VOGONS

Retro PC Case

Topic actions

First post, by LordGilboy97

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a new old stock beige/blue PC case I bought off of eBay for $35. I'm gonna be using this case for my budget Windows 98 gaming PC. What do you think?

IMG-0012-compressed.JPG
Filename
IMG-0012-compressed.JPG
File size
114.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG-0013-compressed.JPG
Filename
IMG-0013-compressed.JPG
File size
126.47 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-0015-compressed.JPG
Filename
IMG-0015-compressed.JPG
File size
130.44 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-0014-compressed.JPG
Filename
IMG-0014-compressed.JPG
File size
127.17 KiB
Views
File license

Did PC cases have color like this one in the late 90's?

Reply 1 of 9, by tdc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To me that looks more like an early-2000s design, with the smooth curves, translucent plastic and relatively small form factor. But it's not so far off from a late-90s design to be absurd.

Reply 6 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone else not a fan of these designs? Putting that power supply there will negatively impact cooling AND limits what you can put there.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that PSU placement can actually help with cooling, especially with SLOT cpus.
original ATX designs were built with PSU airflow in mind.

you shouldn't put a normal socket cooler with a fan that counteracts the PSU fan there of course.

according to wiki the original idea with ATX was to draw air into the case with the PSU but that apparently got canned 🤣

Last edited by imi on 2019-08-13, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

according to wiki the original idea with ATX was to draw air into the case with the PSU but that apparently got canned 🤣

Not quite canned. It was used regularly in [SFF] MicroATX desktop cases (for example HP) which used SLOT1 processors (that did not have active cooling by themselves).
The air would be sucked in via the PSU at the back of the machine and then sent via an airduct towards the SLOT1 passive cooler. (The PSUs only had 70-90 watts up to the PIII-500 era and therefore the air coming out of them even after prolongue usage is way below what one would call even "very warm")

Shortly after, this design was swapped around, since the vast majority of SLOT1 processors did use/demand active cooling. I myself have actually switched the fan inside one of these PSUs around so it now sucks the air out, since I have substituted the once present PIII-500 (passively cooled and gets rather hot) with a PIII-800 (which has active cooling and lower TDP).

Here you can see one of these ducts:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    213.87 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

interesting, I guess those cases were primarily made with slot CPUs in mind, most that I see around seem to have PII/PIII slot systems inside, I also remember having a case like that with a PII system around.
the posted one still seems to be a newer case though.