MMaximus wrote:
imi wrote:
what about the A500s […]
Show full quote

what about the A500s

hardware24_05.jpg

a P3B-F... aaaand another P3B-F nice 😁

Nice haul!

Are all you P3B-F boards working? I'm fiddling with a PC I got in a lot that had a P3B-F in it, but it won't post. It powers on, onboard LED switches on, but no beeps, no video. Caps all look fine so not sure what the problem is at this stage. Would be a shame to recycle it if it can be saved somehow.

I have a P2B-F and not POSTing either. I'm planning on looking at the solder points, clean the CPU and RAM sockets, and the AGP, PCI, and ISA slots. Caps are good as well and I don't have any spare PC speakers as they are either glued, tossed out, or installed in my other computer that's in storage at the moment. Remove the IDE LED jumper as sometimes, that can cause the system to not boot.

Also, there's a blank, jumperless CMOS clearing on the board labeled CLRTC. Turn the system off, disconnect the power (or turn the PSU switch off), place a flat tip screwdriver on the two solder pads to short them (plastic handle screwdriver is better), release, turn the PSU and the system on, and see what happens. I'll report back later on and see if that fixes my issue.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2019-08-22, 02:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29901 of 52357, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

[...]

well I did pay a good amount for the keyboard (think all the three in-wins combined), at least to my standards for a single piece of hardware, it's green alps, I honestly can't say if that's the same our original keyboard had, since I didn't really care that much about keyswitches back then ^^, and this particular model did come with different switches apparently, I do very much like the fat enter and the very angular case though.

Green Alps? Supposedly the best linear switch ever made... I'm more of a clicky person (love Model F and Kailh Box Blue, Like Alps White and Model M and sort of like old MX Blue) or failing that tactile, but a good keyboard is a good keyboard, and looks like you got one 😀

[...]

as for your question... voodoo 2 SLI in addition to GF3? ^^

Uhuh, wanna swap 2x V2-12 for my 1x V3-3000? 😜

I used to have two, first paired with an ATi Rage Pro, then a Matrox G450, finally with a Gf2MX, before I sort of gave up on Voodoo, back in the day when you could pick them up for EUR 10 or so each. Then again, back then I also had a V5-5500 PCI, two NV1s, oh, and some Indys and a NeXTstation... all offloaded for almost nothing when I moved from house in small town with cellar and garden shed to tiny appartment in big city 🙁

Edit:
Parhelia's not an option regardless - no Win9x support at all... I have a G400Max somewhere though, EMBM FTW 😜

Last edited by dionb on 2019-08-21, 21:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29902 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Uhuh, wanna swap 2x V2-12 for my 1x V3-3000? 😜

nuh-uh ^^
sorry 😁

I sold my Voodoo 2 8MB and G200 like 20 years ago trying to recoup the costs for the TNT2 utlra I fortunately still have to this day.
I have since recovered both of them to rebuild my 1998 system though, have all of it here now with the case, just need to build it.

I never had another voodoo card after that until like a month ago ^^

Reply 29903 of 52357, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Now, I can't judge your cards or your hearing, but please don't try to undermine credibility of anyone who claims to hear anything that disagrees with your own preconceptions.

Not trying to put this all on you; the blanket generalizations and otherwise factless comparisons are just getting really, really old.

Reply 29904 of 52357, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just received this guy today, going to cut my teeth networking with Linux. 4 port gigabit ethernet. The motherboard I'm using is a Tyan S2707, Socket 478 533Mhz bus with 133Mhz PCI-X, so a bit of an odd one. Just waiting on my 4GB of ECC DDR266 to come in the mail.

DPzJrSXl.jpg

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 29906 of 52357, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spotted this ESI / Audiotrak Maya 44USB audio thing at a thrift shop. I've been after a compact multichannel interface for DJing and this seemed to fit the bill: 4 inputs, 4 outputs, and a separate headphone jack for cueing (and even optical S/PDIF bodged through the headphone jack, always nice to have.)

CameraZOOM-20190821231214685.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20190821231214685.jpg
File size
234.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm out of mobile data for the month so I couldn't look it up in the store, but it was only five bucks so I grabbed it. When I got home I was surprised to find full ASIO drivers for Windows 98 all the way up to Windows 8.1 64-bit (& presumably Win10 too as it's class compliant.) It also supposedly works in Mac OS9 but the software on the website starts at OS/X, although it might just plug in and work. I didn't need to install anything on my Macbook running 10.9 for basic audio functionality, but there's a control panel to be had there. Haven't tried Linux yet, but it's natively supported by ALSA so I'd expect it to work fine.

That's an impressive level of software support in my opinion! Pretty pleased for five bucks. I'm mostly just posting this in case one of you are looking for an interface to mess around with on both retro PCs and modern ones; seems like a good option.

There was also a bare Abit BH6 (with a broken DIMM slot) lying on the shelf of electronics with a $10 sticker on it. This was a legendary overclocking board back in the '90s lan party days, and I even have a Celeron 300A that could go with it, but it was pretty tatty & I have more slot 1 stuff than I'm ever gonna use so I left it for someone else.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29907 of 52357, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice, I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 (uses a PCI interface and rack unit connected with a DB-25 cable). It works with pretty much everything too. I'm using it with an Athlon X4 and Debian 10. It has 8 pairs of balanced 1/4" inputs, SPDIF, and MIDI. You probably won't find one for 5 bucks though.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 29908 of 52357, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of all the things that could have happened, finding something I was looking for on eBay that I was able to pick up locally was not what I expected.

IMG_20190821_235446.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190821_235446.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license

Yeah. the Voodoo 3 3000 I have been looking to find was here all along.

IMG_20190822_001704.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190822_001704.jpg
File size
684.05 KiB
Views
File license

And here's a shot of the processor, because I thought I should swap in some new paste.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 29909 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, you may want to replace the whole cooler with something that has active cooling. The passive cooling solution does not do as good a job as most people are comfortable with. Here's what I did on my 5.5ns one:

3dfx-Voodoo-3-3000-D.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29910 of 52357, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Actually, you may want to replace the whole cooler with something that has active cooling. The passive cooling solution does no […]
Show full quote

Actually, you may want to replace the whole cooler with something that has active cooling. The passive cooling solution does not do as good a job as most people are comfortable with. Here's what I did on my 5.5ns one:

3dfx-Voodoo-3-3000-D.jpg

I was planning on using case fans for that purpose, but thank you for the advice. I'll be looking in to better cooling once everything has settled in to a case.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 29911 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

some new stuff arrived - they were used as a combo back in the day 😀

OlJ1xO3l.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 29912 of 52357, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A combo you say ? I have a CT1740 and this Korg wavetable, can you tell me more about this ? 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 29913 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what is there to tell? the original owner had the korg db on the sb16 and connected some keyboard synths with the midi cable to make music that's it 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 29915 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

nice ^^

I have yet to get a single wavetable board, they always end up so expensive... meanwhile I keep amassing external midi modules ^^

If you want a good and affordable daughterboard then Dreamblaster S2 is currently on a 12,50% discount on Serdashop, and it's an absolute steal for the money.

Reply 29917 of 52357, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Actually, you may want to replace the whole cooler with something that has active cooling. The passive cooling solution does no […]
Show full quote

3dfx-Voodoo-3-3000-D.jpg

Hey I like your cooler (I think it´s pretty cool 😜), where did you get it, how are the temps?
Thanks

Reply 29918 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a standard black 40x40mm peltier cooler with a 40mm fan mouned on top. It's glued to the chipset with thermal tape. AFAIK you can't monitor temperature on a Voodoo 3 but it runs considerably cooler than the passive cooler.

Reply 29919 of 52357, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@appiah4, why do you need to use peltier element? 😮

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!