP4) to switch the battery from ni-cd (charging) to lithium mode. Pretty odd though, the board actually arrived with the jumper set for lithium mode, so it wouldn't have charged? I've checked with a multimeter, moving the jumper makes the voltage with no battery connected go from 0v to 5v, so it's definitely working as expected and shouldn't result in an explody battery.

opti495slc-lithiumbattery2.jpg
Filename
opti495slc-lithiumbattery2.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There was some corrosion hiding under the BIOS chip on one of the diodes, but not one trace damaged, on the outer layers.

Also for some reason, the TFX power supply I was using for this machine let smoke out when I turned it on. It's still working, seems to give the correct voltages and I can't find what let the smoke out, could that be a filter cap?

Reply 12414 of 27168, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Moved my VA-503+ Windows 95 system to a nos case today.

Attachments

• 20190728_202138-1.jpg
    Filename
    20190728_202138-1.jpg
    File size
    634.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 12416 of 27168, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
detritus olentus wrote:

Not sure if you noticed, but it has some damage on the lower edge near the middle. The plastic is broken there.

Reply 12417 of 27168, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
detritus olentus wrote:

Not sure if you noticed, but it has some damage on the lower edge near the middle. The plastic is broken there.

Ya unfortunately, I repaired it from the inside with a soldering iron when I got it.

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 12418 of 27168, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Repaired a Gigabyte GA-8i945PL-G board to put my Cedar Mill 631 into. Should make a nice P4/DDR2 machine. Basic RAID support (IT8212/GigaRAID chip), Gigabit LAN.
Next up for repair is a Geforce 6600GT 128MB that has 2 missing resistors (broken off) on the PCI-E connector. It's a Palit card flashed with a Winfast BIOS for 6600GT.

EDIT: Fixed the 6600GT as well, POST'd on two different boards - the aforementioned 8i945PL-G and a MSI G41T-P26.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB