VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I finally finished going through a lot of old systems got last year. These are late '90s early '00s ATX systems - I sold one case but decided to recycle the others as they're not in the best shape and there doesn't seem to be any interest in them anyway.

XoCxy8Kl.jpg

I salvaged what I could. Apart from a Voodoo 3000 I found in the Compaq, there doesn't seem to be any other interesting card in there. Nevertheless, I removed them all and gave them a wash.

kbF9wdLl.jpg

Video cards are:
S3 Trio3D/2X
Geforce 4 MX440 64Mb
Geforce MX4000 64Mb
Radeon 7000 32Mb

4 sticks of RDRAM coming from the HP Vectra, unable to test them.

Several PCI network cards.

A few lowly PCI Sound Blasters.

To my eyes it's mostly junk but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything there?

Motherboard-wise there was an ASUS P3B-F that I'll keep, and these two horrors:

uDgGzWQl.jpg

They both have bulging caps, one has a Duron 1000 and the other an Athlon XP1700+. One posts and the other doesn't - at present these are likely candidates for recycling.
I've been unable to figure out how to remove the motherboard from the HP Vecra (doesn't post anyway) and I left the mobo of the compaq in its case out of sheer laziness.

Waiting to hear about your opinions before I do anything with these!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 20, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
So, I finally finished going through a lot of old systems got last year. These are late '90s early '00s ATX systems - I sold one […]
Show full quote

So, I finally finished going through a lot of old systems got last year. These are late '90s early '00s ATX systems - I sold one case but decided to recycle the others as they're not in the best shape and there doesn't seem to be any interest in them anyway.

XoCxy8Kl.jpg

I salvaged what I could. Apart from a Voodoo 3000 I found in the Compaq, there doesn't seem to be any other interesting card in there. Nevertheless, I removed them all and gave them a wash.

kbF9wdLl.jpg

Video cards are:
S3 Trio3D/2X
Geforce 4 MX440 64Mb
Geforce MX4000 64Mb
Radeon 7000 32Mb

uDgGzWQl.jpg

They both have bulging caps, one has a Duron 1000 and the other an Athlon XP1700+. One posts and the other doesn't - at present these are likely candidates for recycling.
I've been unable to figure out how to remove the motherboard from the HP Vecra (doesn't post anyway) and I left the mobo of the compaq in its case out of sheer laziness.

I have a full tower version of that case with the blue power button
dEPLAZl.jpg
it currently houses a Pentium 1 430VX Windows 95/WFWG 3.11 dual boot build.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 3 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.. I wish we had the availability of old cases over here that you apparently have over there.

In any case, that Slot-A Athlon 500 most likely has a 650 core in it. Easy enough to take the casing off and resolder the jumper resisters... even easier if you have a goldfinger device.

As for those motherboards, both of them were quite popular back in the day. The ECS board was more for the budget-y type builds but was still a quite solid board. The Epox board was one of the better boards.

I would save them and recap them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

and these two horrors:

Epox boards had a great reputation for features, overclocking and stability - until they shot themselves in the foot with crap capacitors like these. If you re-cap. that 8KHA+ is probably the best Via KT266A board you could find.

As for the K7S5A, that was a legend that came out of nowhere. When it first arrived it was both the cheapest and best performing (in most metrics) SoA board out there. Build quality was what you'd expect for the low, low price, but if you were gentle and didn't brick the thing with the infamous floppy vs memory corruption thing on early BIOSs that reared its head when flashing to a newer one, you got a very elegant, trouble-free board. Until the caps went, that is. Later the KT266A (on boards such as the 8KHA+ you've got there) offered better performance, but the K7S5A remained a viable budget board almost to the end of the SoA era.

Reply 8 of 20, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the compaq second from right to left,
I think if it's the K6 model it's very common (I currently have one of these), the Pentium 3 model using that case is rarer and more interesting (I had one), at least I failed to track down the P3 model recently while I find the k6 all the time.

Reply 10 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a PC case? I thought that was some kind of dot matrix printer.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 20, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad I posted this! Thanks for the heads up - I didn't know these two mobos were actually nice ones. Not having the time or skills to repair them, I'll probably sell them to someone who will have a better use for them.

The case with the green button is the only one I've sold from the lot, it was an AT one and I thought it was worth saving, even though the build quality wasn't the best.

The Athlon 500 CPU came from the Compaq Presario, however since I don't have any other slot A board I won't hang on to it either.

The weird case on top of the desktop Compaq is actually a very odd system - some sort of 1990 terminal designed to send and receive Fax and Telex stuff. Everything is super proprietary, and I have no idea what kind of CPU is even in there. It actually still works - I've advertised it locally but I'm afraid this might end up being recycled as well.

TyvMWJVl.jpg

6qvdwH7l.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13 of 20, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder, what would be inside that tower AT case? (Light blue power button and MHz display)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 15 of 20, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

build a modern PC in the compaq presario case

hmmm... I'll pass, thanks 🤣

OTOH both boards with bulging caps actually seem to work!

L1HojHVl.jpg

VZfBQ2Sl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 17 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
The weird case on top of the desktop Compaq is actually a very odd system - some sort of 1990 terminal designed to send and rece […]
Show full quote

The weird case on top of the desktop Compaq is actually a very odd system - some sort of 1990 terminal designed to send and receive Fax and Telex stuff. Everything is super proprietary, and I have no idea what kind of CPU is even in there. It actually still works - I've advertised it locally but I'm afraid this might end up being recycled as well.

TyvMWJVl.jpg

6qvdwH7l.jpg

Is that a NUBUS slot? This gets even weirder.

I was going to say it looks like a piece of lab gear. I've seen things like gas analyzers and dataloggers that save results to a floppy disk & look like that. But yeah, this is definitely telecom-related... I wonder if it served some job on the Minitel network? Does it boot from ROM or is there a hard drive in there?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:

[...]

hmmm... I'll pass, thanks 🤣

OTOH both boards with bulging caps actually seem to work!

gdjacobs wrote:

Yeah, Epox boards were weird that way. Caps? Who needs caps?

Take a look at those voltages. Yes, they're all still within working spec, but all of them are out vs what you'd actually want to have and what the board should be able to deliver reliably. That's your bad caps there.

I'd strongly advise against using these boards for any period of time with these known-bad caps. Worst-case you could get a cascade of failure taking down a MOSFET to the point it could actually melt the PCB. That's not very likely - although I've seen it happen - but less spectacular failures could result in dead boards regardless. For now these boards still work so they deserve new high-quality low-ESR caps ASAP.

Edit:

xjas wrote:
MMaximus wrote:
The weird case on top of the desktop Compaq is actually a very odd system - some sort of 1990 terminal designed to send and rece […]
Show full quote

TyvMWJVl.jpg

Is that a NUBUS slot? This gets even weirder.

I was going to say it looks like a piece of lab gear. I've seen things like gas analyzers and dataloggers that save results to a floppy disk & look like that. But yeah, this is definitely telecom-related... I wonder if it served some job on the Minitel network? Does it boot from ROM or is there a hard drive in there?

That's no NUBUS-slot! 😉

It's a 96 pin 3-row connector all right, but in Nubus the connector is much closer to the backplate. If anything this looks like VME. Possibly the rightmost card could be Nubus though...

I can see a few references to Sagem, a well-known French telecoms company up to 2005- but it was already clear this thing was older than that. I wonder whether it might be a Minitel server or similar/

Reply 19 of 20, by luzkenin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows9566 wrote on 2019-09-01, 18:20:
I have a full tower version of that case with the blue power button https://i.imgur.com/dEPLAZl.jpg it currently houses a Pentiu […]
Show full quote
MMaximus wrote:
So, I finally finished going through a lot of old systems got last year. These are late '90s early '00s ATX systems - I sold one […]
Show full quote

XoCxy8Kl.jpg

kbF9wdLl.jpg

Video cards are:
S3 Trio3D/2X
Geforce 4 MX440 64Mb
Geforce MX4000 64Mb
Radeon 7000 32Mb

uDgGzWQl.jpg

I have a full tower version of that case with the blue power button
dEPLAZl.jpg
it currently houses a Pentium 1 430VX Windows 95/WFWG 3.11 dual boot build.

Does this case have a name or manufacturer or anything? I used to have this case and would like to find it again.