Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29720 of 52357, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Turbo -> wrote:
Got this little beast today. Quite heavy too. Which system would this case be the most suitable for? Socket 7, Pentium 2 or Pent […]
Show full quote

Got this little beast today. Quite heavy too. Which system would this case be the most suitable for? Socket 7, Pentium 2 or Pentium 3? Currently the system has AMD Athlon 2Ghz, with 512Mb RAM and 12GB HDD, but will remove the current build, because I don't like it. I want to use this PC with DOS and maybe Win95.
file.php?id=66608&t=1
file.php?id=66607&t=1

Nice case - a Macase Galaxy KA-580? I'm currently trying to wangle a deal for their similar (bare) Enterprise KA-588, circa 1998 (same frame, different front bezel)

MACASE ENTERPRISE Series.jpg
Filename
MACASE ENTERPRISE Series.jpg
File size
185.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29722 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

You sitting down and digging in...

that's a pretty accurate depiction on what it looked like actually, the whole floor was littered with boxes and packing material 🤣

looking forward to playing around with this:

hardware20.jpg
Filename
hardware20.jpg
File size
108.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29723 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have one myself and the battery's still good. I recommend soldering a battery holder for a CR2032 battery for easy battery replacement. I tinkered around with mine testing it with DOSBox and some games using the Roland UM-ONE MKII. There are custom presets that can be loaded into memory and stored (battery must be good). I'll be connecting it to my 486 with the Roland MT-32 and Yamaha DB50XG (CHiLL Wavetable board).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29724 of 52357, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yamaha FB-01 has native support in Silpheed - make sure to try it with this game.
And maybe some other games by Sierra?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 29725 of 52357, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a rather cheap socket 370 board, the Canyon 6SP2AS-T. Supposedly it's Tualatin-capable, but the seller tested with a Tualeron and not a PIII-S like I've got waiting for it, so I suppose we'll see how it goes. Fallback CPU is a Coppermine 1GHz PIII, but I'm hoping it won't come to that. It's going to replace Samsur. I find even with the 512MB RAM limit the 815EP is loads more stable than the KT133A. Samsur's board needs a new BIOS EEPROM and probably a recap, so it's definitely going to ride again one day, but for now, friendship ended with Thunderbird, now Tualatin is my best friend. I may have jumped the gun a bit and already wrote out a spec list for the machine, even though the board hasn't even shipped yet and I haven't tested to see if it works with my PIII-S. I'm hoping it will. Shipping is from the Ukraine, so wish me luck on it arriving in one piece... That probably explains why I've never heard of the brand or this particular board before. It's probably more popular in Eastern Europe. From my limited experience BIOSes tend to be in English exclusively anyway bar regional computer standards like the PC98 or whatever, so that shouldn't be an issue.

A big bonus of switching platforms is that I don't have to worry about overloading my power supply or accidentally overheating the CPU now -- Tualatin sips power by comparison with Thunderbird, and the Startech cooler I was using will be more than adequate considering it's rated for up to a 1400MHz Athlon. I've already slightly de-tensioned the mounting clip so I don't have any sad times with the socket on the board to account for the heat spreader.

Plans are to use the Ti4200, drives and PSU I was already using with Samsur, and my Vortex2 I've got laying around not doing anything. A 512MB RAM ceiling is the perfect excuse to make a 98SE build with A3D. If I had a Voodoo3 or better, I'd be willing to throw it in instead, but I don't and I'm not interested in paying the 3dfx tax. Most notable Glide games run on Al-Jalima's Banshee anyway, and what doesn't already has a working D3D or OGL renderer anyway.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 29726 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Have one myself and the battery's still good. I recommend soldering a battery holder for a CR2032 battery for easy battery replacement.

thanks, I'll keep that in mind, have a bunch of battery holders in my parts bin already 😀

Reply 29727 of 52357, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite a good day but it was not exactly a steal for our region.

The cases do have some oxidation and very small specks of rust on the white covers. The one with black interiors is a bit more solid.

The first mainboard is obviously a One-Hung-Low ((C) EEVblog) cheap chinese/taiwanese board. I thing it's the model with the cache under the CPU but I just did not bother.
The second mainboard is hopefully working. It's missing the sticker from one of the chipsets. Otherwise it's a nice board to run an MMX 233. I did bother to see the CPU on this one: Pentium 150.

Both have ATX connectors, no need to use adapters. Yey!

babyat1.jpg

babyat2.jpg

babyat3.jpg

babyat4.jpg

Reply 29728 of 52357, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elod wrote:
Quite a good day but it was not exactly a steal for our region. […]
Show full quote

The cases do have some oxidation and very small specks of rust on the white covers. The one with black interiors is a bit more solid.

The first mainboard is obviously a One-Hung-Low ((C) EEVblog) cheap chinese/taiwanese board. I thing it's the model with the cache under the CPU but I just did not bother.
The second mainboard is hopefully working. It's missing the sticker from one of the chipsets. Otherwise it's a nice board to run an MMX 233. I did bother to see the CPU on this one: Pentium 150.

Both have ATX connectors, no need to use adapters. Yey!

babyat1.jpg

babyat2.jpg

babyat3.jpg

babyat4.jpg

The first mobo is a super socket 7 and is worth more than the second, a normal socket 7 board from Soyo. The first can also use a 233mmx (or k6 or whatever s7 cpu). It also supports a bigger cacheable ram area (at least up to 128mb vs 64mb). The Soyo is a 430TX chipset which is also not bad but I would prefer the ss7 with Via mvp3 chipset...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 29729 of 52357, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elod wrote:
Quite a good day but it was not exactly a steal for our region. […]
Show full quote

babyat1.jpg

Do you know, or anyone else, the name of the PC case on the right?

Reply 29730 of 52357, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a surprising retro laptop haul today. I saw a post on Facebook Marketplace for a Panasonic CF-41, which is a 486 laptop known for its odd setup where the CD-ROM is under the keyboard! I've heard of it but never seen one so I decided to pick it up. The guy was very nice and said he had a box of other laptops if I was interested, so I took them as well. Turns out there was some real good stuff in there!

The overall haul is:

-Panasonic CF-41GT64AAM. Based on the model number this should be a DX4-100 with the TFT screen option! He thought it was a DX2-50, but I haven't done anything to check yet. Also has C&T video, ESS688 audio, and 16MB RAM.
-Panasonic CF-M31 subnotebook. I cannot find ANY information on this online. From what I've figured out, this should be a really cool mini laptop for DOS gaming similar to the Librettos-- it is TINY! It seems to have a P166MMX, NeoMagic graphics, Yamaha OPL3-SAX audio and a very nice 8" or so 800x600 display. And lucky me, it also came with the port replicator, external floppy drive AND external PCMCIA CD-ROM drive!
-Toshiba T2150CDS - a bit of a dud here, but still cool. This is a DX4-75 based laptop with 8MB of RAM, a built in CD-ROM and even has built in ESS688 audio. Unfortunately it has a DSTN display and that is glitching out a lot, so it probably won't be all that useful. It does have the external floppy drive though, which might work on other Toshibas of the same vintage.
-A 3com 3C574-TX PCMCIA ethernet card with the appropriate dongle.

Definitely got more than I planned on! Lots of laptop fun ahead!

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 29731 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost bought a PowerBook G4, but the hinge was broken on one side and there was no PSU with it (RCA jack-style) and would cost more to fix than it is to buy a good, used one on eBay.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29732 of 52357, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrKsoft wrote:
I had a surprising retro laptop haul today. I saw a post on Facebook Marketplace for a Panasonic CF-41, which is a 486 laptop k […]
Show full quote

I had a surprising retro laptop haul today. I saw a post on Facebook Marketplace for a Panasonic CF-41, which is a 486 laptop known for its odd setup where the CD-ROM is under the keyboard! I've heard of it but never seen one so I decided to pick it up. The guy was very nice and said he had a box of other laptops if I was interested, so I took them as well. Turns out there was some real good stuff in there!

The overall haul is:
-Panasonic CF-M31 subnotebook. I cannot find ANY information on this online. From what I've figured out, this should be a really cool mini laptop for DOS gaming similar to the Librettos-- it is TINY! It seems to have a P166MMX, NeoMagic graphics, Yamaha OPL3-SAX audio and a very nice 8" or so 800x600 display. And lucky me, it also came with the port replicator, external floppy drive AND external PCMCIA CD-ROM drive!

Definitely got more than I planned on! Lots of laptop fun ahead!

Awesome! That's similar in size to the librettos but has L2 cache 😀 Is it the one with the touchpad, or the little trackball? If it's the one with the trackball, I think it's also known as the "AL-N4"

This is the only reference I've seen for it online: https://download.milesburton.com/Libretto/www … /tips/cfm32.htm and here. Those two pages are archived from Fixup.net, which used to have a lot of tips for librettos and other ultraportables in the early 2000s.
Someone was selling the japanese version / a relative of the M31/M32/M33 on ebay recently

Reply 29733 of 52357, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:

Awesome! That's similar in size to the librettos but has L2 cache 😀 Is it the one with the touchpad, or the little trackball? If it's the one with the trackball, I think it's also known as the "AL-N4"

This is the only reference I've seen for it online: https://download.milesburton.com/Libretto/www … /tips/cfm32.htm and here. Those two pages are archived from Fixup.net, which used to have a lot of tips for librettos and other ultraportables in the early 2000s.
Someone was selling the japanese version / a relative of the M31/M32/M33 on ebay recently

Hm, yeah it looks like it may be the US version of the AL-N4. It is identical in appearance from what I can tell, with the trackball and all. The specs match up too (I was mistaken about the 166MMX - It really is clocked at 120mhz. DXDiag estimated the speed as 116mhz and I misread it 🤣 ).. but the bad news is that it means it doesn't have L2 cache. I just transferred some utilities on to the system and it reports none. Oh well, still not too bad 😀

Looks like the page you linked me is about the M32, which I suppose is the successor to this M31 model. Seems to bump it up to 166mhz, adds the cache and a USB port. Good info though, the hard drive replacement info will be useful when I grab another CF->IDE adapter.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 29734 of 52357, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrKsoft wrote:

[...] -Toshiba T2150CDS - a bit of a dud here, but still cool. This is a DX4-75 based laptop with 8MB of RAM, a built in CD-ROM and even has built in ESS688 audio. Unfortunately it has a DSTN display and that is glitching out a lot, so it probably won't be all that useful. It does have the external floppy drive though, which might work on other Toshibas of the same vintage. [...]

Interesting. I've got a T2130CS coming from a friend in New Zealand, he works in an e-waste facility and gets to save practically whatever he wants. Interestingly the machine I've got coming uses a US keyboard layout, so it's either an import or NZ primarily uses the US layout and I just didn't know. This one was obviously well-loved, it was upgraded to 24MB of RAM and comes with a 3C-589 PCMCIA ethernet card -- no dongle, I'll see if I can swipe one for peanuts on eBay. He didn't say anything about it having sound, but it does have a speaker grille that I have to wonder if it isn't meant for that... Although, mine two rungs down the ladder and is a CS rather than a CDS. I'll keep my fingers crossed but my expectations in check. Ditto on the DSTN screen, my friend specifically called it a "ghosty boi" so I know exactly what to expect. Seems the CT models are what to look for in terms of screen, but considering I'm getting the machine for cost of shipping (although, since it is international it's a bit hefty) I can't complain at all for it being my first 486-class machine. It has a ~500MB hard drive that he's trusting me to DBAN as soon as it gets here, so I'll definitely make sure to do that, but I'm also probably going to attempt to use a laptop-style SD to IDE adapter I've got coming on the slow boat from Shenzhen. The plan is to install the RTM version of Windows 95 on it, as I have no use for FAT32 on the machine but I could get a little something out of the more fuss-free networking (as well as ability to "run" Office 97) that 95 provides. I'll modify the MSDOS.SYS line BootGUI to 0 so I drop to a DOS prompt by default since a solid 95% of what I want to do with that machine is DOS-based. I could get a parallel CD-ROM or zip drive, but honestly, sneakernetting stuff over to it is the last thing I want to do, so I'm probably going to make heavy use of my SMB shares and FTP server. If it turns out to not have an ESS688, I'll probably procure an OPL3LPT and CVX4 for it when I get around to grabbing a couple Dreamblaster S2s as well.

EDIT: Just noticed yours has a built in CD-ROM. Yeah... mine doesn't. The D in the model number probably stands for both the CD drive and the audio circuitry to properly make use of it. I'll wait for it to get here and try to see if I have sound anyway, but my optimism just got downgraded to curiosity. 😒 Still, AdlibTracker can be made to look at port 378, can't it?

Last edited by Sedrosken on 2019-08-12, 17:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 29735 of 52357, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the same lot as my Compaq and the stinker PC in the retro activity thread. Post-cleaning that is :p

The black X-BOX is softmodded I believe:

xvhrRPul.jpg

ITKEUPfl.jpg?1

nrexzWfl.jpg

psYg40Gl.jpg

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 29736 of 52357, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a PC XT today! 😁

vI4PClP.jpg

Still no keyboard though...but it works!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 29737 of 52357, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaaaaaaaah got to love these IBM's and their spacy design 😀
Does it have a HD? It looks like it.
Now find a Model F (or M) :p

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 29738 of 52357, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It does! A 42 Mb Seagate 😁...ST-151. Its a late model XT it seems but I have yet to do a full deep dive on it.

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 29739 of 52357, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hasnopants wrote:

It does! A 42 Mb Seagate 😁...ST-151. Its a late model XT it seems but I have yet to do a full deep dive on it.

Wow a ST-251, these were built to last 😁 and no need to fuss with parking it, the ST-251 parked the heads by itself upon shutdown, not to mention its unique startup sound (some sort of hollow knocking noise, once heard never forgotten), IMO it's a real keeper!

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]