VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing around with Windows 3.1 lately and found a neat trick after reading this site:

http://www.win31.de/etips.htm

The program WIN.COM is actually an executable with the boot logo appended to it. The original COM file is actually WIN.CNF in the system/ directory.

So, if you rename WIN.CNF to WIN.COM and place it in your C:\WINDOWS folder then it will boot without the logo. In my case, the file size shrunk from 41.9kb to 13.8kb. That's some pretty big savings. 😀

It also skips displaying the logo which is nice when you're only using Windows to bootstrap a game.

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote:

In my case, the file size shrunk from 41.9kb to 13.8kb. That's some pretty big savings. 😀

How small can a hard disk be that 28 kb less do matter? There are readme files included that are bigger an can be deleted. I don't see why one would care about 28 kb for a Windows installation that is way over 10 mb in size.

Reply 3 of 6, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good info. I doubt the filesize matters to most of us but I remember hearing about crazy projects where people would minimize Win3.1/3.11 to the point where it would fit on a single 1.44 floppy.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 4 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool tip. Thanks.

BinaryDemon wrote:

Good info. I doubt the filesize matters to most of us but I remember hearing about crazy projects where people would minimize Win3.1/3.11 to the point where it would fit on a single 1.44 floppy.

Yip. China Dos Unions Mini-Windows. [link to copyrighted software removed by moderator]

dos.png
Filename
dos.png
File size
1.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
win32.png
Filename
win32.png
File size
6.2 KiB
Views
File license
win3.png
Filename
win3.png
File size
7.56 KiB
Views
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me of the 90s. Back then, I tried to make Windows 3.1 fit on an 1.44MB floppy. ^^

Anyway, there's something even cooler than that.
Some person managed to install Windows 3.1 on a BIOS chip. 😎
On hackaday.com, for example, there's an article of it called "Windows 3.1 In My BIOS?".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//