VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you please tell me a correct thread that teach me how to setup a multiboot in a computer that have already installed win98SE without reinstall it but just ADD WinXP? I have seen a moltitude of threads but never find what i need.

Tnks

Reply 2 of 19, by WinSxS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or install on second HDD (don't forget unplug first HDD to installation), imo better option.
Otherwise you got Win98 on partition C, WinXP on D, i think you don't want it 😀

Bad english? Don't mind, i'm still learning
Main PC: CLICK
Retro PC: CLICK

Reply 3 of 19, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WinSxS wrote:

Or install on second HDD (don't forget unplug first HDD to installation), imo better option.

Why not, if I may ask?

Reply 4 of 19, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks to all, first of all is a notebook, so only one drive. wich tool i use to partition the drive where win98se is already installed? and wich kind of partition must be the second one? (xp partition).

Reply 5 of 19, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I don't know, if I have a good answer for you, hut here we go.

I was able to do your desired dual boot setup, but only if I created Win 98 partition with its own FDISK utility and didn't use any 3rd party partition tools whatsoever (so you'll probably have to go through all of that partition stuff once again from beginning). You can read about it in following topic, with guide from other Vogons member.

[SOLVED] Win 98 / XP Dual Boot Problems

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 6 of 19, by WinSxS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wolfus wrote:
WinSxS wrote:

Why not, if I may ask?

First one - few applications requires OS installed on first partition (i mean C), second one - possible just for me - more comfortable, when I have OS on C.

So in my view you should install OSes on two hard disks, then pick in BIOS (ie. Hard Disk Priority) which has to be booting device.

Reply 8 of 19, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote:

i can't is a notebook.

Again, go through this topic and then use included guide there.

[SOLVED] Win 98 / XP Dual Boot Problems

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 9 of 19, by WinSxS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have no choice... So install standardly, 98 on C, XP on D and pray to all apps works fine 😁

Reply 10 of 19, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hiding primary partitions from another, only ever having the one with the desired OS active, ergo always having the booted Windows as drive C:, and doing all this with a few keystrokes in Smart Boot Manager is the way I would go.

Reply 11 of 19, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Hiding primary partitions from another, only ever having the one with the desired OS active, ergo always having the booted Windows as drive C:, and doing all this with a few keystrokes in Smart Boot Manager is the way I would go.

smart boot manager will be ok, but , now that win98 in already on the drive... can you suggest the step to install xp? my old-pc capability are a little rusted... tnks

Reply 12 of 19, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you have Win98 already on a partition? or the full drive? If so are you able to "cut off"/create a new primary partition for XP? If so, do that, create a new primary for XP, which should automatically hide the Win98 primary, as there can only be one active primary in Microsoft land. Afterwards, install XP, this will undoubtedly overwrite your bootstrap and automatically always launch XP afterwards. To "correct this", install Smart Boot Manager afterwards (or a manager of your choice). This will make the bootmanager appear each bootup, and you can activate/deactivate the primary of your choice from then on.

Reply 13 of 19, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

So you have Win98 already on a partition? or the full drive? If so are you able to "cut off"/create a new primary partition for XP? If so, do that, create a new primary for XP, which should automatically hide the Win98 primary, as there can only be one active primary in Microsoft land. Afterwards, install XP, this will undoubtedly overwrite your bootstrap and automatically always launch XP afterwards. To "correct this", install Smart Boot Manager afterwards (or a manager of your choice). This will make the bootmanager appear each bootup, and you can activate/deactivate the primary of your choice from then on.

Fantastic explanation, very clear. I have windows 98 in one partition, to create the partition for XP, do I have to use a live disk like UBCD or can I use software directly from windows98? tnks

Reply 14 of 19, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Fantastic explanation, very clear. I have windows 98 in one partition, to create the partition for XP, do I have to use a live disk like UBCD or can I use software directly from windows98? tnks

I would use DOS based or Live discs to use software like gparted or PartitionMagic 4.0 for DOS and create another primary.

Reply 15 of 19, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

after an hour of attempts I was able to find a working software to partition the disk. I created two partitions, in the first one remained windows 98 (which was already installed), while in the second I left it unformatted. I then rebooted the machine with the windows xp disk and with that I formatted the partition left free (empty space). Now starting the computer he asks me which system I want to start with (I think he uses a boot manager integrated in windows xp) and everything works, only that windows xp is now in the partition with letter (E). Do I try to see if everything works without making changes?

Reply 16 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote:

after an hour of attempts I was able to find a working software to partition the disk. I created two partitions, in the first one remained windows 98 (which was already installed), while in the second I left it unformatted. I then rebooted the machine with the windows xp disk and with that I formatted the partition left free (empty space). Now starting the computer he asks me which system I want to start with (I think he uses a boot manager integrated in windows xp) and everything works, only that windows xp is now in the partition with letter (E). Do I try to see if everything works without making changes?

If your happy with XP being on E:\ then I wouldn't worry.
I've been duel booting with Win98 on c:\ and XP on different letters for years without any problems.
Worst case XP can access Fat16 or Fat32 so if any crappy programs DO need to access c:\Windows, they still can (even if it isn't the correct windows)
But 99.9% of the time no one has any issues.

Reply 18 of 19, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote:

after an hour of attempts I was able to find a working software to partition the disk.

Which one?