VOGONS

First post, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted this in another thread but didnt get any responses and i figure it was probably not the right place for it. I've also since done some additional testing.

I've been trying to get my 486/MT32 build up and running and i'm having some issues. Hopefully someone can give me some pointers.

The PC is a Dell Dimension 466 with an Evergreen AMD 133 fitted, CT2770 SB16 and an ESS1868

So the starting point was Monkey Island 1 & 2, ideally with the MT32+Adlib mod. With the soundblaster installed. Both games worked correctly in adlib mode as a starting point.

Monkey 1, when set to Roland mode, just emitted nonsense from the MT32, random notes and instruments, nothing like a coherent tune.

Monkey 2 worked fine in Roland mode.

Trying the patches for dual audio, Monkey 1 was consistent, the MT32 continued to play garbage, but the sound effects worked thru the soundblaster.

Monkey2 however became unplayably slow once patched, it worked, in that music was indeed played from the MT32, but it was about 10-20times slower than it should be, to the point i thought it had locked up on the starting screen such was the length of the first note.

Today i swapped the SB16 out for an ESS1868. Which changed things somewhat.

Now Monkey1 in Roland mode does play a tune, but it still has the odd bum note or incorrect instrument and just sounds off.

Monkey2 however works perfectly. The slowdown is gone and it happily does MT-32 and Adlib together.

I also tried the Ultimate Talkie build of Monkey1, which uses the later iMUSE system and later interpreter. After a bit of fiddling around with that, i managed to get it working and playing both MT32 music and speech/SFX, actually without any patching at all. Like the later games once you set it Roland it just works 😀

Tried some other games as well....

DoTT does MT32+Soundblaster right out the box without any issues so thats great!

Loom with MT32 patch seems to work, but again like monkey 1, its not right, instruments are odd and notes are weird.

As a quick test, i also swapped in an Aztech AZT2320 based card, and tried things again

The AZT2320 acts more like the SB16 with respects of the midi output in Monkey1, complete nonsense rather than almost a tune.

So i guess the question is, why the weird slowdown with the soundblaster card, and why the properly strange MT32 audio on the older games Monkey1 and Loom?

I'm going to upload a quick video of the wonky theme music shortly, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was recorded with the AZT2320 fitted, but the SB16 sounded basically the same (also note the music takes ages to actually start playing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_miQ7e7qtkU&feature=youtu.be

This was recorded with the ESS1868 fitted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u-pUtJDzs&feature=youtu.be

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, did you try SoftMPU ? Also, perhaps your PC is too fast for Monkey Island (you may want to disable caches).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not try SoftMPU. Theres no mention i can find the SoMI or Loom requires SoftMPU for their MT32 music. As i understand it, its only required for certain titles which use "intelligent mode".

Perhaps the machine is too fast i guess! Its a bit of a weird machine BIOS wise with not much by way of options. There is a bios setting to switch from "full speed" to "compatible" which i tried, but the machine just ran super slowly and i got no sound at all. Though i dont recall which sound card i tested that setting with.

Reply 4 of 4, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fired up SoftMPU this morning and both Monkey1 and Loom work perfectly with that running.

I'm not sure the games are actually requiring Intelligent mode, but i guess SoftMPU is fixing whatever weirdness is going on otherwise, so thats good!