VOGONS

First post, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Is this motherboard good for Pentium Pro build?

Attachments

• Pentium Pro.jpg
    Filename
    Pentium Pro.jpg
    File size
    1.18 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 19, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't see why not. Reputable brand (Tyan), Socket 8, 440FX chipset, standard form factor, coin battery. Looks like a very nice board!

It is.a pity that the second CPU socket isn't present.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 4 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
n0m4d wrote:

I want to build ultimate pentium machine, i have dilema betwen single pentium pro 200 vs dual pentium 200

Dual Pentium Pro 200 of course.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 19, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
n0m4d wrote:

I want to build ultimate pentium machine, i have dilema betwen single pentium pro 200 vs dual pentium 200

i wish, i have to choose between single pentium pro 200 or dual pentium 200. non pro

Reply 6 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
n0m4d wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
n0m4d wrote:

i wish, i have to choose between single pentium pro 200 or dual pentium 200. non pro

If you will use an OS that will benefit from SMT then I'd use the Dual P200, otherwise the 200PRO would be a nice and rare system.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 19, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
n0m4d wrote:

Surely a Dual Pentium II Overdrive (Deschutes) 😎, but the Ultimate would be an ALR 6x6, see http://www.cpushack.com/2019/01/16/part-3-min … dware-and-bios/

Reply 9 of 19, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
n0m4d wrote:

what do you think guys, is a chance to solder second socket 8 and it will work?

It's possible, but you also need to install a VRM connector and a VRM in it next to the unpopulated socket, and also it would be preferable to have a board with both sockets populated to see which components could be missing.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
n0m4d wrote:

Define "ultimate"...

P200 and PPro200 are completely different beasts. In 32b OS and/or FPU intensive tasks the PPro blows the old Pentium away, but in 16b OS (i.e. DOS and to lesser degree Win9x) the PPro is actually clock-for-clock slower.

In Doom, a PPro200 scores about the same as a P166(non-MMX). Talking of that, is that dual P200 non-MMX or dual P200MMX?

Either way in DOS and Win9x you're not using the second Pentium either.

That means that which performs better depends on both OS and workload (single vs multiple threads):

16b DOS or Win9x: P200 probably wins, although results will be close.
32b WinNT or similar, single-threaded: PPro200 clearly wins.
32b WinNT or similar, multiple threads: close results, if FPU intensive single PPro200 possibly wins, if ALU intensive, dual P200 probably wins.

Either way I'm afraid this wouldn't be the 'ultimate' build, for So7 Pentium a dual P233MMX would be the fastest option, particularly if you have an i430HX board that lets you overclock to 282MHz or beyond. For PPro, you'd need 5 more CPUs (the 1MB cache version) to be able to claim 'ultimate'.

Reply 12 of 19, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
n0m4d wrote:

i have this motherboard with 2x Pentium 233 MMX

Nice setup, which motherboard is it and what is the winbond chip between the PCI slots and the USB cable ?

I would love to know what my SIV utility reports for it as I have never tried it on a Dual Pentium system, please will you will post to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help

Reply 13 of 19, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote:
n0m4d wrote:

Nice setup, which motherboard is it and what is the winbond chip between the PCI slots and the USB cable ?

I would love to know what my SIV utility reports for it as I have never tried it on a Dual Pentium system, please will you will post to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help

its SMP Soyo 5TH10 (intel 430HX)

Reply 14 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
n0m4d wrote:

Then that's pretty ultimate for So7 Pentium.

Question remains which OS and applications you intend to run - as SMP needs WinNT or better, and no games from this period use the second CPU.

Reply 16 of 19, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like old dual CPU systems purely for their oddity, but dual CPU is not always the "best" just how today a multi-processor EPYC or XEON build wouldn't be the "best" especially for gaming ^^
so I think your single CPU board is going to do just fine.

Reply 17 of 19, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
n0m4d wrote:

i'm just looking for rare pentium build, with SB pro and Voodoo, i want to use best parts available this time

Then keep away from SB Pro - it's 8-bit, good for 286, 386, maybe even early 486.
Pentium, however, deserves 16-bit sound, preferably with wavetable.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 18 of 19, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, be very realistic about the level of performance you want out of it. You can get acceptable performance in early 3D-accelerated games with a good accelerator -- think a Voodoo2 or 3, Rage128, or TNT2. Just don't expect the world or hundreds of FPS out of... well, anything. And Grzyb is right, you want at minimum a Sound Blaster 16, probably an AWE card or maybe even a GUS if you've got one handy. In a pinch, anything with a real OPL3, 16-bit stereo sound, and a wavetable connector will do -- hence my "settling" for a CT2800 Vibra16S. It's kind of cheating, since it'll work with just about any OS with SB16 drivers, as I think these may have at one point been sold as SB16 PnP Value cards.

If you're going SMP, to see any benefit at all you'll want to run NT of some kind, whether that be 4 or 2000 really is up to you and what other hardware you're using. For my case, my Voodoo Banshee has pretty lackluster drivers available for NT5.x, so going to 2000 even on a blacktop 200 chip running at 233 resulted in me losing about a third of my framerate in Quake III, and this on a machine which already needed as much help as it could get with that game. Single-CPU systems have a bit of leeway -- you can run 9x if you'd like, I had good results with 98SE lite (shell swapped for 95's explorer) but you will invariably get better performance on a flavor of NT.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE