VOGONS

First post, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
is there any tool on dos which helps finding addr, irq, dma conflicts with hw plugged?
or a tool which detects addr, irq, dma for given card in given slot?

Reply 1 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try finding the manual
amybe msd (microsoft diagnostics), norton system doctor (i think )
or look in the bios see what things you can reserve

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 12, by gotohell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retropol wrote:

this is the problem, i dont have manuals to this cards, only see jumpers with no desc on the board

What a card?

https://t.me/hwretard

Reply 4 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retropol wrote:

is there any tool on dos which helps finding addr, irq, dma conflicts with hw plugged?

There is some such software, see eg. Checkit - it does detect such things, but only for the most basic hardware.
For other cards, there may be some setup/diagnostics software provided with given card.
But there's nothing universal.

or a tool which detects addr, irq, dma for given card in given slot?

With ISA, it's not even possible - all the slots share the same signals, there's no "geographical addressing" like in PCI and other modern buses.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tbh, I find PnP ISA cards much harder to deal with. With non-PnP it's quite simple, a card is set for certain resources and that's it. It's up to you to keep track of what uses what.

That's actually a big advantage if you don't know what a card is set at. Exactly what your options are depend on the type of card, but basically there are two routes:
1) try to guess working settings (based on common defaults for that type of card).
2) use a second, known-good with known settings and use that to check when *it* has a conflict, indicating that the other card is probably using that resource.

But agree with others above: what kind of card are we talking about here? Do you have a good photograph we could use to think along with you?

Reply 7 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's the problem exactly? Except cheap multi-i/o controller cards from back then, 99% of all non-pnp cards have jumpers that tell you what they are for. Show me e.g. a soundcard with jumpers for base address, irq, and dma that has no silk-screening explaining the jumpers.

Reply 11 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really? All three jumpers have a description next to them. The problem you have with not getting that thing to work is that you don't have the correct software / drivers for it. You can't just use drivers from some other hand scanner and expect it to work.