VOGONS

First post, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, starting a new compatibility, I hope to get at least version 0.08 to run as many games correctly as 0.07, so... 😀

* Unreal and Unreal Tournament
Almost perfect, the only issue is with detail textures

* Myth: The fallen lords
Perfect, as far as I tested

* Ultimate Race Pro:
Perfect, as far as I tested

* Turok: Dinossaur Hunter
Almost perfect, problem with the text in the menus

If anyone find a game that runs ok on 0.07 and not on 0.08 please let me know.

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's wrong with Unreal engine games? With previous versions I would get white textures. With this latest version they look fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

What's wrong with Unreal engine games? With previous versions I would get white textures. With this latest version they look fine.

That's mipmapping. You probably had different mipmapping settings when you tried the two versiond. Mipmapping for some of the texture types works only for square textures. I think its my fault: I first noticed it when I put in a mipmapping routine for paletted textures; trouble is I can't see anything wrong with the code.

Reply 4 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

Hummm, do you know in what textures they do that?
So I can look at the code, is it only palette textures or in all?

I think its just the paletted textures. When I added the paletted texture support, I first tried gluBuild2DMipmaps but it seemed to
filter the palette indexes and thus gave weird results. So I coded my own mipmap generater (just decimating). That seemed to work fine with RB3D, but then I noticed other games lost textures
in places, and it seemed to be only if the textures weren't square.

Reply 5 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

008a1

Tomb Raider: Perfect

Descent II: Perfect

Redguard: Perfect, except for the sun, which is a known problem

Extreme Assault: Perfect

Grand Theft Auto: Perfect

Dreams to Reality: Perfect

Blood: No worse than before, in my experiments

Reply 6 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

I think its just the paletted textures. When I added the paletted texture support, I first tried gluBuild2DMipmaps but it seemed to
filter the palette indexes and thus gave weird results. So I coded my own mipmap generater (just decimating). That seemed to work fine with RB3D, but then I noticed other games lost textures
in places, and it seemed to be only if the textures weren't square.

BTW, my mipmap generator is called genPaletteMipmaps, and
is in PGTexture.cpp

Reply 10 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

Well Paul, I changed the code and commited to sourceforge, can you generate a build and test it in the games that use the Palette textures, enable mipmapping and test it please.

Sure, no worries, but Unreal is an example of a game that loses textures when mipmaping is enabled, so you can test also... makes me wonder if I'm wrong about it being paletted textures, because I didn't think Unreal would use palettes.

Reply 11 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's fixed Redguard and Unreal, which are the two games where I saw the texture drop out. Nice one. So you have
to take mipmaps past the one-pixel-wide-line stage right down
to a single point. I didn't realise that.

Reply 12 of 18, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great news, we are really getting to a good point... 😀
I am glad it fixed the mipmaping bug, OpenGLide and consequently Glidos is increasing greatly its support for games, do you guys have any wish of a game to make it work?
I can concentrate on Descent Freespace, or others. Maybe fixing one thing in one game will fix a lot in others, who knows?

Reply 15 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got the 1.0 and 1.2 CD vers of HIND and I downloaded the patches 'bout 3 weeks ago.

I think we can do it. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 18, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I've said before, I really want to see POD working. 😀 (Craig wants it too.)

But first, we need to get the non-Glide version working in Windows 2000/XP. And there's not a whole lot of directions on that.
We may need an ACT/QFixApp guru to take a look at it.

But by all means, go work on the game Paul wants first. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I tried Hind I got a log file full of errors. As far as I could see no OpenGL calls were working; all returning errors. My guess is that it sets up some nasty fullscreen DirectDraw mode, and that stop OpenGL initialising. See, that would be okay with a voodoo pass through card, but not so hot for a wrapper.