Topic actions

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw this on LGR today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBNHb236X6Y

I had been tracking on this game so this is the first impression I have had of it.

As a retro games fan myself, I always thought nostalgia and retro novelty had something to do with my retro fetish. There is something so soulless about most modern games... realistic but so fucking boring and without personality. The best comparison I can make is it is like certain modern artists who paint ultra realistic scenes with acrylics or digital art, but fail to make any kind of impression. Ok, its technically very good and looks like a photograph... SO WHAT! I don't feel anything when I see it. What statement are you trying to make? What about it is "art"?

Looking at this game, it tickles me in all the right places. I love how overt the lighting effects are. I love the "graphic novel" in motion aesthetic. I love the twichy, fast animations. I love the environments, the sound effects, the synth music. I love that it makes me excited to play, and that when watching LGR do his thing, I find my hands and fingers twitching sympathetically.

It isn't just that it is a 3D build engine game. It is that it is actually well crafted and visually interesting. I can't wait to play.

For sure going to be buying this today. I though you folks here might also appreciate it 😀.

Reply 1 of 132, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They had me at "tracker music." Will be grabbing it when I have some time to sink my teeth in.

I don't suppose there's any DOS port of Build that will play this, but it's awesome that it got made all the same.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 132, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up the big box version for my shelf.. looks like an excellent game that I can stick next to my copies of Duke3D and Shadow Warrior. I've been interested in it since it was called Ion Maiden and I'm pretty excited that it wasn't scrapped after that whole debacle. 😵

Last edited by wiretap on 2019-08-15, 09:43. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 132, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh watched this last night as well and liked what I saw. I'm not the biggest build engine fan only getting into Duke3d but to use your words "the maps in this looked visually interesting" and I think at least off the video they have the retro/nostalgic vs modern enhancements balance just about right.

It looked so good I thought about getting a boxed copy for 1/2 hr to relive the full thrill of buying a game, but then I saw the price:(
I'm still happy with the fact its on GOG, and not locked into DRM restrictive sites.

Will be interested in "how low can it go" OK Dos it probably never going to happen, but wonder if it can be made to run on XP or 9x

Reply 4 of 132, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't bought a shooter in years but I'm surprised to find myself tempted by this, it looks excellent - tracker music + nostalgic pop references 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 132, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually did buy the big box version last night. As a result of signing on to do that, It looks like I get downloads for some of their other games too and they sent me a Steam key for Ion Fury this morning. I might redeem it to see if I can search through the files to see if it might not be running on a modified EXE and actually have a way to play it in old school DOS style similar to what could be done with Sigil. Or, I might just wait until I get my big box copy with the game on a USB drive and do something creative with the steam key version instead...hmmm

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 8 of 132, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Purchased and added to the backlog of games I need/want to play through. Wish I could play it on my P3 98SE rig, but it doesn't appear that will be possible.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 9 of 132, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ultimate386 wrote:

Purchased and added to the backlog of games I need/want to play through. Wish I could play it on my P3 98SE rig, but it doesn't appear that will be possible.

under requirements
"Any 64-bit Intel or AMD CPU"

and the engine they are using is called eduke32 and has up to date 32bit builds! 😵

Reply 10 of 132, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking at this game since 3D Realms announced it, but I still don't know if I'll bought it.

This game is not exactly pricey, but remember that every game made with Build engine is/was sold for about $7, so I wonder if it really worth that $24 price tag. Also I wonder how good it is compared to another $20 games sold nowadays.

I guess I'll buy it on summer/winter/anything sales, but...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 11 of 132, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

I've been looking at this game since 3D Realms announced it, but I still don't know if I'll bought it.

This game is not exactly pricey, but remember that every game made with Build engine is/was sold for about $7, so I wonder if it really worth that $24 price tag. Also I wonder how good it is compared to another $20 games sold nowadays.

I guess I'll buy it on summer/winter/anything sales, but...

Depends on how you look at it.
Duke3D was definitely full price when new, Shadow Warrior and Blood maybe bit less (think Heritc vs Doom pricing)
then you had the budget titles as the engine aged like Redneck Rampage or Nam, plus the above games had been out for a while then so also discounted.

This looks more along the quality of the first 3 games then a budget release, Plus it new, but yeh, it's still a game based on an old engine, I think of it along the lines like of something like Doom BFG edition, It's not entirely new but new enough to be a separate product, of course if that justify's $24 is up to you of course.

SPBHM wrote:

under requirements
"Any 64-bit Intel or AMD CPU"

and the engine they are using is called eduke32 and has up to date 32bit builds! 😵

I'm hoping it can be made to work with 32bit build, but can understand for maxamum comparability shipping it preconfigured with 64 bit makes scene, just like gog ships games with dosbox.
Also the reason I like the tracker music idea now, originally I was bit disappointed about it not been midi, but nothing modern has decent midi these days (accept maybe few guys here)

Reply 12 of 132, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sigil's physical release wasn't cheap either and that was literally just an add-on that required you to have a full Doom in order to use it. However, I disagree on the Midi comment because I actually prefer Sigil's new Midi composition to the MP3 music it would normally want to play. Or at least I prefer the midi through my sound canvas modules.

So good midi is still possible, it just depends on who is composing it is all. In this case, it was likely easier to just compose the music in tracker format for a more consistent sound.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 13 of 132, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CrossBow777 wrote:

tracker format for a more consistent sound.

My point exactly, keep in mind the type of hardware this will be installed on 99% of the time. Some modern rig running Windows 7 or later most likely with on board sound.

Not saying mid cant be done well, just that most systems aren't set up for it

Reply 16 of 132, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah it's weird that this game is SDL2 and 64bit when it looks the way it does. I believe it's using a modified eduke32 so someone may haxor a solution for older versions of Windows.

I think I remember seeing a statement by one of the devs stating that one of the reasons they didn't offer a 32bit build due to issues with false positives and antivirus so seems like they toyed with the idea. Mabye if they are pestered enough then they could release a 32bit build which work on XP 32bit and possible 98se with kernelex and Windows 2000 with blackwingcat patches otherwise the lowest currently may be XP,2003 64bit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 132, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like mainline Eduke could be modded to support this game's assets, in the same way that every Doom port has been updated to run Sigil. But maybe that's more work than anyone's willing to put into it...

What's the minimum system for Eduke?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18 of 132, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ryzen released this version for Windows 95 in 2017 based on 2010 code:
eDuke32 for Win95

I believe the current minimum for eduke32 is Windows XP.

It looks like this is the last compiled ver using SDL 1.2:
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/ … /20131012-4097/

It's interesting that the build docs for eduke32 state that SDL 1.2 can still be used.....

That doesn't mean eduke32 will work on Windows 95 since ryzen must have encountered some issues which may be why the 2010 code was used.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline