VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

..A passion of mine ..which I have referenced previously is Floppy Disk archive and recovery.
I already had a Kryoflux unit and a Zoom floppy for CBM (1541)
But recently constructed a dual drive SCP unit to go with my floppy workstation setup.
So..
The attached photo shows win7 setup to access these drive units via USB.
The more square unit is the SCP (Supercard Pro) with 5 1/4 & 3.5 inch drives.
The flatter unit underneath it is the Dual drive 5.25" / 3.5 inch KF (Kryoflux unit)
The 1541 is connected by a usb Zoom floppy unit.
Hopefully I'm now covered for a large %age of floppies I might encounter.
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0038.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0038.JPG
    File size
    312.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you have both KryoFlux and Supercard Pro - which turns out to be more useful?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 6, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking good. Sad that the price of 3.5" floppy drives suddenly skyrocketed online. I used to buy them new for $10 each for every system I would build, but now, ouch. I'd like to be able to read and write all forms of disks, but I'm limited to IBM 5.25" and 3.5" formats with my current equipment. Shame, as I have a bunch of Amiga and Apple disks I can do nothing with, as idiots want a mint for computers that can read them because they're "retro", with no accounting for whether the systems actually work.

Just make sure to keep those drives cleaned, and lubed. Replace caps if you can, and try to keep the 5.25" drives covered when they're not in use. I just had to blast about nine pounds of dust and crud out of the drive in the tower I just rebuilt. I don't dare test it with a disk until I've cleaned and lubricated it even more.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 4 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome set up alright. A local chap does floppy disk and file recovery/conversion as a result of his "hobby".

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-08-31, 04:10. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 6, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote:

So you have both KryoFlux and Supercard Pro - which turns out to be more useful?

I wouldn't want to compare them in that way ..since both have the quirks and uses.
For just cloning and copying disks ..especially Amiga ..the SCP is the better choice.
..but for intensive analysis of damaged disks with degraded flux...then KF has the edge.
In truth I like both but I am however a bit annoyed that although KF can image disks easily ..SPS (software preservation society) have you jumping through hoops to access recovered images.
Even when you have bought their sponsored hardware (KF) and own the original disks (albeit degraded or damaged)
rgds
VS