VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29980 of 52362, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks man! Still doesn't tell me how to open the thing, but I'll take it.

Apparently the WL55 is a slightly revised model with at least one feature mine doesn't have: DOS disk compatibility. Oh well, my drive doesn't work yet anyway...

I don't think it will turn out to be particularly useful as-is, but this thing might make a nice little home for an Arduino or even a Raspberry Pi. Keep the original LCD & keyboard, and interface to them through the GP I/O pins. I'll file that on the list of things I'm never going to have time to do...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29981 of 52362, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

There was some nastiness in the battery compartment, because of course there was, but fortunately it cleaned up OK and doesn't seem to have damaged the plastic. Apparently nicad batteries "leak" into a weird fibrous solid.

Er, no, that means you just were lucky. Normally they leak all over the place and destroy the battery terminals, which often may look somewhat fine but turn out to be so brittle they shatter upon touch. So better open it up and check for other damage.

Very cool machine, BTW. I would leave it as is, nice piece of history. You may want to trawl through Japanese webpages and see whether it can do more than just load stuff from the ROM, because it sure looks like a Western version of a Japanese "Office Assistant" machine (and some of those can do a lot, including sometimes play simple games).

Reply 29982 of 52362, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

found a scrap box locally for once...

warning: graphic content.

whyyyy 😢

hardware27.jpg
Filename
hardware27.jpg
File size
214.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

😵

Reply 29983 of 52362, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if you're brave enough you can try to replace the chip, they're easily available on eBay

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 29984 of 52362, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

Well if you're brave enough you can try to replace the chip, they're easily available on eBay

Imi, also bought from the "screwdriver-man"? 😉 my cards look similar.

Deksor you are right: 355-0026-320 and 355-0026-220 are still available. And they seem to be exchangable. That means there is still hope for my screwdrivered 5500 too.

Reply 29985 of 52362, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
xjas wrote:

There was some nastiness in the battery compartment, because of course there was, but fortunately it cleaned up OK and doesn't seem to have damaged the plastic. Apparently nicad batteries "leak" into a weird fibrous solid.

Er, no, that means you just were lucky. Normally they leak all over the place and destroy the battery terminals, which often may look somewhat fine but turn out to be so brittle they shatter upon touch. So better open it up and check for other damage.

Very cool machine, BTW. I would leave it as is, nice piece of history. You may want to trawl through Japanese webpages and see whether it can do more than just load stuff from the ROM, because it sure looks like a Western version of a Japanese "Office Assistant" machine (and some of those can do a lot, including sometimes play simple games).

Look nice. Would also keep it as is. If it turns to be a standard 8088: Maybe you can exchange the ROM to make it boot DOS?

Reply 29986 of 52362, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:
found a scrap box locally for once... […]
Show full quote

found a scrap box locally for once...

warning: graphic content.

whyyyy 😢

hardware27.jpg

😵

I think I spotted that one for sale. Despite really wanting a V4, I decided against it... looks like a good call.

Make sure the seller knows how much value he destroyed.

Reply 29987 of 52362, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got two GUS cards for my collection - GUS MAX and GUS P&P Pro.

DSC_3018.jpg
Filename
DSC_3018.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license

I already own a GUS classic, so hope I will be eventually able to trace down also GUS ACE, GUS extreme and possibly non-pro P&P to own the complete family.

I plan to picture frame them as these are too troublesome to use in an actual PC 😀

These things are getting really expensive these days. Funnily back in 1995 I used GUS ACE since it was cheap. Now it costs a small fortune.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 29988 of 52362, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mpe wrote:
Got two GUS cards for my collection - GUS MAX and GUS P&P Pro. […]
Show full quote

Got two GUS cards for my collection - GUS MAX and GUS P&P Pro.

DSC_3018.jpg

I already own a GUS classic, so hope I will be eventually able to trace down also GUS ACE, GUS extreme and possibly non-pro P&P to own the complete family.

I plan to picture frame them as these are too troublesome to use in an actual PC 😀

These things are getting really expensive these days. Funnily back in 1995 I used GUS ACE since it was cheap. Now it costs a small fortune.

Very nice.

But why do you think they are too troublesome to use?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29989 of 52362, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

I think I spotted that one for sale. Despite really wanting a V4, I decided against it... looks like a good call.

Make sure the seller knows how much value he destroyed.

Predator99 wrote:

Imi, also bought from the "screwdriver-man"? 😉 my cards look similar.

haha yeah, their kind seems to be spreading... I jumped on it since it doesn't happen often that one pops up locally, and since I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping for once, this one wasn't all that expensive, the damage was not apparent from the sellers picture, but I knew I took a gamble when I saw all the heatsinks being popped off.

I'm trying to get into contact with a few people around and I'm seriously considering trying to get this card repaired... going the check out the PCB for any other damage since the bracket was pretty bent too.

but spending another $30 for the chip and then some for getting it soldered is another gamble in case it still won't work.

Reply 29990 of 52362, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a while again since I've been here. Last week I've been browsing a local online flea market and found something listed as an "Inno3D Innovision PCI videocard" untested, but just for 1.60$ which with shipping came out to be about 4.30$ total. I wanted one for a while for my 450MHz Deschutes build but 100$ on ebay wasn't the price I'd pay with a smile. It arrived today but sadly I have to wait until the weekend to check if it actually works. 😒

y0Pt002l.jpg

Over all it looks to be in decent shape. A bit dirty, there is a little bit of spider web in one of the heatsinks so I hope for the best.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 29992 of 52362, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great, another "word processor" I am now compelled to find.

I love those funky semi-computers, at least the ones that have screens (not that one-line-screen typewriter jobby).

I won't be in the market for a couple of months but I hope to find a good example of one of the late 80s/early 90s CRT word processors, especially one of the z80 machines because CPM, but it will depend on what shows up.

Also looks like 3dfx cards are falling from the sky, of course, timing!

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 29993 of 52362, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because I need another ISA sound card, the other 10 I have in my collection just isn't enough!

cryisa.jpg
Filename
cryisa.jpg
File size
342.02 KiB
Views
File license

At least I get them cheaply.

Reply 29995 of 52362, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:
Picked up a nice condition Asus P2B V1.12 Slot 1 motherboard. Love the build quality of Asus motherboard. Happy with this one! […]
Show full quote

Picked up a nice condition Asus P2B V1.12 Slot 1 motherboard. Love the build quality of Asus motherboard. Happy with this one!

YSk99Lkl.jpg

I have one similar to that, except 2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, and 4 RAM slots (up to 1GB supported), P2B-F, except the board is erratic at times: 1 long beep, pause, repeat, or no beeps. Need to replace the RAM and CPU slots and I flashed the BIOS chips with different build numbers.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29996 of 52362, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
combo complete! :D […]
Show full quote

combo complete! 😁

x0HhgSXl.png

D0rAp7Al.png

HxZm0nRl.png

EK8a9E9l.png

Wow, Very nice. How many turtle beach ISA cards do you have?
I only have a Monte Carlo.

Reply 29997 of 52362, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ actually atm this and a malibu nothing more in the TB front

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 29999 of 52362, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
Bancho wrote:
Picked up a nice condition Asus P2B V1.12 Slot 1 motherboard. Love the build quality of Asus motherboard. Happy with this one! […]
Show full quote

Picked up a nice condition Asus P2B V1.12 Slot 1 motherboard. Love the build quality of Asus motherboard. Happy with this one!

YSk99Lkl.jpg

I have one similar to that, except 2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, and 4 RAM slots (up to 1GB supported), P2B-F, except the board is erratic at times: 1 long beep, pause, repeat, or no beeps. Need to replace the RAM and CPU slots and I flashed the BIOS chips with different build numbers.

Might be bad capacitors?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀