VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, I have an Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 card with an IDE interface.
I think this was a Sound Blaster kit with Sound card and CDROM.
The CDROM is a Sound Blaster proprietary with jumper that read 0123 ( No master or slave or cable select )
It is NOT SCSI , It is a 40-pin IDE drive.
Not sure what speed.
Model - Matsushita CR-563-b
The CDROM appear to functional but I am not sure because I can’t test it.

So I obtained a install diskette for the Creative CDROM. It uses the SBIDE.SYS driver.
I ran the install program and all went fine but the CDROM is not being recognized.

Any Ideas why it’s not working ?

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-08-13, 16:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not IDE but using the Panasonic interface. You can use up to four of these on one cable, that's what the jumpers are for (ID 0 to 3).

It won't ever work when connected to IDE, you may even damage the hardware doing this.

Reply 2 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

It's not IDE but using the Panasonic interface. You can use up to four of these on one cable, that's what the jumpers are for (ID 0 to 3).

It won't ever work when connected to IDE, you may even damage the hardware doing this.

Okay, I am just using this connected to the sound card. Single drive.
Will it work with a regular straight threw single IDE cable ?

I used this CDROM install package from Vogons driver lib.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=913

But I am not sure what the syntax would be in autoexec.bat and config.sys.

I am using

Autoexec.bat
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD01 /L:G

Config.sys
DEVICE=CDMKE.SYS /D:MSCD01

But the CDROM is not being detected.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 19, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Again: that drive uses the Panasonic interface, not IDE. It will neither work when connected to IDE, nor with an IDE CD-ROM driver. You need a sound card with a Panasonic interface for this, and also the Panasonic CD-ROM driver (like you did last, but you need both). The cable used is the same as with IDE, but that won't help you here, as the interface is not compatible.

These early drives are not very reliable anyway, so I recommend replacing it with a later IDE drive.

Reply 4 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Again: that drive uses the Panasonic interface, not IDE. It will neither work when connected to IDE, nor with an IDE CD-ROM driver. You need a sound card with a Panasonic interface for this, and also the Panasonic CD-ROM driver. The cable used is the same as with IDE, but that won't help you here.

These early drives are not very reliable anyway, so I recommend replacing it with a later IDE drive.

I like a good challenge. That’s the only reason I tinker with this old hardware.
Well, This CDROM came with my IBM PS/1 computer and the SB CT1740 and the CDROM are recognized in the IBM PS/1 Bios unlike other SB cards so I assume this SB card and CDROM was specific for this computer.

So I assume this CT-1740 has a Panasonic interface built in. I thought it was IDE but I guess not.

So does anyone know the correct syntax for this driver ?

I actually, had this CT-1740 working with a regular IDE CDROM.
I though something was different as the driver was posting Device#’s like a SCSI.

I found this driver page.
http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/cdrom/PANASONI/panason.html

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-08-13, 16:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 19, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CDMKE.SYS will work with the CR-563 on the CT1740.

If your SB16 is working at address 220 (from the SET BLASTER statement), then:
DEVICE=C:\{path}\CDMKE.SYS /SBP:220

Reply 6 of 19, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt you had a CT1740 working with an IDE CD-ROM drive, the CT1740 comes with a Panasonic/MKE interface only.

Also, you posted a screenshot of the initialization of a SB PnP card, which cannot possibly be a CT1740 as this model is non-PnP and must be configured with jumpers.

I recommend you take a picture of the sound card you're using because it's not really clear based on your posts.

Reply 7 of 19, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two driver files that I've run across, SBCD.SYS and CDMKE.SYS. Either will work, as they're both made for the Panasonic drive interface, but they have slightly different syntax. I think CDMKE.SYS is a generic driver distributed by Panasonic (or Matsushita if you prefer), while SBCD.SYS is Creative's customized version.

I have two systems with that Panasonic drive, and I don't remember which driver I ended up settling on or what the syntax was for sure, but I do remember there being different switches. One of them wanted the sound card's I/O address, while the other one wanted the CD interface's I/O address. The actual interface I/O is +0x10 from the base address, so, assuming A220, the CD address would be 230. AlaricD's response sounds right to me, with there being a specific "SB" switch to tell the driver you were providing the base I/O address, and to calculate the CD I/O address from that. I think you could also use /P:230 to specify directly. The SBCD.SYS, I believe, only took the /P switch. One of them (MKE?) also had a /Q or something that would fail quietly if you got the wrong address or didn't have the drive connected. I use this in mutli-driver boot disk configs.

Likewise with the Mitsumi and Sony interfaces, BTW, if you were to use a Multi-CD card and had any one of the trio of 2x CD-ROMs that were popular in multimedia kits at the time. The drivers I have for both of those want the CD I/O address as well.

All of the cables for these drives are plain, straight-through pinouts. The Panasonic and Mitsumi are 40-pin straight-through, while the Sony is 34-pin straight-through. If you're re-using IDE cables, only use 40-conductor (vs. Ultra 80-conductor) and preferably single-drive cables. For the Sony, if you're re-using a floppy cable, make sure there's no twist. I ended up making a handy cable with 34- and 40-pin connectors on each end (trimming off the 6 extra conductors at the 40-pin header) that I could use with any of the three.

Last edited by SirNickity on 2019-08-12, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it works with games and music.

I use these settings to get CDROM to work.
I also had to install the Sound Blaster 16 drivers.

Autoexec.bat
MSCDEX.EXE /S /D:MSCD01 /V /M:15

Config.sys
DEVICE=CDMKE.SYS /D:MSCD01 /SBP:220

Reply 10 of 19, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlaricD wrote:

CDMKE.SYS will work with the CR-563 on the CT1740.

If your SB16 is working at address 220 (from the SET BLASTER statement), then:
DEVICE=C:\{path}\CDMKE.SYS /SBP:220

Intel486dx33 wrote:

DEVICE=CDMKE.SYS /D:MSCD01 /SBP:220

Oops, I forgot the /D: switch, but key to getting it detected was that /SBP:220 (for the SoundBlaster Port). The driver wasn't designed to just check all the usual I/O ports, so leaving it off meant it wasn't told where to look so it didn't look.

Reply 11 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, In the CDMKE driver package readme.txt file it reads that /SBP:220 is optional and not needed so I did not add it originally.
But It appears it was needed, Also unlike IDE driver you don’t assign the drive letter with /L:D
This CDMKE.SYS driver automatically assigns the drive letter.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-08-13, 14:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 19, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:

One of them wanted the sound card's I/O address, while the other one wanted the CD interface's I/O address. The actual interface I/O is +0x10 from the base address, so, assuming A220, the CD address would be 230. AlaricD's response sounds right to me, with there being a specific "SB" switch to tell the driver you were providing the base I/O address, and to calculate the CD I/O address from that.

It's been SO LONG since I've used CDMKE.SYS (or SBCD.SYS) I forgot what the offset was, but +0x10 seems right. CDMKE.SYS seems more flexible *and* forgiving, since more people know their SB16's audio I/O port but might not know how the CD-ROM controller's I/O port address was determined.

Intel486dx33 wrote:

Yes, In the CDMKE driver package readme.txt file it reads that /SBP:220 is optional and not needed so I did not add it originally.

The README.TXT is a little confusing regarding the /P:nnn or /SBP:nnn, but it does seem you must use one of them. I'll bet you could replace the /SBP:220 with /P:230 and it would still work.

But It appears it was needed, Also unlike IDE driver you don’t assign the drive letter with /L:D
This CDMKE.SYS driver automatically assigns the drive letter.

CD-ROM drivers do not automatically assign the drive letter. That is the function of MSCDEX.EXE (which is technically a network redirector). It uses the /L: switch to specify the letter, but if it's in conflict with the "LASTDRIVE=" environment variable (if unset, the highest letter is either E: or one more drive than the highest assigned to a physical disk), then MSCDEX.EXE will return "Not enough drive letters available".

Reply 13 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just so you know, SB no longer means "Sound Blaster". It has been appropriated by the Chinese, and now it stands for "sha bi", which roughly translates to "dumb cunt". Seriously, whenever I see a brick wall or an elevator, some clever grade school student has carved an "SB" into the surface. You can imagine my disappointment when I was informed that the culprits were not in fact sound blaster enthusiasts.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 14 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Just so you know, SB no longer means "Sound Blaster". It has been appropriated by the Chinese, and now it stands for "sha bi", which roughly translates to "dumb cunt". Seriously, whenever I see a brick wall or an elevator, some clever grade school student has carved an "SB" into the surface. You can imagine my disappointment when I was informed that the culprits were not in fact sound blaster enthusiasts.

Well, if its not in Chinese writing it’s not really Chinese but English.

Reply 15 of 19, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have CT1740 and CR-ROM drive, but can't have it work via SBCD.SYS or CDMKE.SYS. Can you share the configuration files?

IMG_9047.JPG
Filename
IMG_9047.JPG
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_9048.JPG
Filename
IMG_9048.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 16 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay here are some photos of my config files.
I have a custom config file because it is part of the ibm original install
But just don’t add the ibm ps1 lines to your files.
I am running dos 621 and using a driver file called “CDROMDOS.SYS”

Attachments

Reply 17 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More photos

Attachments

Reply 18 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CDROM driver attached.

this sound blaster pro package should work.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =59&menustate=0
or
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=46

Attachments

• Filename
    CDROMDOS.zip
    File size
    6.14 KiB
    Downloads
    170 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception